English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 30 September 2020, 11:53   #1
KKR75

Games not loading on Amiga 1000

I have an Amiga 1000 PAL, standard config with 512K chip, and external floppy drive (yes I have tried to unplug the drive to boot some games and while that did work on a game or two, the others still didn't).

I am trying to load Stunt Car Racer, and TV Sports Basketball, both from original floppies.

- Stunt Car Racer starts the boot process, but the floppy stops reading right before it gets to the credits screen. The same floppy works 100% on my Amiga 500 stantard config. And the Kryofluxed version of that floppy works also perfect in winuae with the standard A1000 512k PAL config.

- TV Sports Basketball gets past the Workbench bootscreen, but stops right at the Copylock protection, when the drive moves quickly from one track to another. Same floppy works perfect on the A500 as well

Is this in any way floppy drive related on the A1000 ? I already cleaned the drive, and tested it in AmigaTestKit and all looks okay. Actually all other floppies (IPF or ADF, originals) load okay. It's just these two.

How to troubleshoot this ?
Old 30 September 2020, 12:16   #2
solarmon

Check the alignment of the internal drive on the A100. You can use Amiga Test Kit to perform an alignment test on the floppy disk that is not working. And compare that with the same alignment test of the floppy disk in the A500.
Old 30 September 2020, 22:02   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

If it's just these two, maybe you can try cracked versions that will be less sensitive
Old 30 September 2020, 23:41   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKR75 View Post
I have an Amiga 1000 PAL, standard config with 512K chip, and external floppy drive (yes I have tried to unplug the drive to boot some games and while that did work on a game or two, the others still didn't).

I am trying to load Stunt Car Racer, and TV Sports Basketball, both from original floppies.

- Stunt Car Racer starts the boot process, but the floppy stops reading right before it gets to the credits screen. The same floppy works 100% on my Amiga 500 stantard config. And the Kryofluxed version of that floppy works also perfect in winuae with the standard A1000 512k PAL config.

- TV Sports Basketball gets past the Workbench bootscreen, but stops right at the Copylock protection, when the drive moves quickly from one track to another. Same floppy works perfect on the A500 as well

Is this in any way floppy drive related on the A1000 ? I already cleaned the drive, and tested it in AmigaTestKit and all looks okay. Actually all other floppies (IPF or ADF, originals) load okay. It's just these two.

How to troubleshoot this ?
Stunt Car Racer has 2x Copylock checks. First one is before the Titlescreen appears with the engine, and the second one just before the game starts. If any of the Copylock checks fail, then it won't properly decrypt the data it has just loaded.

Either swapping out the drive or as JOTD suggests, simply use a cracked copy that has removed the Copylock check which will avoid this issue.
Old 01 October 2020, 05:28   #5
KKR75

Thank you Galahad and jotd.