English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 20 November 2023, 09:17   #141
jurassicman

Does anyone know how long the 30% off deal lasts?
Old 20 November 2023, 17:38   #142
Lustmord13

Because when I try to overwrite to update it gives me this error "cannot overwrite the folder already exists".
Old 20 November 2023, 20:48   #143
nikosidis

Looking forward to try the new version soon Thanks for updating our Web-browser.
Old 21 November 2023, 04:47   #144
tygre
Returning fan!

Awesome, thanks to the team!
Old 21 November 2023, 10:29   #145
Calabazam

What exactly justify the major version number update? I have looked at the change log history and i have seen only corrections. Is there anything really new?
Old 21 November 2023, 10:46   #146
daxb

I would say the first two (merge v2 and v3 stuff):
Quote:
> IBrowse 2 and IBrowse 3 Unification
It's finally time to move on from IBrowse 2, which has been developed for over 20 years! IBrowse 3.0 makes available the previously unreleased features that were originally being worked on alongside IBrowse 2.4 (on a completely separate development branch), whilst retaining everything from IBrowse 2.5.9 and all the new developments since its release. The IBrowse 2 and 3 development branches are now fully merged, which was a complex and time-consuming task, due to considerable divergence. The process was completed methodically and carefully, in order to not compromise stability or lose any functionality. Development can now move forward without being restricted to the limitations of the IBrowse 2 framework, allowing for more substantial changes.

> New Reimagined HTML Parser
Debut of our new faster, more efficient and easily expandable HTML parser, originally designed for IBrowse 3.0 by Stefan Burstroem. The opportunity was also taken to add support for some missing HTML 4.01 tags and attributes.
Old 21 November 2023, 21:50   #147
qz3fwd

What were the updates merged from the separate branch? Is this detailed anywhere or are we supposed to just know what the changes are. Maybe it is obvious to others but I don’t have the history or inside knowledge to understand what this diverged code base is.
Old 21 November 2023, 23:26   #148
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
Not sure, but thanx for posting this...
Was on vacation (for a month) and not checking retro forums so would have missed this...

Haven't been able to justify $60 for this (definitely not saying it's not worth it, just a bit spendy for my hobby purchases) and the 30% off, while still more than I'd normally spend for retro software (at about $44 USD), was something I decided to stretch for...
So, I finally registered.

Thanx again.

desiv
Old 22 November 2023, 20:52   #149
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
What were the updates merged from the separate branch? Is this detailed anywhere or are we supposed to just know what the changes are. Maybe it is obvious to others but I don’t have the history or inside knowledge to understand what this diverged code base is.
Does it matter? When IBrowse 2.3 was released, work began on 3.0 (OS4 support, CSS, etc) and it was decided to also release 2.4 "quickly" which would be 2.3 + PluginAPI support (including Shockwave Flash) and some bug fixes. That is when the code changed from one branch to separate 3.x dev and 2.x release branches. After 2.4 happened, we decided we needed an OS4 version of IBrowse "asap", hence 2.5 was going to be 2.4 for OS4 with some other minor changes and fixes. In reality, 2.4 and 2.5 turned into much bigger updates than originally planned.

In terms of developers, Stefan and David were concentrating on 3.0 while Dave and I worked on 2.4. Stefan helped out with 2.4, especially on the weeks leading up to the release and with the PluginAPI. Starting with 2.5, and now 3.0, it is mainly just me (except for the code that was added/merged before 2008).

So, some things from the old 3.0 code were already backported to 2.4 and 2.5. The rest have now finally been released in IBrowse 3.0 - it made more sense to backport all the old 3.0 code changes to the 2.5 code (there were thousands of commits made on the 2.x branch after work on the old 3.x branch stopped). If you look at https://www.ibrowse-dev.net/historylog/ then, with the exception of the new HTML parser, the merge was completed in 30.1 (this took around 4-5 months). It is hard to provide a clear cut list because I had to complete or fix some of the old unreleased code while merging it in. But, gui and prefs items after the item starting "BUGID 0947", was merged in from the unreleased code. The new HTML parser originated from the old unreleased code, but it was at an early stage, so I had to adapt things to make it work with our current HTML engine - this was the main bulk of work in the 30.2 version. Everything else was developed this year after IBrowse 2.5.8 .

Did I clarify things? No, probably not much .
Old 22 November 2023, 20:54   #150
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
No - not even me . It is NOT a Black Friday only offer though! As much as I appreciate those who are registering IBrowse 3.0 before even having had a chance to use it properly (or even download it), I would much prefer people try the demo first and then make up their mind before registering. I have no intention on rushing people and withdrawing this offer too early.

Last edited by Futaura; 22 November 2023 at 20:58. Reason: More detail
Old 22 November 2023, 21:25   #151
vulture

Upgraded today from 2.5 68k. If I understand correctly the new key is universal for all versions of IB 3 ie 68k, OS4, MorphOS?
Old 22 November 2023, 21:26   #152
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaura View Post
No - not even me . It is NOT a Black Friday only offer though! As much as I appreciate those who are registering IBrowse 3.0 before even having had a chance to use it properly (or even download it), I would much prefer people try the demo first and then make up their mind before registering. I have no intention on rushing people and withdrawing this offer too early.
Thanks for your reply... and above all thanks for not putting rush on people like me that still have to find a good reason to buy it.

