English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 31 October 2019, 00:00   #1
mcgeezer

Your favourite demo of all time on any system.

I’d seen this demo a couple of years ago but could not remember who did it.

Quite simply, this beats every other demo i’ve ever seen... it just melts my mind how they did this (even on a pc).

[ Show youtube player ]

Can anyone top it?

Geezer
Old 31 October 2019, 00:16   #2
Foebane
Banned

Yes, I've seen that foo2 island demo, it really is rather cute with the physics engine and the characters, and the soundtrack ain't half bad, neither.

I have a few "favourite demos of all time", but on many systems - can I mention those, individually?
Old 31 October 2019, 00:45   #3
-Acid-

I wouldn't call this my favourites, but the fact that this is just 177k is amazing

[ Show youtube player ]

This was one of the first 64k intro I saw on the PC back in 2000..... blown away at the time

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by -Acid-; 31 October 2019 at 00:52.
Old 31 October 2019, 00:52   #4
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

I did see that recently on a drunken night of demo watching (I'm so behind with the scene...). And I did like it a lot. But best is so subjective. I have played around in PC 3d engines and Unity and whatnot and it's at the point where if you can imagine it you can probably do it with a bit of effort which takes the magic away a little.

For amiga/old skool demos it's like if you can imagine it, it probably can't be done and you have to find a coding genius to even pretend it can be done with xx amounts of trickery. And then if someone comes up with that trickery other people will still call you out on it because it's not realtime. Of course it isn't... I'm bad at maths but I can half program something, but not "imagine" something or make something stylish which always frustrates me. So when I see something in a style I wouldn't never have thought about, well I pause and give it a like.

I can barely do the easy stuff, but on the amiga I think the likes of Rink A Dink Redux, The Fall, the checker board compo from gerp, the rubbertro comp, just blew my mind completely. Eon did it for me from an artistic point of view as well. I would have lost my shit in 1990 seeing those. And now I'm in WinUAE debugger typing "o1" and still not seeing how it was done I used to have Enigma/Digital Innovation/Substance as my favourites but I've changed my mind recently.

PC wise there is so much power that technically difficulty becomes pointless for me. So it's all "the feels" there. I'll thumb up anything on pouet that makes me go "ooo". I really really liked the "bugs" intro you posted recently even though that's not pushing 3d to the edge.
Old 31 October 2019, 03:28   #5
badflame

Being really nostalgic...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 October 2019, 04:51   #6
arcanist

Though I do love megademos, I'm all about the 4K.

Elevated blew my mind when I first saw it. There's a neat presentation online about how it was made, too.

[ Show youtube player ]

Favorite Amiga intro is Ikadalawampu:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 October 2019, 05:08   #7
chip

From bootblock intros to big demos i love EVERYTHING on Amiga
Old 31 October 2019, 09:48   #8
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
Elevated blew my mind when I first saw it. There's a neat presentation online about how it was made, too.
[ Show youtube player ]
Hear, Hear! An all-time favourite of mine as well.
Old 31 October 2019, 09:55   #9
Amigajay

Has to be Technological Death, the closest thing to a ‘perfect’ demo, fast paced, good music, good effects and most importantly not too bloody long!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 October 2019, 09:55   #10
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Quite simply, this beats every other demo i’ve ever seen... it just melts my mind how they did this (even on a pc).

[ Show youtube player ]
Don't think I've seen that one before. It's almost like there's an element of intelligence/instinct in there as well. Did you check out Archee's Tricky Truck game?
Old 01 November 2019, 02:10   #11
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Quartex & Alliance Design : Substance

[ Show youtube player ]

With the best Amiga track ever : Knulla Kuk by Moby

Old 01 November 2019, 09:30   #12
Unkown
The Old Fart!

First of all no disrespect to anybody!. OK!!

I literally detest questions like this as they end up in disappointment for the original poster, What exacxtly do you want from us in a reply, " of all time " dont understand the purpose of such a set of words kinda sound empty and meaning less to me anyway.

First time is not over and i will not be around when it is, But that is that for my understanding of these empty meaning less words.

Now to attempt to reply to your question.

I dont have any favourite what so ever for example i don't have a favourite food, drink or clothing items.

