English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 July 2004, 17:15   #1
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Send a message via AIM to Nexjen Send a message via MSN to Nexjen
Retro Sound Packages help me!

Hello all ,
My basic mission is to emulate the sounds/chipset's of any old computers (SID/NES/MEGADRIVE etc) , Im using Fruity Loops at the moment but im really clued up at programs/midi composing. So I BASICLY does anybody have any idea where I can get started making music on the PC/Amiga?

What programs do you use?

What programs are a hassle?

- Thanks in Advance ~Nexjen
Old 12 July 2004, 22:58   #2
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Nobody?
Old 13 July 2004, 10:56   #3
Amiga1992

I wouldn't use any shit PC to emulate any old computer sound. I wouldn't use any other type of synth to emulate the computer sound either. The results won't be near as good. But if it fills your bill... Try some squarewave synthesis keyboards from the 80s.

What would be the problem in you sampling the real hardware and then sequencing in the PC?

Anyway fruityloops is not bad at all, at least I used it a lot until I got my Mac. A nice program that also lets you sequence MIDI in case you have any other sorts of external, MIDI-controllable devices. You can use the 3xosc instrument to try and pull some oldcomputerness shit. The TS404 can pull some vintagecomputer-like sounds too.

Modplug tracker is pure shit and it will only let you make mods. It won't let you synth anything so you are at ground zero with the sound making. If you are still in for a tracker use ReNoise or Mad Tracker. Or wait for Protracker II

Never tried Buzz but seems to be a poohman's Reaktor, which is not half bad. Should suffice on the synthesis side.

I don't know what expectations you have with yoru music making but I'd say Fruityloops is a pretty nice tool to start up and milk for quite some time (I still use it from time to time)

OOps forgot to say what I use. Fruityloops sometimes, Reason a bit, and on the Amiga, AHX and MusicLine. CyberTracker for the C64 (you could use GoatTracker on the PC), and LSDJ on the Gameboy.
Old 13 July 2004, 11:09   #4
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Arrow

This soundcard host a genuine SID chip, they say : http://www.hardsid.com/
This synth is built around a SID chip too, but it's out of stock : http://www.sidstation.com/

As for software, Reason v2 hosts a new synth, the Malstrom. It is possible to emulate old synth sounds using it. For an exemple, you can listen to my retro tune, Mistery Island. All the synth sounds were programmed on Reason's Malstrom Synth.

Last edited by Mr Softy; 13 July 2004 at 11:18.
Old 13 July 2004, 11:58   #5
woody57

Cool You asked about music on real miggy ?

For non enthusiasts I still like the easy interphase of musicline .

okay soits not an over complex GUI but its two basic pages allows fast creation via your miggy keyboard and the loading of sound sample sets is easy.

Obviously OCTOMED sound studio is the Daddy because it also allows your midi conections to be used , but it tends to over quantise everything , unlike bars & Pipes , or Camouflage.

But if your just talking EMU nexi then Akira has given you the best advice

By the way if you want to upload me your tunes my scarey & perverse deadwood site is now open , try not to look anywhere else and head for the guest tunes forum box

It will be up in 10 minutes
Old 13 July 2004, 12:22   #6
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
If you are still in for a tracker use ReNoise or Mad Tracker. Or wait for Protracker II
I've never come across either of these before. Thanks for the info, Akira. Mad Tracker's interface is too stuttery for me, but ReNoise is exactly what I've been looking for - an OctaMED replacement.

Any idea how long it's going to be before Protracker II gets a release?
Old 13 July 2004, 21:08   #7
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
I wouldn't use any shit PC to emulate any old computer sound. I wouldn't use any other type of synth to emulate the computer sound either. The results won't be near as good. But if it fills your bill... Try some squarewave synthesis keyboards from the 80s.

What would be the problem in you sampling the real hardware and then sequencing in the PC?

Anyway fruityloops is not bad at all, at least I used it a lot until I got my Mac. A nice program that also lets you sequence MIDI in case you have any other sorts of external, MIDI-controllable devices. You can use the 3xosc instrument to try and pull some oldcomputerness shit. The TS404 can pull some vintagecomputer-like sounds too.

Modplug tracker is pure shit and it will only let you make mods. It won't let you synth anything so you are at ground zero with the sound making. If you are still in for a tracker use ReNoise or Mad Tracker. Or wait for Protracker II

Never tried Buzz but seems to be a poohman's Reaktor, which is not half bad. Should suffice on the synthesis side.

