English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 15 April 2009, 07:04   #1
Saxon1974

SSI gold box games a bit slow?

Im not sure if Im posting this in the right place.

So I installed WHDLoad version of Gateway to the savage frontier. It appears to be working but the gameplay itself seems a bit slow compared to the DOS version.

The step movement seems a tad slow when turning and walking. Is this normal? Is there some setting in WINUAE where I could speed this up? Im using Gamebase amiga with WINUAE to emulate.

Old 15 April 2009, 08:13   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Saxon1974 and welcome to EAB
You could try to set the CPU to 'Fastest possible, but maintain chipset timing'. I'm not sure if that will increase the speed, but it probably does. Will test it later when I'm home.
Btw : There is both a prb.Games and prb.WinUAE subforum for your next posts
Old 15 April 2009, 08:37   #3
Saxon1974

I tried changing the setting in WINUAE to the Amiga 1200 speed which changed the setting to use fastest setting and it didnt seem to have an effect.

What Im curious about though is what configuration file does WINUAE use when running Amiga Gamebase so I know Im changing the right one?

Should I post this in the WINUAE or Games problem thread? Can I move it there?

thanks!

Old 15 April 2009, 13:13   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Your thread is already moved
You have to edit the 'WHDLoad.uae' config in your Gamebase Amiga folder, but like you said changing the config might not help. Just tested the floppy version with the setting and have to say it runs pretty smooth.
Old 15 April 2009, 20:50   #5
Saxon1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Your thread is already moved
You have to edit the 'WHDLoad.uae' config in your Gamebase Amiga folder, but like you said changing the config might not help. Just tested the floppy version with the setting and have to say it runs pretty smooth.
Do I need to edit an actual config file named WHDLoad.uae in the GameBase amiga folders? I dont think I saw anywhere in the Gamebase Amiga GUI to modify a configuration. Hard for me to tell now though because Im not on my home PC.

I will give this a try when I get home. Thanks!

Old 15 April 2009, 20:59   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon1974 View Post
Do I need to edit an actual config file named WHDLoad.uae in the GameBase amiga folders?
Yes, you can open it with WinUAE, make the changes and save it back. Hope that helps
Old 16 April 2009, 03:47   #7
Saxon1974

Hmm, that didn't seem to make any difference. It's playable but the movement step speed is quite a bit slower in response time than in the DOS version. Assuming I updated the file correctly. It's a little hard to explain, but if you play the DOS version you will see the response time for movement is much faster. It's a bit annoying in the Amiga version.

I created a new config file in WINUAE and used the load as and browsed to the Game Base AMiga WHDLoad.uae as the path. I went and upped the speed to max and did a save as to save it back to original folder.

Old 16 April 2009, 04:58   #8
Saxon1974

Update to this thread. It runs much faster off of floppy's under WINUAE with speed maxed out than it does using the WHDLoad program. I will just play with the floppys.

Old 16 April 2009, 07:13   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

That's interesting. Well, good to hear that it now runs smooth