English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 14 January 2017, 08:38   #1
tooki41

Exporting, edit and importing fonts

Hallo im looking short(may be long ) tutorial may be at any game how to exporting, edit and importing fonts to game. My target is Hero Quest.Any way like i told if some body can explain me how to do it of any game, what software i need i be very grateful.

Cheers

Old 14 January 2017, 15:39   #2
tooki41

Maybe i start wrong, i see in hex editor plain text from Hero Quest mission introduction, and i can translate the text, but i have a two problems
1. When i add more letters in text and save adf file game not working, maybe somebody now how to bypass that problem.
2.I wont import/extract/decode the fonts becouse i wont add Polish letters like:ą ę ż ź, etc.

If somebody can help me solve although first problem have a beer from me.

Thanks

PS: Sorry i forgot edit first post

Old 14 January 2017, 15:53   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There are no generic solutions. You need to find out how the game stores the graphics and so on. Very boring.
Old 14 January 2017, 15:54   #4
Pat the Cat
Banned

I think is font editor included in Workbench, also, where many shareware / freeware programs to edit fonts.

So is font editor you want, for Amiga bit map fonts. Not True Type (TTF fonts), games do not use TTF that I know of.

Do search for "font editor" on Aminet. Or "Amiga Font Editor" on search engine.

Hard to do on emulator, easier if you have real Amiga.
Old 14 January 2017, 15:59   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Games use OS fonts very very rarely (which includes Hero Quest). Font editor won't help.
Old 14 January 2017, 16:02   #6
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Games use OS fonts very very rarely (which includes Hero Quest). Font editor won't help.
Waggles fingers... it is true that they rarely use font FILES, but ofteh the actual data in the program is a font file.

It depends how the game was written, I agree with you there. Typically, a PC port would not be that compatible, so the coders just ripped the data out of the fonts and used that.

It is also a big job, I agree with you there - but if the OP can extract the font data from the game, they will need tools to edit the fonts.

Before putting the edited data back in the game.... You cannot do that with an ADF. You have to use a real kind of filing system, not a virtual one like ADF.
Old 14 January 2017, 16:16   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There are no fonts files either in most games. Unless your "font file" means 1 or more planes bitmap with some game specific width and height, originally drawn with some paint program.
Old 14 January 2017, 16:22   #8
Pat the Cat
Banned

<shrug> If the game was written in C, it was a lot easier to just INCLUDE the original font file, rather than hacking the data out and including that instead.

This is why PC ported games often have the file embedded in them. Extract, edit, reinject, the font is used by the program.