I don't know what expectations you have with yoru music making but I'd say Fruityloops is a pretty nice tool to start up and milk for quite some time (I still use it from time to time)

OOps forgot to say what I use. Fruityloops sometimes, Reason a bit, and on the Amiga, AHX and MusicLine. CyberTracker for the C64 (you could use GoatTracker on the PC), and LSDJ on the Gameboy.
I already use Fruity Loops 3 its alright but I'm looking for a more Retro sound with the freedom I have in midi at the moment.
Old 13 July 2004, 21:09   #8
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshed57
For non enthusiasts I still like the easy interphase of musicline .

okay soits not an over complex GUI but its two basic pages allows fast creation via your miggy keyboard and the loading of sound sample sets is easy.

Obviously OCTOMED sound studio is the Daddy because it also allows your midi conections to be used , but it tends to over quantise everything , unlike bars & Pipes , or Camouflage.

But if your just talking EMU nexi then Akira has given you the best advice

By the way if you want to upload me your tunes my scarey & perverse deadwood site is now open , try not to look anywhere else and head for the guest tunes forum box

It will be up in 10 minutes
PM me with the info. :-)
Old 14 July 2004, 02:25   #9
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Softy
This soundcard host a genuine SID chip, they say : http://www.hardsid.com/
This synth is built around a SID chip too, but it's out of stock : http://www.sidstation.com/

As for software, Reason v2 hosts a new synth, the Malstrom. It is possible to emulate old synth sounds using it. For an exemple, you can listen to my retro tune, Mistery Island. All the synth sounds were programmed on Reason's Malstrom Synth.
I downloaded the demo of that program. VERY impressive hopefully the full thing will be better. SEEMS alot better than Fruity Loops.
Old 14 July 2004, 04:20   #10
Amiga1992

Reason is good indeed, but be careful with cheesyness caused by using teh default shit. If you touch it all on yoru own it's good

The mälstrom is a grain table synthesis emulator, so it would be good for emulating old synths but NOT computer synths. The subtractor could be used to create more bleepybloppy stuff. I still think Fruityloops' 3xosc synth would be better at this.

Keep in mind reason has no posibility of sequenciong MIDI. You can control Reason from an external source and sync its clock to an external MIDI clock, but you can't control any MIDI device from within Reason. This is something Fruityloops doers and which is a great loss on Reason.
Old 18 July 2004, 19:53   #11
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

I had no problem at all importing a midi into Reason 2.5 , basicly does the same as Fruityloops.

I'm still getting used to how Reason works but I manged to convert an old Jazz track of mines into it and it sounds pretty boss. I don't think i'll be going back to using Fruity Looks anytime soon.

Reason I <3 u :-D
Old 26 August 2004, 17:34   #12
onkelarie

The drawback of Reason is the internal engine which seems to EQ the end signal that´s coming out of Reason (numerous tests can be found on the net on that issue), and the lack of VST support (hopefully supported in future versions?).

I've been using FLstudio for quite a while now and I must say, in combination with the right VSTi´s (Atmosphere, Reaktor, V-station, etc), it´s a killer application with an extremely good rendering engine (sinc 256 depth).

FLstudio is however a mediocre sequencer when one sticks with the supplied samples and synths, keep that in mind And two keywords for FL: The pianoroll and automation

And as for the lack of MIDI sequencing possibilities in Reason.... FL supports (as does of course Cubase SX) Rewire. This makes it possible to plug Reason into FL (or Cubase) as a slave sequencer, thus giving you the best of both worlds: Reason´s killer Maelstrom synth and the Subtractor, and FL´s sequencing possibilities.

Some tracks I made with FLstudio, using only VST's (percussion, pads, choirs, etc):
http://www.spellendoos.nl/hm/demo/Ha...or_dummies.mp3
http://www.spellendoos.nl/hm/Hardmoo...s_of_bread.mp3
http://www.spellendoos.nl/hm/Hardmoon_-_Patlink.mp3
http://www.spellendoos.nl/hm/Hardmoo...or_woofers.mp3

Last edited by onkelarie; 26 August 2004 at 17:44.
Old 26 August 2004, 20:15   #13
wlcina

no one of the pc's can emulate real sound of amiga!