English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 05 April 2002, 21:14   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Disksalv 4 - crippled version?

Hi,

I've tried everything imaginable (this includes reading the .guide file), but I cannot get that damn option activated (marked with red circle).
Why? This option toggles between DEEP scanning mode and NORMAL scanning mode. I'm beginning to think this is a crippled version because I always get a screen flash, and the option is still in NORMAL state afterwards...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disksalv4.gif
Views:	959
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	2135  
Old 05 April 2002, 22:30   #2
jmmijo

I guess I missed this version I seem to have the earlier one which doesn't look like this at all. Can somebody elaberate on this further for me as well? I'm off to look for it now, thanks
Old 05 April 2002, 23:07   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Andreas, I get the same thing (and I have an original that came from Dave himself!)

Personally, I don't believe DiskSalv lives up to its potential, anyhow. There's several really stupid things in that program (like the means you have to select files to be recovered, the way sometimes you have to quit the program to get back to start over an operation, the cryptic buttons, etc.) I would have expected a better interface and operational use from someone like Haynie.

Mind you, I use the program quite regularly. There really aren't enough tools for this type of thing on the Amiga. The three major players are DiskSalv, Quarterback Tools, and AmiBack Tools. Back when I was really using these things, I needed all three (and some other old programs) since no one program provided all I needed for file and disk restoration. QBT certainly has its strengths. AmiBack Tools looks good, but is the lesser of the three, IMO.
Old 05 April 2002, 23:15   #4
jmmijo

It seems Disksalv 4 is still a commercial product, at least the pages I've found so far, is this still correct?

I also remember using AmiBack Tools and Quarterback Tools as well as the older versions of Disksalv. I had more problems with a few dodgy floppy disks then I ever had with hard drives
Old 05 April 2002, 23:24   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I once had a virus (and ONLY once!) on my Amiga that wiped out my hard drive. I called my friend Kevin and in a panic, asked him what to do. He had me run Quarterback Tools (1.5? 1.6? - the old WB1.3-looking version) and had me unformat the drive. I thought he was mad! Of course I didn't then known (nor now) what the heck unformat is. After that, he walked me through some other recovery stuff and damned if I didn't restore everything back to where it was! So I owe QBT one!