English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 July 2006, 01:22   #1
bertambala

Unhappy A4000 hangs when Picasso IV is installed

Hello everyone,

I just got a Picasso IV (rev. 1.2) that I bought on eBay, and I followed the installation instructions I found on aminet (http://main.aminet.net/docs/rview/PicassoIV.txt). However, whenever I boot the machine with the PIV installed it hangs. More specifically, no video signal is sent to the monitor and the HDD light stays on for about 15 or 20 seconds, though it doesn't sound like it is being accessed.

I've also hooked my external scandoubler/flicker fixer up at the same time and the monitor receives a signal (turns on), but the machine still hangs and no image is ever displayed. The machine works normally when I remove the PIV.

Info about my machine:
- A4000D
- 16 MB of Fast RAM
- Socketed Buster 11
- X-Surf 3cc
- Kickstart 3.1 ROMs, OS 3.9 (Boing Bag 2 with 3.9 soft ROM)

Is the card hosed, or am I (hopefully) missing something? Thanks in advance...

Old 05 July 2006, 07:34   #2
keropi

u got that "buy it now" picassoIV for ~230$ ???
Old 05 July 2006, 09:15   #3
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

Do you just get a black screen when you boot up? Or can you get onto Workbench?
Old 06 July 2006, 04:16   #4
bertambala

keropi: Yes, that was me. I previously purchased my 4000D and a Super Buster rev. 11 from that seller, and while the prices were high everything has been in great shape up to this point. It's a ridiculous amount of money to spend, but after "lusting" for one of these cards for 10 years, I just wanted to secure one at last.

adgloride: I just get a black screen. Well actually, no video singal is ever passed from the PIV - the monitor stays asleep. When the external SD/FF is connected along with the PIV being installed, the monitor turns on but remains black.

Old 06 July 2006, 12:58   #5
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I had the same problem, except with a Buster 9 board (buster 11 board worked). I had to change the jumper on the Picasso IV board to force Zorro II mode to get it to work.

The machine was continually rebooting. Not sure if same problem you are having.

Extending on adgloride's question, does the machine actually boot in Workbench etc, but nothing is displayed, or does it halt in the middle of booting?
Old 07 July 2006, 07:51   #6
bertambala

Hi Calgor,

I just tried setting the jumper to force the Zorro II mode, but it didn't have any effect on my problem. My machine isn't making it anywhere close to the WB - it sounds to me like the IDE controller detects the HDD, and then nothing else.

I followed some instructions from some folks at Amiga.org as well, and it looks like the card is definitely horked. sigh.

Old 10 July 2006, 15:13   #7
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

You should then first see whether the card shows up in early startup screen, when it is the only zorro card in ur system.

Then, you should try to boot from floppy so it doesn't try the hard disk.
You should try even boot WB3.1 off floppies. If it boots, but there is no display, it may be the flicker fixer chip on the card causing a problem.

Also then maybe try remove OS3.9BB2 ROM update (this may stay loaded even if hard disk is only accessed once during boot, and you need to cold boot to get rid of it).

You might be able to see some previous threads on the probs i had with the card on this forum.