I cant afford to have "favourite!" i dont have a "favourite!" daughter or grand daughter or grandson. i feel its unfair to have favourite of any form but that the though in my fucked up head as it is todate.

Why have favourite what are you going to gain by having favourite's?.

But as for demos on any platform i have n-joyed every single demo i have watched and i have watched a fair few. But No favourite's!.
Old 01 November 2019, 10:11   #13
Zak
Zap´em

In the 80's I had a Philips MSX and my dad brought me an original Philips demo written in Basic. I learned so much from it. But the disk didn't survive very long and I had no copy and it was lost. I don't even know the name of the demo as it was just called demo. Even Philips themselves couldn't help me getting the copy back. It's just lost forever. I never saw it again anywhere.

It basically showed what you can do with the MSX like drawing graphics, word processing and so on. That was my favourite.
Old 01 November 2019, 11:21   #14
no9

Impossible to pick one without additional conditions, but since we are in 'Nostalgia' forum, then for me it must be nothing else than: TRAP demo

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 November 2019, 11:42   #15
Hewitson

No PC demos are impressive in my opinion. You can do anything with unlimited horsepower.

Favourite C64 demo: Mathematica/Reflex

Favourite Amiga demo: Satisfaction Guaranteed/Pearl
Old 01 November 2019, 13:18   #16
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
First of all no disrespect to anybody!. OK!!

I literally detest questions like this as they end up in disappointment for the original poster, What exacxtly do you want from us in a reply, " of all time " dont understand the purpose of such a set of words kinda sound empty and meaning less to me anyway.

First time is not over and i will not be around when it is, But that is that for my understanding of these empty meaning less words.

Now to attempt to reply to your question.

I dont have any favourite what so ever for example i don't have a favourite food, drink or clothing items.

I cant afford to have "favourite!" i dont have a "favourite!" daughter or grand daughter or grandson. i feel its unfair to have favourite of any form but that the though in my fucked up head as it is todate.

Why have favourite what are you going to gain by having favourite's?.

But as for demos on any platform i have n-joyed every single demo i have watched and i have watched a fair few. But No favourite's!.
Very simple and it’s not difficult, what i’m after are references from others what they think is a good demo so that i can watch them. Yes, i could go to pouet, but i’d like to ask members of the eab.

Btw - a note for the future, if you’ve got nothing nice to say in my threads then don’t reply.
Old 01 November 2019, 13:29   #17
britelite

Some favourites per platform:

C64: Extremes by Byterapers
Amiga (OCS): Extensions by Pygmy Projects
Amiga (AGA): Ocean Machine by TBL
Atari ST: Flip-O by Oxygene
PC (DOS): Crystal Dream by Triton
Spectrum: Lyra II by ESI
MSX: Riyadh by Bandwagon
Playstation: Pawlov by Elitegroup
Playstation 2: Aura for Laura by Soopadoopa
Playstation Portable: Suicide Barbie
Xbox: Doomsday by Complex

And so on...
Old 01 November 2019, 13:29   #18
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
No PC demos are impressive in my opinion. You can do anything with unlimited horsepower.
Yes, at that point art, concept and design become much more important than technology. The very best Amiga demos have all of those as well as pushing the target hardware to its limit.

On the PC one of the few that I've enjoyed recently was "Coronoid - Still", just because I like the concept.
Old 01 November 2019, 13:31   #19
Seiya

my favourite demos:
PC:
[ Show youtube player ]

Amiga:
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Seiya; 01 November 2019 at 13:45.
Old 01 November 2019, 14:44   #20
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

My favorite was profane. I've been looking for it without success. I don't remember the game it was attached to. I don't remember who the team was BUT I certainly will never forget the team they were dissing:

"Eaglesoft steals our cracks!" I will never forget that line. As I recall, it came in on the tail-end of their demo.

Profane? Yeah...because it had a guy squatting over a toilet and each...well, uhm...turd - I hope that word doesn't get me in trouble - each turd dropping into the toilet was the name of a member of Eaglesoft's team.

It was hilarious. We talked about it at club meetings. I've downloaded a few titles I thought might include it but no luck. Anyone remember this?