English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 December 2010, 04:19   #41
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
No, the IIGS sound chip is a true wavetable chip...

It really was the best sound hardware available on any computer at the time..

And the Zany Golf theme is much more "full" and involved on the IIGS..

That being said, personally, I find the IIGS version a bit too busy... Almost like they were showing off what the hardware could do, rightfully so...

That's just me tho.. Quite a few people prefer the IIGS version...

desiv

From the little iv'e read about Zany golf on GS it was developed first on this machine.I would guess then that the music would sound even better and maybe a more rich sound.I can see where you might be going regarding maybe too many voices being the GS's capabilities allowed it

I'd love to hear these original tracks but there doesn't appear to be any Youtube videos other than the intro- and to be honest the intro piece isn't one of the best anyway i personally thought.Fingers crossed for the GS versions as the ingame pieces themselves are so superbly well crafted, in an almost abstract type way that makes them delightfully quirky- like no other really

Last edited by Adropac2; 22 December 2010 at 05:36.
Old 22 December 2010, 05:34   #42
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Ah it did have samples too then iv'e just read.Well that pretty much makes it the best then i would think
Old 22 December 2010, 07:35   #43
demoniac

Arkanoid II looks very similar between the 2 platforms. The Amiga version has more of a cast shadow on the balls.
Old 22 December 2010, 21:55   #44
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castelian View Post
Did you not read my reply? The frame skipping is from the screen recording tool, my lord people. READ! Also, if you cared to read my very first post, you'd see I'm comparing games that were available for both Amiga and IIGS. Turrican II was not on the IIGS (I agree, the IIGS could never play something like that). But back to the topic of this thread...I've yet to hear someone give me the name of an Amiga version of a game that has better graphics and/or sound than the IIGS version.
That's because there were so few games (your top 15 makes 9% of the total!) made for Apple IIGS, and all but a handful are ports of simplistic games from the 1985-1987 C64/Apple II era or even more inane products like Blackjack Academy.

Just compare the games list for the Apple IIGS with a typical game seller ad in Zzap 64 or CU Magazine from this period. Those were made for even more limited systems and not significantly improved when porting to 16-bit systems.

What do you want us to say about those games? Yes, it had almost as high resolution and almost as many colors, so it looks the same. Yes, it had a good soundchip, so it didn't sound bad.

(btw, I did not refer to Youtube/Camtasia frameskip in my entire post! May I suggest you take your own suggestion to learn to read? )

Ah, I think I see it now. The Amiga was never really a hit in the US like it was in Europe, and you might have missed all the (at least relative to ST/IIGS) great games that we were blessed with here? Amiga games list (OCS only)

But the problem here is the small subset for the IIGS. There's nothing we can trump you with, because the other thousands of games were made for Amiga but not for IIGS.

I tried to find something decent to challenge Amiga with in the list but only came up with Lemmings and Dungeon Master. If there's a real 3D game for the IIGS I'm pretty sure the Amiga port could best it.

It would be easier if you took a few IIGS games that you think is technically very impressive and we could say how they compare.
Old 22 December 2010, 22:22   #45
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Bit of a misnomer comparing Arkanoid, as the Amiga version was an Atari ST port, so didn't even utilise the extra colours as far as I am aware, so that would mean the ST version would compare favourably to the IIGS... ouch!
Old 16 January 2011, 19:45   #46
Castelian

Finally found a better ported game on the Amiga. Paperboy! And Holy Canoly, Batman was it atrocious on the IIGS.
Old 16 January 2011, 22:46   #47
kamelito
Zone Friend

the "ahh" sound in Task Force sounds to me a rip off of Sword of Sodan sound when you've been hitten by an enemy

Kamel
Old 19 January 2011, 02:39   #48
NfernalNfluence

[quote=Castelian;724104]Sure, ActiveGS is my favorite. Here you go:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/ RlRyMWZJQTZ5UkZFQlE9PQ

how does rastan fair on this emulator?
is there a noticeable improvement over kegs32?
Old 19 January 2011, 06:55   #49
Castelian

[quote=NfernalNfluence;730548]
Quote:
Sure, ActiveGS is my favorite. Here you go:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/ RlRyMWZJQTZ5UkZFQlE9PQ

how does rastan fair on this emulator?
is there a noticeable improvement over kegs32?
I've only used Kegs32, release 4 (ActiveGS), and it rocks! Looks like my download link expired, let me know if you want me to re-upload or if you find it ok.
Old 19 January 2011, 19:11   #50
Lord Riton

And i tought the Amiga/atari ST/Apple IIGS wars were over since a decade
Old 19 January 2011, 19:51   #51
Castelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
And i tought the Amiga/atari ST/Apple IIGS wars were over since a decade
We're not discussing which system is better (or at least I'm not). Atari ST and IIGS can't compete with Amiga! But I was simply making the observation that the IIGS has equal or better ports for every single game available for multiple systems (except Paperboy )
Old 19 January 2011, 20:02   #52
laffer
Zone Friend

The only game I've played on this system is Last Ninja, recorded a longplay long ago now.
Not a bad version, near identical to the PC port only with better (but very cheesy) sound effects.

Sadly the music is missing so it's not something I'd play normally, the music is a big part of what makes the LN games so good.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 March 2011, 21:55   #53
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Quote:
We're not discussing which system is better (or at least I'm not). Atari ST and IIGS can't compete with Amiga! But I was simply making the observation that the IIGS has equal or better ports for every single game available for multiple systems (except Paperboy )
Not to dig up an old thread but was just playing Battle Chess on the IIGS and boy is it bad compared to the Amiga version so there goes your theory.
Old 06 March 2011, 00:29   #54
Castelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolescent View Post
Not to dig up an old thread but was just playing Battle Chess on the IIGS and boy is it bad compared to the Amiga version so there goes your theory.
Yikes, you weren't kidding! Never cared for that game since its unplayable slow and so I never bothered looking into the iigs version until just now. Now only is it slow, but graphically it looks like a pile of poo. It joins in the ranks of paperboy.
Old 06 March 2011, 07:28   #55
adolescent