English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 April 2022, 13:19   #21
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
Are you serious ?
There are thousands of "indie" games out there, so how do you know every indie game ?
It wasn't perhaps the best use of English, but even so I'd have thought it's obvious I did not mean it as "every single indie game ever released"

While I do think pixel art would be better choice, it's not even that necessary. You can achieve striking, original visuals using the modern style too, but my point was that this trailer does look neither striking nor original - just a standard, cookie cutter fare. And from this franchise I'd expect much more, especially when names like Lucasfilm are mentioned. They are not exactly some indie minnows, and could afford to pump some more resources into this project should they want to. Perhaps them being Disneyified is a factor too, since these people won't take any gambles on some retro franchise (not sure where the notion it isn't retro comes from) and just want to play it safe and cheap.
Old 06 April 2022, 14:23   #22
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post

Really looking forward to this. Slightly gutted I missed out on the 30th anniversary anthology. I felt that should have been better marketed but perhaps they were intentionally going for a limited release.
Now you made me sad as I have missed out on this and it looks freeking awesome. No doubt will be on ebay at some point for like £300

Last edited by S0ulA55a551n; 06 April 2022 at 16:46.
Old 06 April 2022, 15:46   #23
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
It would be a retro game that harkened back to Monkey Island 1 and 2. I'd do it as "enhanced low-res". Nice crisp retro art, but augmented by the hardware we have today: parallaxing, depth of field, warm glows, etc. All the stuff we wanted to do back in 1990 but couldn't. Monkey Island deserves that. It's authentic. It doesn't need 3D. Yes, I've seen the video, it's very cool, but Monkey Island wants to be what it is. I would want the game to be how we all remember Monkey Island.
Then Disney happened.
Old 06 April 2022, 15:46   #24
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
It wasn't perhaps the best use of English, but even so I'd have thought it's obvious I did not mean it as "every single indie game ever released"

While I do think pixel art would be better choice, it's not even that necessary. You can achieve striking, original visuals using the modern style too, but my point was that this trailer does look neither striking nor original - just a standard, cookie cutter fare. And from this franchise I'd expect much more, especially when names like Lucasfilm are mentioned. They are not exactly some indie minnows, and could afford to pump some more resources into this project should they want to. Perhaps them being Disneyified is a factor too, since these people won't take any gambles on some retro franchise (not sure where the notion it isn't retro comes from) and just want to play it safe and cheap.
I hear you Dreadnought ; It´s allright; besides Art is subjective.
Still, imho "Indie" games have always an Edge over "AAA" games.
Hmmm, i guess i have played around 5-6000 Games in my life, so i have seen it pretty much all. ( "Indies" can still suprise me and i love them for it )

Anyhow, i know that trailer was pretty shot but i have found so much eastereggs and care put into this very short trailer that i am pretty confident that it will be a great Monkey Island.

It has its Roots in the "Curse of Monkey Island" Art Style and even Murry is here.

I loved Thimbleweed Park so much and i hope Return to Monkey Island 3 will be just as awesome as Thimbleweed

I am there; day one, for the Return of Monkey Island

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 06 April 2022 at 15:51. Reason: adding a few Emoji´s
Old 06 April 2022, 16:49   #25
Bren McGuire

we all love Monkey Island, myself included, but at some points it felt like corners were cut regarding the story.
Thimbleweed Park wasn't even finished properly, that ending was an absolute cop out and it made it clear they couldn't be bothered to end the game, felt like they lost track of the story at some point.

I hope this new game doesn't end up being that way.

by the way, no, no way Ron Gilbert "got the license back", this is a Lucasfilm Games production, a Disney company. Disney doesn't "give back" anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFou! View Post
yes, I saw that, I 'm happy
Ron Gilbert was finally able to get the license back.
Old 06 April 2022, 16:59   #26
dreadnought

Quote:
I hear you Dreadnought ; It´s allright; besides Art is subjective.
Still, imho "Indie" games have always an Edge over "AAA" games.
Fair enough, mate. My post was really badly worded, it wasn't meant to be dismissive against indie games at all, since I admire so many of them and play more of them than AAA ones (Noita probably being the game of a decade for me).

I'm just a bit tired of so many games having the same "factory" look these days...but at least the indies which use it can blame it on lower budgets.
Old 06 April 2022, 17:08   #27
Bren McGuire

it can be argued the "same" pixel look is also overused, too many indie games use it.

Thimbleweed Park did it this way. I feel it only made development slower, it doesn't look fantastic. There's only so much you can do with that medium, etc etc.

have a read at this for some perspective: http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel...ces-pixel-art/
Quote:
I'm just a bit tired of so many games having the same "factory" look these days...but at least the indies which use it can blame it on lower budgets.
Old 06 April 2022, 18:15   #28
Fiery Phoenix

Agree about the ending of Thimbleweed Park - such a cop out. However enjoyed playing it all the way through and some nice Easter Eggs in there too (like watering the plant)

People complained about the Special Editions graphical style but thought it was ok tbf and gave you the option to switch to classic view - which would be great here.

I do like pixel art though and love the FOA style (pity about the fan made games stuck in limbo or legal notices from Disney came their way) much more than Maniac Mansion style.

