English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 November 2001, 16:13   #1
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Problem setting up 4000.

It's been so long sine I last setup an Amiga from scratch. I got my 4000 yesteday and all work well with the old hard drivers, but when I try to boot of the Install disks ro Workbench disks it doesn appear to recognize them as bootable because it simply does not boot with the disk. It goes straight to the hard drive. Even with no hard drives attached it does not boot off the floppy.
With the system put back together I'm in Workbench and the floppies come up as DF0:???? icons on the desktop. Don't recall exactly what this meant, but I think it's either unrecognized or unformatted.
Can anyone point me to an installation guide cause I'm trying to do this from memory and I'm missing something somewhere. Thanks!
Old 15 November 2001, 16:16   #2
Amigaboy

The answer is simple. Your install disks are screwed

Since the disks wont boot, and they come up on Workbench on DF0:????, it is the only explanation

Old 15 November 2001, 16:26   #3
Amigaboy

Wait

I just realised, it could be your internal drive. It may be wrecked

One of my A1200s does the same thing. Try inserting another disk into it (preferably one that you know works). If it boots, it's not your drive

Old 15 November 2001, 20:53   #4
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Since this is a Toaster system I plan on keep. I just ordered a Catweasel so that I have better compatability and speed with newer hard drives, CDs and standard PC floppies instead of just ordering replacement Amiga HD drives.
If it's my floppies that are trashed then I'm in bad shape, since I do not know of any AmigaOS software that boots from CD like MacOS, OS X, and Windows for installation. Then it would be a simple thing.
Old 16 November 2001, 18:18   #5
Amiga1992

AmigaOS can boot from anywhere... You could build an autobootable CD in your PC I suppose!

Anyway there IS a possibility to boot your meega from CD, methinks...

Try this first, get the disks from the net, transfer them to the meega and ... hold on, you have no system.. hmm

If all fails I can hook you up with the disks you need through the good ole post. Lemme know
Old 16 November 2001, 18:38   #6
Amigaboy

His system has a HD, since it boots to Workbench

So. I also suggest you download the disks from the net and transfer them. Then you'll be sure you have working versions

Old 16 November 2001, 22:06   #7
Unregistered

Catweasel/Buddha

Just got my Catweasel and I have to say that it's actually worked the first time around with all the disks that were failing me before using a Mitsumi drive I had laying around.
The original problem was that I could not read the Workbench installation floppies. Kinda strange when I could format a drive and read a PC drive with CrossDOS. The difference is that these floppies are formatted as double density versus the ones that worked which were formatted as high-density.
Now if anyone has an info on the Buddha IDE, like can it be setup to boot from the Buddha or simply as storage?