English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 July 2007, 13:55   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

EDGE Magazine's Top 100 Games Of All Time

These threads always get some 'conversation' going.

You'll be glad to know there are some Amiga (if not amiga exclusive) games in there including Lemmings, Monkey Island, Sensible Soccer... I won't ruin the rest..

It's in a special collectors edition EDGE at the moment but they've kindly listed them all on next-gen.biz

Anyway here's a link: CLICK ME!

For those who can't be arsed... the top 10 is:
10. Super Metroid
09. Tetris
08. Final Fantasy XII
07. Halo
06. The Legend Of Zelda: A Link to the Past
05. Super Mario World
04. Half-Life 2
03. Super Mario 64
02. Resident Evil 4
01. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Old 04 July 2007, 15:00   #2
Sensi
Unregistered User

98. - Sensible Soccer? Ha ha
79. - Monkey Island 1? Ha ha ha

Where is Simon, where is Indy, where is Elite/Frontier?

I hope we know the TRUTH

Edit: And where is Dungeon Master 1/2? And where are other 92 great Amiga games? :-))
Old 04 July 2007, 15:09   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Only another non objective list. Far too much Nintendo/PC games. No C-64, Genesis, PC-Engine etc. titles.
Old 04 July 2007, 15:19   #4
aldo

Resident Evil 4 should be number 1
Monkey Island 1 and no monkey Island 2

Last edited by aldo; 04 July 2007 at 15:27.
Old 04 July 2007, 15:30   #5
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo
Resident Evil 4 should be number 1
No, it should not

Where is Albion? Where is I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream? And WHERE IS LASER SQUAD?
Old 04 July 2007, 15:42   #6
spiff
Oh noes!

I used to be annoyed with all the lists worshiping Nintendo (and lately PS1) since it pretty much was the only system sold in USA. Especially how Doki doki panic converted to super mario bros 2 scores high and is praised just because of the mario name.

Imagine the following
  • Believing bionic command and contra are best on the Nes.
  • Lemmings being a crap game since the music and controls suck
  • Turrican starts with super turrican
  • Civilization starts with Civ 2
  • Any simulation or RTS starts with command and conquer
  • Lucas arts only game is monkey island 2
  • The first RPG you can play is FF 7, never mind Ultima 7 or underworld.
  • That golden eye was first with deathmatch.

Then I realize how lucky I’ve been. These days I just laugh when I see any list with more then 3 Nes/Snes games in the top 10.

*edit* Doki Doki Panic

Last edited by spiff; 04 July 2007 at 15:58.
Old 04 July 2007, 15:45   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I might put three snes games in my top 10, does that make me a bad person?
Old 04 July 2007, 15:47   #8
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
I might put three snes games in my top 10, does that make me a bad person?
Three is fine, more than three is bad
Old 04 July 2007, 18:51   #9
blade002
Zone Friend

Yeah these lists shit me to tears with the same sentiments of Nintendo & PC worshiping. They should call the magazine "Biased Edge".

And i will say it again "Fuck Mario" !!!!!!
Old 04 July 2007, 18:53   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Or how about "they like those style of games".

As Cody has said 100,000,000 times, these are not everyones views. Simply the views of EDGE magazine's staff.
Old 04 July 2007, 18:53   #11
Graham Humphrey

I think Edge is the most boring and pretentious games mag I've ever seen. Perfect for insomniacs.
Old 04 July 2007, 18:55   #12
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
I think Edge is the most boring and pretentious games mag I've ever seen. Perfect for insomniacs.
Couldnt have said it better
Old 04 July 2007, 22:24   #13
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Great top 10 but only because most of what are my fave games ever are there.Zelda OOC deserves to be 1st frankly.Zelda Past yep ,Super Mario64 for sure it's brilliant, Super Marioworld of course,Halo i should hope so.

Suprised not to see Goldeneye a little higher.

Edge is a very cool and intelligently written games mag that rarely gets it wrong regarding their scores.

