English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 June 2002, 11:07   #1
Roderick

Enigma/Phenomena graphics corruption

Hi,

In the demo Enigma by Phenomena the text displays between demo parts are corrupted, see the attached image. This occurs with WinUAE 0.8.8R9, 0.8.21R2 and also 0.8.21R4. I've downloaded the demo from three different websites and all have this graphics corruption. Is this a bug in the emulation, or are all of the downloaded diskimages corrupt? Thanks for any help.

Old 30 June 2002, 11:12   #2
Roderick

Sorry, forgot to attach the image. Here it is. The text should be: "Yes!!! Let the demo begin with a weird cube"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enigma.gif
Views:	428
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	2841  

Old 30 June 2002, 11:19   #3
Roderick

No, havent't tried it with Winfellow (I also don't have winfellow installed). If people want to give it a try, here's a link to this cult demo:

http://www.marktallee.de/ada/showdemo.php3?id=182

Old 30 June 2002, 15:40   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Known UAE bug. Easy workaround: tick "immediate blitter"

I'd say over 95% of current graphics problems are caused by wrong CPU/blitter speed emulation.

I am slowly adding cycle exact blitter and cpu emulation (there is no other way to fix this) to future version(s).
Old 30 June 2002, 16:47   #5
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Cool

I've downloaded the demo and transferred it to my A500. It seems to run OK. It's a really cool demo by the way!

So you can rule out disk image corruption.
Old 30 June 2002, 17:42   #6
Roderick

Yes the inmediate blitter fixes the problem! Thank you for pointing that out Tony Sune als thanks fot testing the diskimage on your A500; it is indeed a very nice demo

Additionaly ticking inmediate blit solved another problem which I was suffering lately. With SlamTilt the screen would fade to white after selecting a table and then everything would come to a halt. Ticking the inmediate blit also solves this.

Tony, you said that you are slowly adding cycle exact cpu and blitter emulation, which is very good indeed. Do you have any indication if current high end PC's, say AthlonXP 1500+ and DDR memory, will be fast enough for handling cycle exact Amiga emulation? Thanks.

Old 01 July 2002, 16:17   #7
thomas

I vaguely remember the demo looking like this on a real Amiga, too.
Old 02 July 2002, 11:37   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Tony, you said that you are slowly adding cycle exact cpu and blitter emulation, which is very good indeed. Do you have any indication if current high end PC's, say AthlonXP 1500+ and DDR memory, will be fast enough for handling cycle exact Amiga emulation? Thanks.
I now have crude and totally unoptimized cycle-exact code in place.. I was quite surprised because it "only" requires about 50% more CPU power. My Athlon XP 1400+ with DDR can run most A500 programs full speed in cycle-exact mode.

Blitter seems to run with correct speed (if Hardware reference manual's blitter cycle usage chart is correct.. I don't want to waste time by doing some experiments with my real A500) CPU timing still needs tweaking.
Old 02 July 2002, 22:31   #9
Roderick

Great . I believe there are still some of us with a real Amiga in the closet somewhere, so if there's testing/benchmarking to be done with the real hardware then just give a shout. I don't think we would consider that to be a waste of time

Old 04 July 2002, 18:00   #10
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Testing on real A500

Quote:
Originally posted by Roderick
Great . I believe there are still some of us with a real Amiga in the closet somewhere, so if there's testing/benchmarking to be done with the real hardware then just give a shout. I don't think we would consider that to be a waste of time
Right on!

So...I hereby volunteer for the blitter testers panel!

Testing equipment:

PentiumIII-600
256MB Ram
Geforce2 Titanium
Soundblaster Live

Amiga Explorer from Cloanto and twisted serial cable

Amiga 500 with 512Kb Ram expansion
Two external floppy drives
1024S Monitor