English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 02 September 2011, 21:36   #1
entireweb

Copying ADF files form PC to A600. Help!

I have just put together a A600, with 4gb CF ide drive, an aca 630/25 accelerator and a604 trapdoor memory expansion.

First off thanks to amigakit for there amazing service and quick delivery to germany.

Second thanks to indivision for these amazing bits of kit.

I managed to format the drive, but only to 2gb not 4gb using hdtoolbox. I can live with the 2GB for the moment. I installed workbench 3.1 from my amiga forever collection. The a600 boots and I can see the drive. I also managed to install whdload.

I bought a pcmcia compact flash adapter which came with the software adf-transfer-kit. I installed the adf transfer software from floppy and now I can see the 4gb drive in workbench. When I take out the CF I can see it in my PC via a usb to CF adapter. So I thought.........easy.......I will just copy some adf images to the CF from my PC. This worked OK. When I take the card and plug it into the amiga it sees the drive, but as empty.

Help. What am I doing wrong?

Old 02 September 2011, 21:58   #2
thomas

Select Window -> Show -> All files (Fenster -> Inhalt anzeigen -> Alle Dateien) from the menu.
Old 02 September 2011, 23:47   #3
entireweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Select Window -> Show -> All files (Fenster -> Inhalt anzeigen -> Alle Dateien) from the menu.
Show all Files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS... What a furious "epic fail" I made. I can see the files now on the amiga. So that is stage 1.

Stage 2. I was hoping that double clicking an adf would load that using whdload. But it doesnt. I just get a screen about entering parameters for the executable.

Any way thanks. Time to read up on whdload now.

Old 02 September 2011, 23:57   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Once you got the basic idea about WHDLoad, just download the pre-installed versions from http://www.whdownload.com/ instead of installing them yourself. If you want them in big packs, just grab them from KG's site : http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd/
Old 03 September 2011, 00:08   #5
amigakit.com

@entireweb

Many thanks for your order: it is appreciated.
Old 03 September 2011, 16:16   #6
entireweb

Thanks, got it all working now after copying whdload to C and also copying the kickstarts roms to dev:kickstarts.

Very happy now. The system is extremely snappy with the aca 630/25. Workbench boots in seconds and games loads in an instant.

Also I would say one point, and that is how much better the system seems to me than in comparison to emulation.
I feel the music, for instance in Lemmings, is cleaner and crisper on the a600 than under winuae. I notice that the particle effect explosions, are superb on the real hardware.

@TheCyberDruid

http://www.whdownload.com/

Saved my day...

Old 03 September 2011, 21:36   #7
Photon

I'd like to jump in and say that as retro communities go, the Amiga one is particularly awesome

Of course I'm part of only a few other retro communities, but you know, I doubt many others have a) webshops selling many new parts, b) hardware developers making many new expansions, c) such ambitious open-source projects as WHDload, converters, etc.

Maybe I'm mistaken but either way I'd like to say that as platforms go, the shape of the Amiga is doing well and holds hope for the future

Posted on a saturday night... but I still think it's true. Great stuff.