English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 February 2003, 00:22   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Question We talk the talk but do we walk the walk?

Ive just read an interesting thread on another forum. It asks the question 'Are you bored of games?'
A lot of the people there seem to be replying that they spend all their time these days talking about games rather than playing them, bacause they enjoy it more!
Is this a problem with our generation of gamers that hark back to that golden era? How much time do you actually spend playing compared to talking about games?

Is nostalgia our favourite game?
Old 08 February 2003, 01:07   #2
Djay
95th User

hehe... great thread, i've often thought about this i spend much more time talking about Amiga games than actually playing them (here, irc and work)

i'm playing alot of ViceCity at the moment thou, 6 hour game sessions a plenty
Old 08 February 2003, 01:21   #3
backintheday

Hi Guys, new to EAB, anyway I know what you mean, talking about games sometimes can be a little more exciting, maybe not where Vice City is concerned though !!!!!

Old 08 February 2003, 01:34   #4
backintheday

Hey Djay, are you still there, how far have you got on Vice City ?????

Old 08 February 2003, 09:40   #5
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
Few days ago I played again Kick Off 2 for Amiga for a lot of hours. I use to play only games of the old century, due to my 166Mhz, now I'm playing Toca 2. I hate all new stuff, as PS2.
Old 08 February 2003, 20:44   #6
NytroX86

I'm not sure about games in general, but I definately spend more time on EAB talking about the Amiga than I spend playing games on it. I would say though I probably am bored of games, I have a large choice of games to play but at the moment I just can't be bothered. The only game I am playing on my PC recently is a demo of Carmageddon 2 (and I just bought the full version from eBay ). But I on't talk about PC games much either.
I mostly play Amiga games for a quick half-hour fix of fun, like a Euro Cup on Sensible Soccer(92/93) or a blast through some levels of Ruff n Tumble. The only game I really want to play is Final Fantasy 7 but a mate of mine has my Disc 1 and I haven't seen him to get it back .

Old 08 February 2003, 22:18   #7
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

I've experienced this phenomenon with many people in many forums already. You can usually recognize people who only talk about games (i.e. people who are purely nostalgic about them) from the way they're referring to them: in past tense ( "that was a great game" ). I can't say I belong to that group though - playing a game of The Settlers as I'm typing this
Old 08 February 2003, 22:34   #8
Djay
95th User

ermm... i've got my mansion.. have done a couple of tommy's missions... have bought Ice Cream Factory, ShipYard, Poleposition and the all make a profit for me.... got about 70k in the bank... i have played it for that long... i've not stuck to the main missions.. i've done a lot of the extras

ITS a GREAT game
Old 08 February 2003, 22:36   #9
Djay
95th User

i think a good balance between Retro and Modern is best, i play a few Amiga games, a few PS2 games and a few PC games... i play my GBA when i'm offsite
Old 08 February 2003, 22:49   #10
backintheday

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
ermm... i've got my mansion.. have done a couple of tommy's missions... have bought Ice Cream Factory, ShipYard, Poleposition and the all make a profit for me.... got about 70k in the bank... i have played it for that long... i've not stuck to the main missions.. i've done a lot of the extras

ITS a GREAT game
Yeah it is, i haven't progressed that far !!! I am into FIFA 2003 at the moment and trying to get through The Getaway.

I was never into the FIFA series before but they have made some real improvments to the game and it looks fantastic, all the licenses and everything.

I might try to get back into GTA though cause it is worth trying to complete it. I think I got stock on one of the missions though which is why I stopped playing it for a while.

Old 08 February 2003, 23:17   #11
Djay
95th User

some missions i have had to retry a few times... they are a lot harder than GTA3...

i've got Getaway... but i'm NOT hooked at all... nice graphics etc... but i prefer the freedom of VC & GTA3
Old 09 February 2003, 23:35   #12
APFelon
Cable Buyer

I play a lot of games. However, I find that I am spending time with my Amiga (real or emulated) less and less.