TellTale did an ok job with Tales, but with Gilbert on board hoping for great things - just hope it is not an episodic game - thats my wish!
Old 06 April 2022, 18:31   #29
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
it can be argued the "same" pixel look is also overused, too many indie games use it.
I've already said that it doesn't have to be the pixel look, as long as it's something that stands out - and that trailer doesn't. We're talking about Monkey Island after all, this game was a gaming milestone for a few big reasons. Cutting edge, distinctive art style was one of them.

I'm pretty sure it'll be a decent game, but I'm simply not that interested in a fan-service style releases. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't try to aim for a bit more than a passable, nostalgia & reference-driven trip down the memory lane, which is what the trailer and 2022 release date implies. I'd much rather see a full-on, absolutely top notch effort with big production values instead, just like back in the day.

Anyway, hope I can be proven wrong, but not holding my breath. We'll see in a few months, I guess.
Old 06 April 2022, 19:19   #30
Torti-the-Smurf

I can totally understand your Point

But i have pretty good faith in Ron and the Crew

Besides, it was only a Teaser. Lets wait for the next bits we get

Hope for the best ( Ron, we are counting on you )

Old 06 April 2022, 19:53   #31
arcanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
Now you made me sad as I have missed out on this and it looks freeking awesome. No doubt will be on ebay at some point for like £300
Almost right
Old 06 April 2022, 21:11   #32
eXeler0

Agree with lots of comments about disliking the ”generic indie -art style”. Its hard being original, but ok fine, the game can still be good. It would be worse of course if it was the other way around.. amazing graphics but sucky story and frustrating gameplay (which it hopefully wont have).
My kids have games spanning 5 decades atvtheir disposal and graphics alone never win. Ever..
Old 06 April 2022, 22:25   #33
Bren McGuire

you gonna judge the looks of an unfinished game of which no actual gameplay has been shown, by a teaser that was done as a quick joke/introduction?? okay man. who even says that will be the actual graphic style, but, i am not sure what is that you actually want, since you are the art critic here, maybe show us examples of what you think is good, because i cannot visualize it, but maybe i am dumb.

Quote:
I've already said that it doesn't have to be the pixel look, as long as it's something that stands out - and that trailer doesn't.
Old 07 April 2022, 16:15   #34
JonSick

Agreed, I mean, it's a teaser. And Ron Gilbert looks to be the guy in charge. To me it's all a good thing. Personally I'm looking forward to it. And really nobody born after 1995 has ever heard of Monkey Island (well, bar a few real nerds). So I'm all up for him to make use of whatever technology stack is appropriate. Personally, while the original games have their charm with their pixel-style graphics, it is 2022 afterall.

Next, someone will be moaning it doesn't come on floppy disks haha.
Old 07 April 2022, 19:18   #35
eXeler0

Ill be extremely dissapointed if it doesn’t come with a code-wheel
Old 07 April 2022, 19:49   #36
arcanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSick View Post
Next, someone will be moaning it doesn't come on floppy disks haha.
Thimbleweed came with a floppy.
Old 08 April 2022, 02:13   #37
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFou! View Post
In the trailer, there is Murray.
Do not speak his name that lightly.
He is powerful demonic force! He's the harbinger of your doom! And the forces of darkness will applaud when he STRIDE through the gates of hell carrying your head on a pike!

Quote:
Are you serious ?
I think he is just tired (like me) of modern trends trying to always looks minimalistic and simplified, and like a flash game.
Sure, it looks nice, colors are great, composition is nice and all that, but it's not something I dreamed as a kid when thinking about future games, like Street Fighter 2 and Monkey Island.
I thought in the future there will be insane big resolutions, and insane detailed drawings, and stuff like that, but it's rarely happened.

Look at this for example:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 April 2022, 08:22   #38
skan
Dream Merchant

I dunno if the final game will be 100% like the teaser (but following the involved ones on twitter I suspect that's the case, alas), but that visual style / graphic design on a MI game sounds like an 84yo grandpa talking like a 12yo. My only hope is for storytelling and gameplay, because art direction is a huge NO for me, sorry.
Old 08 April 2022, 13:06   #39
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I thought in the future there will be insane big resolutions, and insane detailed drawings, and stuff like that, but it's rarely happened.
The video is nice but for a modern game you would need much smoother animation. And then you probably wouldn't want to be limited to one perspective. Nobody could pixel all those animation frames, thus, you would have to use 3D models. And that's pretty much where we are. The models that get used are detailed on a microscopic level (you can't see any straight lines or triangles) but quite basic on a larger scale (simple geometries, simple colour schemes). I don't think they would look better with more detailed geometries but perhaps you are right and it just hasn't been tried enough yet.
Old 08 April 2022, 13:55   #40
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post

Look at this for example:
[ Show youtube player ]
Oh boy, not a good example

"Styles" are "Tools" imho.
Like a Painter/Musican/Filmmaker chooses his tools to create there Vision.
A film like "DEAD MAN" is shot in Black & White; not because they couldnt shoot in Colour

In the end, i dont care what Ron chooses for his baby
I/we only want a fun and worthy Monkey Island Adventure

; And i am looking forward to chat with that mighty Skull...
you know; the one´s name we shouldn´t mention