English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 April 2024, 19:50   #61
AestheticDebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I can't find any news about that... This would be massive.

OK : this is an unofficial hack, obviously.
The original Mario and Donkey Kong games were licensed to multiple systems, primarily because they predated the launch of the NES. It was really only since Super Mario Bros that they've kept him mostly exclusive (although I have a feeling there was one of those constant run games on mobiles not that long back at least).
Old 11 April 2024, 20:08   #62
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ever since the original movie, as far as I've read.
Old 11 April 2024, 22:39   #63
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I endeavor to always say true things.

Here is the PC Mario game, also released for NES and SNES. A writer for a games magazine witnessed it.

So, this actually happened, obviously. Because I don't - make - untrue - claims.

I hasten to add that Mario was already non-exclusive, and didn't originate on Nintendo consoles, since the character was on arcade first.
Super Mario Wonder isn't on the PS5.
An obscure educational game from the 90's on MS Dos isn't exactly the same of releasing your flagship game licence on your eternal rival console.
Had Nintendo released Super Mario Wonders on the PS5 it would have been even in regular press.
Old 12 April 2024, 00:11   #64
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
There even was a non-educational Mario title on PC in the 90s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario%27s_Game_Gallery
There were also these. [ Show youtube player ]

Not posted by me as claim because "OK SM64 guy did the voice for that too, but Nintendo didn't find them to sue them like they did even non-Mario games on 16-bit computers" or similar Mandela Effect conspiracy theories.

I.e. my linked game is irrefutable. Again, though, most of Nintendo's characters came from arcade, Game & Watch, etc so that the "originated on" point is already met and swatted.

The main point here that whatever qualifications we put on Amiga characters, we should put also on (perhaps previously beliebed) console characters.

We may end up with zero, if we're strict enough, or we may up with many Amiga characters that match the criteria of previously beliebed console characters. Both results require an attitude adjustment.
Old 12 April 2024, 02:09   #65
hitchhikr

All mario games: https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_games
Old 12 April 2024, 05:23   #66
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Not to forget Hotel Mario on the CD-i...

No love for Titus the Fox folks ?
Old 12 April 2024, 11:44   #67
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Not to forget Hotel Mario on the CD-i...

The game Titus the Fox had a different character in France. As for the Titus logo, I doesn't link it to the Amiga but rather to the Amstrad CPC.
Old 12 April 2024, 17:33   #68
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Why is that, does it look like a crocodile / alligator to you ? Apparently, the first batch of Titus "hits" was published on the Amiga before being ported to the CPC so I wonder how you might argue that the two are linked (official logo and CPC). And yup, I was referring to the game character.

I've read a good deal about how Moktar originated on the Gameboy and stuff, but I also have in mind Lagaf' / Mokar wasn't exactly depicted as a likeable character (more like poil à gratter to the Maghrebi community in France due to the borderline racist stereotypes scattered in the game and pertaining to the way it was advertised), therefore I see Titus the Fox (it, the leaping fox from the love it or hate it platform game) as an acceptable character that fits the bill, at least in this place and time.
Old 12 April 2024, 22:57   #69
Megalomaniac

The Mario educational games are hardly proof of Mario not being an iconic Nintendo character. They may have made arcade games before they made their own consoles, and they may have made Game & Watch games featuring the characters, but you attach Mario (and Luigi / Princess / Yoshi / Bowser etc) to Nintendo consoles. Donkey Kong is a bit more borderline as the NES came out so long after the original games. Console manufacturers who have in-house developers can have much more exclusivity on characters than computer manufacturers, so I don't think there's a like-for-like comparison.

The Middle Eastern setting of Titus the Fox (the game) is the only real clue that Titus the Fox (the character) wasn't intended as a hero character all along. He's such a natural brand figure. Not being French I can't know the entire context behind Lagaf / Moktar, but it feels very uncomfortable, and it's surprising that he was considered an acceptable main character for a game so relatively recently.
Old 13 April 2024, 08:23   #70
sokolovic

Quote:
Why is that, does it look like a crocodile / alligator to you ? Apparently, the first batch of Titus "hits" was published on the Amiga before being ported to the CPC so I wonder how you might argue that the two are linked (official logo and CPC). And yup, I was referring to the game character.

I've read a good deal about how Moktar originated on the Gameboy and stuff, but I also have in mind Lagaf' / Mokar wasn't exactly depicted as a likeable character (more like poil à gratter to the Maghrebi community in France due to the borderline racist stereotypes scattered in the game and pertaining to the way it was advertised), therefore I see Titus the Fox (it, the leaping fox from the love it or hate it platform game) as an acceptable character that fits the bill, at least in this place and time.
Oh I was just saying that for me, Titus was more a CPC developper/publisher in my mind. I may be wrong of course but I don't associate it with the Amiga first.
Maybe it is because they were one of the few to support the GX4000.
As for the game characters, well I didn't knew it at that time since as you said, it was Lagaf/Mokhtar in France, not a very likeable local celebrity IMO.
Old 14 April 2024, 00:02   #71
A500

I'm listing Amiga games that had memorable characters for me. No regard to order of importance or what other platforms the games were published on.

Ice cream man - Speedball
Wizkid
All the Lemmings and Settlers
The announcer in Ballistix - "Let the game commence"
All the pieces in Battle Chess
PP Hammer
The mysterious Blade Warrior
The wizards in Celtic Legends
The mummy in Dungeon Master - we jumped off our chairs when one appeared and said 'boo' to us when we turned 180 degrees in a dead end
The hero in Flashback
The Zamboni in Wayne Gretzky Hockey, complemented by the players' skates actually leaving marks on the ice during play
Colin Curly in Pushover & One Step Beyond
Turrican
The giant fish appearing in Virus
Old 14 April 2024, 06:45   #72
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by A500 View Post
Ice cream man - Speedball
It would have been great if they made a spin-off game about him and showed a bit more of the world that the Speedball games take place in.
Old 14 April 2024, 11:05   #73
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
It would have been great if they made a spin-off game about him and showed a bit more of the world that the Speedball games take place in.
It's a nice thought that, in the dark dystopian future hinted at by the Speedball II intro, there's still room for ice cream. Still, I'd be thinking a mission-based shooter and R&D battle between rival gangs, perhaps similar to Syndicate (although that came much later). We had the Glasgow Ice Cream Wars, after all...
Old 14 April 2024, 11:59   #74
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
We had the Glasgow Ice Cream Wars, after all...
Now there's a bit of history that I hadn't heard about. Thanks for the heads up
Old 15 April 2024, 18:19   #75
Nobby_UK

+1 for Lemmings
Old 16 April 2024, 19:03   #76
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Oh. Quite the opposite.