English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 04 December 2015, 10:06   #1
ikorodu

Kipper2k A508IDE

So my attempts to get my A500+ up and running continue (much the the disgust of my good lady wife).

Last night I was able to test the Gotek that supaduper fixed and I got games booting from it and workbench.

Next I tried the A508IDE. I installed it with the cpu adaper and an additional riser to move it back in the case and up over capacitors on the mother board. On first boot (with the 3.1 install disk in the gotek DF0: and a 2Gb SD card in a CF to SD adapter in the CF slot) I got to the WB screen. Hurrah!

BUT I was not showing any additional RAM (just 2MB chip from the mother board and the trapdoor slot). I opened HDtool box and no HDD showing either .

At this point I had to break off to empty the dishwasher (see lady wife comment above) and I left the amiga powered up. I noticed a couple of minutes later I had a software failure and the amiga was trying to reboot. But it couldn't manage it and I kept getting a flashing power light.

I tried reseating the A508 and installing without the extra risers and without the CPU adapter but no joy. I also removed the trapdoor memory but no difference.

I then removed the A508 and tried again but still nothing.

Finally having left it powered off for 5 mins and without the A508 installed it booted again. I then reinstalled the A508 and I was back to no booting, black screen and flashing power light.

I think my motherboard may be the culprit as the battery had leaked prior to removal a couple of weeks back. I have cleaned it up but there is significant bubbling on the mother board and I was surprised it worked at all to be honest.

I a have another A500 (not a plus) on its way from ebay to try again.

Anything else leap out at you as needing to be checked?