English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 August 2010, 20:44   #41
rhester72

BTW, not to pick nits about such amazing work (and it's unbelievable how much realism WinUAE employs these days!), but given the naturally stereo output of the Amiga (and thus WinUAE), perhaps a 1084S badge would have been more appropriate on the bezel?

Rodney
Old 06 August 2010, 21:15   #42
Ambermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Aspect ratio correction really only works in windowed mode. In non-matching aspect ratio fullscreen mode it can't be really fixed without modifying the image (either pre-made image or modified after loading). In rendering phase image width and height scaling values must be identical or masks will break.
OK. So I will stick to providing bezels for the most common aspect ratios. Otherwise many people will surely try what I tried and send in error reports.

Quote:
This is known problem, no idea whats wrong..
Mh, cross checking this with filtered output without bezel and completely unprocessed output in ddraw with the 'classic' centering mode on the display tab, which both work far better, I would guess there might be something wrong with the automatic transparency calculation algorithm. At least that would be the easiest explanation.

For reference I measured the 16:10 bezel screen manually in Photoshop, with the following results: Left: 308, Top:142, Width:1302, Height:916. And: The center of the bezel screen is more or less exactly at the center of the image (960/600). Do you get the same or similar results?

If you can't find the source of this problem, I would suggest to allow manual correction of the image position. Right now Hor./Vert. position controls aren't accessible when automatic scaling/resizing is active.

Might be a good idea anyway, since some programs aren't even centered on the original the Amiga screen (try North & South for example). Something that's not fixable by WinUAE.

At least unless you want to introduce some background color detection and automatic clipping stuff... (Sorry, I'm getting carried away).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhester72
BTW, not to pick nits about such amazing work (and it's unbelievable how much realism WinUAE employs these days!), but given the naturally stereo output of the Amiga (and thus WinUAE), perhaps a 1084S badge would have been more appropriate on the bezel?
Thanks for reminding me. That was a brutal mistake on my side, which I discovered just a little to late (read: I was too lazy to fix it so far). Although in the meantime I thought about naming it 1084X, since it's not 100% original (see first post) anyway.

There are other minor issues (wrong font for example), which I will most likely fix for the final version.

Last edited by Ambermoon; 06 August 2010 at 21:31.
Old 06 August 2010, 21:28   #43
Ambermoon

@Toni

One thing I forgot: The bezel screen is NOT 4:3. It has a rather uncommon AR by design. This might or might not be relevant for your scaling calculations, I just wanted to let you know.

Most likely I will change this for the final version.

I still like the idea, since it allows to play both 4:3 and 16:10 (320px:200px) games fullscreen without too much distortion and will definitely use this myself, but for a public version this might not have been the greatest of all ideas anyway.
Old 06 August 2010, 21:54   #44
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Looks quite nice on a 16:9 Plasma. Any chances that you remove the shades?
Old 06 August 2010, 21:58   #45
Ambermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Looks quite nice on a 16:9 Plasma. Any chances that you remove the shades?
Maybe the final version will include a bezel without shadows/reflection.

Although I would suggest trying to get used to it. I promise, you don't want live without that look afterwards.

Last edited by Ambermoon; 06 August 2010 at 22:04.
Old 06 August 2010, 22:00   #46
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Great.
Old 08 August 2010, 04:16   #47
onkelarie

It's looking good on my HD screen. Maybe it's nice to also have a less pristine looking bezel, to emphasize the monitor's age. But that's nitpicking I'm sure
Old 08 August 2010, 14:25   #48
glue
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to glue Send a message via AIM to glue Send a message via Yahoo to glue
Awesome

Thanx for good job. Any chance to BEZEL 1900x1200 without reflexes ?
Old 08 August 2010, 18:51   #49
UncleSpam

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelarie View Post
It's looking good on my HD screen. Maybe it's nice to also have a less pristine looking bezel, to emphasize the monitor's age. But that's nitpicking I'm sure
Maybe a bit of yellowing... that would make it look "retro"!

J/K

- Bogdan
Old 08 August 2010, 19:06   #50
onkelarie

I added some colouring to the monitor in Photoshop, and it does heighten the nostalgia feeling. Maybe I'll add a stack of disks next to the monitor, some cans of soda, etc, etc
Old 08 August 2010, 19:23   #51
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip updated. Aspect ratio correction should work now correctly in all situations. Image is still shifted few pixels (some correction multiplier required somewhere, I am not really interested with this)
Old 08 August 2010, 21:30   #52
Ambermoon

Quote:
http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip updated. Aspect ratio correction should work now correctly in all situations. Image is still shifted few pixels (some correction multiplier required somewhere, I am not really interested with this)
Correctly working resizing/centering would have been more important to me, but one can't have it all, I guess. AR correction though seems to work perfectly. And who would blame you for wanting to do things you are more interested in?

Thanks for what you have done already.

Last edited by Ambermoon; 08 August 2010 at 21:50.
Old 08 August 2010, 21:38   #53
Ambermoon

Final bezel - preview

Here is a quick preview of how the final version will look like.

This will be more or less it, I won't make any big changes to this. Just the finishing touches are missing (some textures, not all models are final, stuff like that). Might take a few days, though.

Feel free to comment, but chances that I take any special wishes into consideration are pretty slim.

Old 08 August 2010, 21:54   #54
prowler
Global Moderator

That looks wonderful, Ambermoon!
Old 08 August 2010, 22:25   #55
onkelarie

@ambermoon

Perhaps a long shot to take in consideration, but here goes nothing

What might be nice, is some sort of wallpaper / wall instead of the gradient around the monitor, to give it more a room look and feel.

Nice touch how you positioned those floppies. I photoshopped some next to the monitor, but this looks much better, thumbs up!
Old 08 August 2010, 22:45   #56
UncleSpam

The last monitor bezel looks wonderful. However, I would caution against doing to much, because it uses precious real estate.

Some folks may want to run 2x expansion in the horizontal and vertical directions at resolutions of up to 800x600. That would translate to 1600x1200 plus the additional overhead of the bezel. At that point 1920x1200 may not be enough and they would have to run even higher resolutions to accommodate all the detail.

Wide screen displays obviously have some advantages in this case.

In my case, I would prefer the unused area outside the bezel to be black or even transparent.

- Bogdan
Old 09 August 2010, 09:11   #57
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambermoon View Post
Correctly working resizing/centering would have been more important to me
It isn't that important for me because autoscale enabled and bezel emulation does not really match real-world display.. (display is never exactly centered on real Amiga displays unless user keeps readjusting size and position..)
Old 09 August 2010, 11:08   #58
Ambermoon

Quote:
It isn't that important for me because autoscale enabled and bezel emulation does not really match real-world display.. (display is never exactly centered on real Amiga displays unless user keeps readjusting size and position..)
I know. It's just something that would make things better usability wise, if it worked perfectly. It's definitely not that interesting from a programmer's point of view, I can clearly see that. But for me enhancing the user experience would generally be more important than emulating for example even the most uncommon and/or obscure hardware.

But as I said, noone (at least not me) is blaming you, if you're more interested in doing other things.

You're work on this project is already invaluable. I'm not sure if I had the dedication to put so much time into a project I'm not getting paid for.

Last edited by Ambermoon; 09 August 2010 at 11:50.
Old 10 August 2010, 15:30   #59
Ambermoon

One last preview. I'm getting really close now.

Final images (with/without background, day/night lighting) will be available this weekend.

Old 10 August 2010, 16:03   #60
Bronko
Remember: Shoot or die!

Send a message via ICQ to Bronko
Looks great, but.... wouldn't a photo of the real thing look more...... real?