When the mood stikes me, though, I fire up a game of Pirates! (all-time fave, Amiga version is the best bar-none) or sometimes Cannon Fodder or Walker.

I think part of the problem for me is having to muck around with the settings in WinUAE for a few minutes in order to get some of my "untried" games to work.

I just think that it sucks to put so much effort into getting a game to run, just to find that it awful.
Old 10 February 2003, 00:13   #13
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
i think a good balance between Retro and Modern is best, i play a few Amiga games, a few PS2 games and a few PC games... i play my GBA when i'm offsite
Snap!

Playing Cadaver on n off
Playing ICO PS2 (renewed my faith in modern games)
Playing Advance wars on PC (Although I have just bought it for GBA.....now I just need my GBA back)
Old 02 October 2020, 08:37   #14
spiff
Oh noes!

I'd say its about the same as vintage cars, vintage gaming sounds much better than retro
  • Low effort / High reward - Easy to fire of a message w/o having to learn new stuff, high reward fun to get a reply
  • We're getting old - our brains are no longer as elastic, what is fun and how much I put into it is limited.
  • Get the shiny unicorn - I know most games and we all know how history turned out, what excites me is finding new stuff from an era that I thought I already knew everything. Get that CD32, in perfect condition with RGB mod, that we never could afford.. and talking about and working on it is more fun than playing it..
Old 02 October 2020, 10:01   #15
dreadnought

Lol, funny to read that nearly 20 years ago people were having these dilemmas.

It's funny, because I'm also often under the impression that a lot of retro-sceners prefer to just talk & collect than actually interact with the software. Each to its own and all that, but I'm on the completely other end of the Spectrum (ha). I still love playing games as much as back in the day and wish I actually had as much time for it as I had before.
Old 02 October 2020, 10:06   #16
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

That's true for me in a way; I don't really play the games myself anymore except for some rare occasions where I fire up WinUAE again on a whim, I just watch hundreds of let's plays. Other people are way better at the games than I am so that way I actually get to see the games finished
Old 02 October 2020, 11:05   #17
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

So I am busy ripping my PS2 game to HD. That is now a classic console. So funny. For me, I don't play much mostly due to having a family, but most of the games I do play need to be quick to start, play for 5 to 30 minutes and then move on. I can do this on modern and classic games.
Old 02 October 2020, 11:09   #18
chip

The golden days of gaming will never return

I played in the past with Amiga / PC / Playstation / XBOX

But last gaming system i owned was Playstation 2

Since that period i never played a game anymore
Old 02 October 2020, 14:52   #19
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

I actively have about 5 games going. Doom II (and Saturn), Duke, and Quake. I used to maintain a Genetics game but even in RTG mode the graphics are mundane, it doesn't really move well to what we've come to expect, you can't save a game when you want - you have to find a token, and it just isn't worth the time.

So those 3 and then I play a lot of Super Stardust and Cabaret Asteroids.

So far, I have not been able to get PD Lethal Run to work - it dies after it gets to the main menu.

I actually use the Amiga for - well this, editing a post in iBrowse or Netsurf (Arti's, 3.10). I have a lot of photos, I collect 16bit graphic art...I have tons of Mods and player/trackers, I listen to mp3s and Internet Radio via AmigaAmp. I watch TV Shows and movies via FFPlay. Why? When I'm on the Amiga, I'm contented. I don't like having to switch back to the Mac for stuff these days. I'm a die-hard I guess.
Old 02 October 2020, 14:58   #20
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I just played star wars squadrons in VR with a HOTAS, sure it has its flaws, but for a half price game, I think its amazing. X-Wing back in the day was one of the main reasons I switched from Amiga to PC. Besides that Ive been playing some FS2020, a few games of Among Us with friends. Also been trying to complete unmodded minecraft in single player for the first time for the last few days. And I keep going back to rocket league when I am lacking salt in my diet. Its a great time for games in my opinion. Games have been keeping me sane during lock down.