English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 September 2001, 21:39   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

abe.misc

Well, it may be too late for most of y'all with 3-day retention (like me!), but if anyone pays for newsfeeds with nice 30-day retention, there was a nice flood of TOSEC-style NEC PC98 games (870 disks worth!) in alt.binaries.emulators.misc over the last several days! My job has been killing me with overtime, so I only caught part of the letter E on up through Z. Somehow, it's just worthless without the entire set, though!

Tons of other good stuff this week, too, like floods of TOSEC Atari 800 BASIC/800 XL, TOSEC C64 Raw Tape, Vic20, Modeler roms, and most recently, TOSEC Atari ST!

Pretty hard to beat this newsgroup for pure chewing satisfaction!

Last edited by Twistin'Ghost; 29 September 2001 at 21:44.
Old 30 September 2001, 00:14   #2
RetroMan

Hmm, as we speak of Newsgroups, Im also trying to get something outta there, any good newsgroup-reader program on Amiga ????
Old 30 September 2001, 03:11   #3
Amigaboy

http://us2.aminet.net/aminet/find.cgi?news+reader

I can't remember which was the best though. Many loved Microdot, but sometime recently, a new program was released that was supposed to be better. I think it's called Newsrog (the first on the list on the above link), but I'm not sure

---

Or was it NewsCoaster? Bleh. Can't remember

Old 30 September 2001, 21:58   #4
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigaboy
http://us2.aminet.net/aminet/find.cgi?news+reader

I can't remember which was the best though. Many loved Microdot, but sometime recently, a new program was released that was supposed to be better. I think it's called Newsrog (the first on the list on the above link), but I'm not sure

---

Or was it NewsCoaster? Bleh. Can't remember
Thx, I have a look at them
Old 02 October 2001, 12:35   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Rather than beginning a new thread, I'll just fill you in on what's happening in this wonderful newsgroup.

The ST flood is, I guess, over. There was about 550 disks worth of demos. Which was followed by 349 disks of games (no menu disks!), which didn't all make it due to shit propagation. I got 266 of them, though.

The latest stuff is a flood of 713 Oric games. And the best of Monday's postings was the Fabulously Fully Fun GoodCPC set featuring 4192 disks (plus fills)!!! As well as TOSEC CPC Bios + Utils.

What else...oh yeah, 278 disks of Atari 800 Basic goods, 70 Atari 800 OS-B disks, 2092 Atari 800 XL binaries...but I save the best part for last.

750 Amiga disks!!! Finally, a new Amiga flood. Sure, there's bound to be dupes in there, but it's a big pile for the taking if you act fast. At this writing, I only see 157 of them have made it, so I must assume able is posting at this time.

Have fun!
Old 02 October 2001, 12:46   #6
TikTok

Thanks for the updates Twistin', much appreciated .

Usenet is a great way to get stuff, especially the smaller files - hell, I can even use my 56K modem to get those :hooooo. Now to check for a decent usenet provider......
Old 02 October 2001, 13:55   #7
Big-Byte
Long time member

How?

I have never used newsgroups before. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get connected please?

I did a search with google for usenet and got to this screen..

http://groups.google.com/googlegroup...ouncement.html

cant find any binaries archives though. Am I on the right track?

Stop your laughing at the back!
Old 02 October 2001, 14:26   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Your first step is to get a good newsreader. Forget Outlook Express. Get Agent. That is, if you buy or pirate software. Otherwise, you can use the inferior, but still worthwhile Free Agent. Can't remember the URL, but go to Google and type Agent and Forte and it will take you there.

Then you will have to find a new provider. Your ISP probably has one, but if it's a small or local ISP, forget it. Not even worth bothering, I swear.

There are some commercial providers that can give incredible feeds with 30-day retention (meaning the files won't expire on their servers for a full 30 days) for typically $20US a month. Well worth it and even though I have pretty good feeds, I will probably sign up for the 30-day retention alone!

Somebody posted some free servers on here recently, I thought. You may wanna try using the EAB search function to locate the thread, if it hasn't been killed. If it has, maybe that kind soul would like to repost those links.

When you are past those hurdles, let me know and I can give you some time-saving tips for productive usenet surfing.
Old 02 October 2001, 14:49   #9
Amigaboy

Using Newzbot, you type in the group you'd like (in this case, alt.binaries.emulators.misc) and it will search for a list of free servers which allow you to access them

Old 02 October 2001, 14:55   #10
Big-Byte
Long time member

Provide a new provider?

I dont have a provider. I surf from work. (fast and free)
Old 02 October 2001, 15:07   #11
Amigaboy

The above link will find you a list of free providers which serve the particular group you'd like

Old 15 October 2001, 06:59   #12
Uukrul

Re: abe.misc

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
there was a nice flood of TOSEC-style NEC PC98 games (870 disks worth!)
Have you tried PC98 version of Alone in the Dark?

Old 15 October 2001, 07:45   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

No, as a matter of fact I didn't even know it existed for the PC98. Was it posted with the PC98 flood from last week? Sadly, I spent so many hours at work last week, I ended up missing A-N of that flood. But I have 2 CD's of PC98 games that were posted on the previous flood for that platform, so I assumed I didn't miss much. I reckon I was wrong. Do you have this one because I would like to see it!
Old 15 October 2001, 19:44   #14
Uukrul

I uploaded it to the ADF Zone (I hope I'm not breaking any rules of the board for uploading no Amiga related stuff)

Try T98-Next PC98 emulator http://www.pc98x1.net/~t98next/ coz is a lot better than that crappy Anex86 and install it (boot the machine with a DOS disk and check that you have at least 10 megs free in your harddrive image)

Old 15 October 2001, 20:52   #15
Amiga1992

damn im really missing out goodies over there man, i have zero of those osec floods ;(
Old 15 October 2001, 20:53   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks a bunch, man! I dunno if posting these non-Amiga files is taboo or not yet, but it's only for 3 days and the zone is a bit slow now anyhow.

Oh and thanks for the groovy emulator tip (in LZH format, yet!) - can't wait to get home and play with it!
Old 15 October 2001, 20:55   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
damn im really missing out goodies over there man, i have zero of those osec floods ;(
Hehe...yeah, it's really too much stuff. I spent half of Sunday (my day off) just getting caught up. Sometimes I dread reading that newsgroup since I know I am gonna need plenty of HD space and an allocated period of time to download.

And you don't even wanna know about the floods in the mp3 groups. Or movies (DiVX, DVD, mpeg, etc.)