As for the overall top 100 , well it's just too hard to agree on what it should be what with there being so many games equally deserving.
Old 04 July 2007, 22:38   #14
Galaxy

I have 2 early issues of Edge - the magazine had almost zero Amiga coverage (was pretty much console focussed) despite the fact that they claimed to cover the platform. So it's surprising that any Amiga games made their list.
Old 04 July 2007, 22:48   #15
Peter
Still an Amiga user

No mention of Kung Foo Charlies or Les Dennis Hangman... or POKER MANIA!!
I think Poker Mania just nudges out Resident Evil for edge of your seat atmosphere... I mean it - I love Poker Mania.

It is a bit disappointing not to see a few more Amiga games here and there in a hundred... I didn't see Flashback there or Cannon Fodder - how can you have an all time greats without either of those... and what about the Amiga Pinball Games?

Chaos Engine...???
Old 04 July 2007, 23:42   #16
Adropac2
Zone Friend

As much as i love the Amiga (probably my fave machine) , games like Flashback and Cannon Fodder don't deserve to be in a top 100 list.Certainly some of the games on the list shouldn't be on there either but it's a difficult task.Flashback a game that was flawless in it's design was something i really enjoyed and it left a lasting impact on me - certainly not in a top 100 games of all time though.Same too for Chaos Engine - also one of the few games i finished on Amiga and it was a wonderful experience for me ,boasting good if simple gameplay but most definitely no top 100.Cannon Fodder isn't great anyway if you ask me but it is a charming enough game that plays well enough.Pinball for the Amiga were better than what PC's or consoles were able to pump out at the time but just pinball games.It wouldn't suprise me if people thought Turrican2 deserved a place as well but it's just a very average platform shooter with great atmosphere and incredible music - still love playing it though.

Speedball2 deserves to be there quite honestly

Monkey Island yep

Sensi i can understand even though i like Kick Off2 more

Consoles like Snes and Megadrive always did things better - we never did get a platformer as good as Mario or Sonic(Super Frog was fun but a millions miles away from as good).Shooters were always better on consoles and we just didn't get any great RPG's like Zelda past and Mana.No suprise consoles dominated this chart.

Still the Amiga was a lovely machine and has some wonderful games and i loved the era more than any.

Why no Radiant Silvergun?Wrong

I would say that generally speaking , most game designers for the Amiga at this time were rather amateur compared to console devs - we never had the support from these superior designers and it showed.That was then however and i would actually say that Japanese art appears to have gotten a little stale.Japanese art is always great and all but everything is so bloody over the top and cheesy that i'm much happier these days staying clear of certain Japanese games.Great stuff will always come from japan i just wish they could tone it down a little bit like what they do with Zelda.

Shadow of the Colossus deserved to be there - brilliant and dreamlike but also unlike anything else.One of PS2's best titles and even worth buying this crap system for - there are otheres too of course.

Blah blah

Last edited by Adropac2; 04 July 2007 at 23:48.
Old 04 July 2007, 23:46   #17
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2
Pinball for the Amiga were better than what PC's or consoles were able to pump out at the time but just pinball games.
Monkey Island? Just an adventure game. Kick Off? Just a football game. I can never understand that argument.
Old 04 July 2007, 23:50   #18
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
Monkey Island? Just an adventure game. Kick Off? Just a football game. I can never understand that argument.
I would say that anything redefining as well as being flawless just about is what it's all about to make a list like this and that's the aproach they seemed to have taken.
Old 04 July 2007, 23:54   #19
Adropac2
Zone Friend

There isn't a ton of depth in a pinball game and as an experience i don't rate it as anything astonishing merely good fun.Monkey Island was and still is an amazing experience.
Old 05 July 2007, 00:01   #20
Graham Humphrey

I can see where you're coming from with that, and I agree with Monkey Island, but certainly I don't think it's exaggerating a great deal to say the tables in Slam Tilt (say) could easily be real-life tables they're so well designed and brilliant to play. Anyway that's just my opinion, at the end of the day there's no way anyone will completely agree with these lists, they're just opinions and we all have our own ideas as to what should make it in there.