English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 October 2021, 22:00   #1
stevelord

Hacking ZX Spectrum Games Like It's 1989

I thought a lot of people here would be of a similar age and might like this.

I wrote a small guide to hacking spectrum games in my newsletter this month. It's a nice weekend afternoon project to fill a gap in your childhood if you never got round to it. The guide should work in an emulator but if you have a Multiface and copy of the Genie disassembler it should work there too.

Might not be that useful, but I hope someone finds it fun...
Old 07 October 2021, 22:47   #2
Havie

Are you calling us all old!

I am not admitting to owning one of the first Speccys - had saved up for a ZX81+16k but luckily Speccy was advertised and I went for one...took a few months to arrive though.

Good read - thanks!
Old 08 October 2021, 21:10   #3
WayneK

Thanks, you don't see many articles on Speccy hacking since most of the modern stuff is cracked/trainer in Russia!

When I was messing around cracking some Spectrum stuff last year, I ended up using HACK_PACK (c) SIGMASOFT (the program SCREENMONI in there, it has no breakpoints but you can insert a JP $5CD0 to enter the monitor anywhere) - considering this didn't require a multiface cartridge I was quite impressed with it.
Old 08 October 2021, 21:32   #4
stevelord

@Havie - Are you calling me old now ? *wrinkly sad face*

@WayneK - I had a quick look at the manual and it walks through auto-decrypting a Speedlock loader. Looks like there's some interesting toys in there, thanks for the heads up!