I mean, I appreciate a lot your work and I've been buying Amiga software for decades to support developers but I actually use very rarely ibrowse even on my A1200 with Blizzard PPC. The only things i do are going on whdload to download some installers or going on aminet to download a program.

I barely stay online for 5-10 minutes each time...

Anyway I'm thinking about it 'cause I love that people still develop for Amiga and 'cause if I'd ever decide to buy a Pistorm or a Vampire I could enjoy more browsing the Net on my miggy.
Old 22 November 2023, 21:39   #153
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
If I understand correctly the new key is universal for all versions of IB 3 ie 68k, OS4, MorphOS?
I didn't see any options for different keys for different versions when I got my 3.0 key...
And I installed 3.0 in my emulator (68K, WB 3.2) and got it working with the key.
Haven't tried it on my real A1200 yet...

Also of note was this line from my registration e-mail:
"This key will also work with IBrowse 2.5.9"

So I should be able to use this with 2.5.9 also. Not sure if there would be a reason (2.5.9 a slightly better choice for slower machines or ???), but that is a nice option as well.
Tho I haven't tried that yet...
Old 22 November 2023, 23:05   #154
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Upgraded today from 2.5 68k. If I understand correctly the new key is universal for all versions of IB 3 ie 68k, OS4, MorphOS?
That's correct - trying to uncomplicate things! It became a big complicated with 2.5 because the main promised feature originally was the OS4 native version, so I felt I had to offer 68K users an extra discount then. Since then lots of stuff was added to 2.5 which is available to all supported OS versions, hence I removed the 68K only extra discount some time ago (over a year ago, I think).

Everybody will be at the same level of registration with 3.0 and the OS is no longer a differentiating factor.
Old 22 November 2023, 23:11   #155
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Also of note was this line from my registration e-mail:
"This key will also work with IBrowse 2.5.9"

So I should be able to use this with 2.5.9 also. Not sure if there would be a reason (2.5.9 a slightly better choice for slower machines or ???), but that is a nice option as well.
Tho I haven't tried that yet...
Mainly in case I broke something in 3.0 that works in 2.5.9, so anyone can easily revert to that version if need be. With 2.5, you used to also get a 2.1-2.4 key free, but I figured nobody will want to use those anymore - 2.5 is more stable and SSL works, for example.
Old 23 November 2023, 10:14   #156
vulture

@Futaura

That's very nice
Old 23 November 2023, 11:23   #157
Octopus66

Amazing, looking forward to trying this out.
Old 24 November 2023, 23:43   #158
Calabazam

I have just checked the IBrowse website, and i was about to download Ibrowse 3, happy to have read that 2.5 key was good for 3.0, but that's not for the 68k, only for users of 68k/ppc version! That's cold to have to pay again for the licence less than a year after having paid for 2.5, i'm disappointed. What would be the reason to give it for free to PPC users who seems to have the more functionnality and not to 68k users?

EDIT: seems i have a 68k/ppc license anyway, didn't know that, i have no OS4/MOS ppc.

reEDIT : for now IB3 seems a lot slower than 2.5.9 to load EAB frontpage, with a lot of Javascript delay. Rendering of the webpage seems similar. I need to check further.

Last edited by Calabazam; 25 November 2023 at 00:08.
Old 25 November 2023, 12:17   #159
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
I have just checked the IBrowse website, and i was about to download Ibrowse 3, happy to have read that 2.5 key was good for 3.0, but that's not for the 68k, only for users of 68k/ppc version! That's cold to have to pay again for the licence less than a year after having paid for 2.5, i'm disappointed. What would be the reason to give it for free to PPC users who seems to have the more functionnality and not to 68k users?

EDIT: seems i have a 68k/ppc license anyway, didn't know that, i have no OS4/MOS ppc
PPC users don't have more functionality, other than IBrowse making use of OS specific features. Originally the plan was to move away from OS3 to OS4, but there are still more OS3 users than OS4. Therefore, development for the OS3 version will continue.

Things were a lot different with the initial 2.5 release - the main intention for that was the
new OS4 native version, although AmiSSL v4 support was a big part too. An extra 68K only discount was offered to existing customer upgrades due to this. These were withdrawn sometime ago and new users were always full 68K/PPC licenses. IBrowse 3 has moved completely away from this idea - now one license covers all systems.

Glad you have found out you got a free upgrade
Old 25 November 2023, 23:11   #160
Calabazam

Yes thanks.

I would like to report that IB3 on my setup (OS 3.1/A4000/CS MK2 68060/ZZ9000/Latest Miami non Deluxe) can't load Obligement website (http://obligement.free.fr). It is working fine with IB2.4 and IB2.5.