English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 06 February 2019, 18:14   #1
mcgeezer

68020 Bit Field Instructions

Hi All,

I've been looking into the Bit Field 68020 instructions that are available on the A1200 and have been playing with them.

As of yet I haven't really come across many use cases for them over and above what normal AND/OR/NOT/NEG/EOR instructions would do.

It seems they just allow for finer grained control of the normal byte/word/longword sizes but apart from that do they offer anything else?

The BFFFO instruction looks interesting for finding the Most Significant bit set... I could probably use that somewhere but nothing a couple of normal instructions wouldn't solve for me.

Are the BF instructions particularly fast?

Ta,
Geezer
Old 06 February 2019, 18:30   #2
meynaf
son of 68k

BF instructions aren't fast. But they're single instruction doing the job of several. Thus they're often faster than the unwieldy bit manipulation they replace.

Consider BFINS for example. For doing the same work you need to clear the target field, mask out the data to insert, shift it to the relevant position, and then OR it. This is not only longer in size, it will also require temporaries which you do not necessarily have available because out of data regs.
Old 06 February 2019, 19:31   #3
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Hi All,

I've been looking into the Bit Field 68020 instructions that are available on the A1200 and have been playing with them.

As of yet I haven't really come across many use cases for them over and above what normal AND/OR/NOT/NEG/EOR instructions would do.

It seems they just allow for finer grained control of the normal byte/word/longword sizes but apart from that do they offer anything else?

The BFFFO instruction looks interesting for finding the Most Significant bit set... I could probably use that somewhere but nothing a couple of normal instructions wouldn't solve for me.

Are the BF instructions particularly fast?

Ta,
Geezer
Heya Geezer, check the Ocean Loader v2 source for an interesting use case.

I've also used it for quarter pixel scroll bit distribution and in a sine scroll
And sure in various 020+ code i've written. I like those instructions.

Yes, all can be done with the usual, but really useful to gain registers and easy of mind.
Even faster in almost all cases (if used appropriately).
Old 06 February 2019, 19:48   #4
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Heya Geezer, check the Ocean Loader v2 source for an interesting use case.

I've also used it for quarter pixel scroll bit distribution and in a sine scroll
And sure in various 020+ code i've written. I like those instructions.

Yes, all can be done with the usual, but really useful to gain registers and easy of mind.
Even faster in almost all cases (if used appropriately).
Thanks Meynaf and Ross...

When I go through optimisation I'll be sure to look for use cases!

I know there's a few times I've done bit checks like below which could be much improved.... (example)...

Code:
move.w (a0),d0
and.w #$8000,d0
beq.s .go
bra.s .nogo
Old 06 February 2019, 20:05   #5
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Thanks Meynaf and Ross...

When I go through optimisation I'll be sure to look for use cases!

I know there's a few times I've done bit checks like below which could be much improved.... (example)...
For your example, why not using the usual shortcut for the topmost bit :
Code:
 tst.w (a0)
 bpl.s .go
 bra.s .nogo
About bit checks : if you're operating on large bit arrays in memory, you can test/clear/set/reverse a bit in just one instruction...
Old 06 February 2019, 20:26   #6
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:

Code:
move.w (a0),d0
and.w #$8000,d0
beq.s .go
bra.s .nogo
Well, in this case in fact they would not be adequate instructions, consider that there are those for a single bit (BTST, BCHG, BSET, BCLR), that among other things have the very useful property to set the flags with respect to the source (so a single bit BCHG can be used as a toggle and branch, or BSET/BCLR as a fork with respect to a previous 'atomic' condition).

Those for bit fields should be used for bit fields (with variable sub-index and lengths).
Think for example of the following instruction in a loop that change the components:
bfexts (offset.w,a0,d1.l*8){d2:d3},d0
and try to "emulate" with the regular..

Old 06 February 2019, 20:28   #7
Kalms

The bit field instructions become even more interesting when the input parameters vary dynamically. That is, imagine that you need to extract a variable-length bit sequence from a varying bit offset (something you might do when reading variable-length data from a bit stream).
Granted, I tended to use them very rarely and instead find ways to accomplish the same thing with simpler operations and amortizing the costs over multiple steps instead.
Old 07 February 2019, 14:59   #8
grond

BF-instructions are quite handy for some very specific things. Handling planar bitmap graphics, some math functions (mainly BFFFO) and compression and decompression come to my mind. Amiga probably looked at the 020 BFs and thought that they wanted that but found a full 32bit system too expensive. Hence, they invented the blitter...

Unfortunately the BF-instructions are very slow on all 68k processors (except on the AC68080 where most take 1 clock cycle and some 2 clock cycles).

Last edited by grond; 07 February 2019 at 15:38.
Old 27 October 2023, 21:51   #9
oRBIT
Zone Friend

Is there any human understandable documentation about the bitfield instructions? The docs I've found just results in some kind of trial-and-error for me (and resulting mostly in errors).

Simple example:
Is there a way to copy a few bits from one Dx register to another one? Without using and/or? (Not sure if the BF-way, if there is one, is slower or faster than and and/or-solution).. Imagine this:
#%1100,d0
#%0011,d1
I would like to copy bits 2+3 to d1 so d1 will end up as #%1111
Old 27 October 2023, 23:21   #10
Thomas Richter

Depends on what you mean by "copy". The bitfield instructions can only extract a sequence of bits from a register or memory array and place them right-aligned into another register, or insert a right-aligned amount of bits into a bit field in a register or in memory. They cannot copy from one field to another.

For that, you need two instructions: One extracting the field first, and a second to re-insert the bits into the destination.

For extracting bit fields, you have two possibilities: bfextu and bfexts. They differ only in the handling of the most significant bit of the field. bfextu takes the all the source bits, copies them right-aligned into the destination register (i.e. the least significant bit of the field goes to bit 0 of the target) and it sets all other bits in the destination to 0.

bfexts instead replicates the most significant bit of the field into all upper bits of the target register, i.e. it sign-extends the target to 32 bits.

To re-insert bits into a bitfield, you use bfins.

Bit fields are denoted by a start bit and a bit count. Unlike all other instructions, bits here count from left to right, i.e. the MSB is bit 0.