English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 July 2021, 10:49   #1
UKRobbie

Use Amiga GOTEK on Rasberry pie with PiMiga?

Hi, I’m just wondering if there is anyway on using a Amiga GOTEK on Rasberry pie with PiMiga?

I know it’s pretty mad. But after seeing what PiMiga can do.
And the pie with the IDE pin header. I’m just wondering if it’s possible?

Thank you
Old 02 July 2021, 11:56   #2
Jope
-

Not possible currently (this does not imply anyone will ever implement it, mind you).

I don't really understand the use case. You already have an emulator running on the Pi, that takes ADF files, so why wouldn't you just feed the files into the emulator directly? Plug the USB drive into the Raspberry Pi?

I must admit I don't have any PiMiga experience, so maybe the UI is so limited that you can't just insert whatever ADF you like? In that case I suggest using a different emulator that allows you to do this.
Old 02 July 2021, 12:42   #3
UKRobbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Not possible currently (this does not imply anyone will ever implement it, mind you).

I don't really understand the use case. You already have an emulator running on the Pi, that takes ADF files, so why wouldn't you just feed the files into the emulator directly? Plug the USB drive into the Raspberry Pi?

I must admit I don't have any PiMiga experience, so maybe the UI is so limited that you can't just insert whatever ADF you like? In that case I suggest using a different emulator that allows you to do this.
I never said I have a pie with an emulator!
My Amiga sadly died and was going to get another Amiga motherboard at first. But since I had bad luck with dodgy sellers on eBay selling poorly condition motherboards with broken pads. That I had to send back! I’m thinking instead of getting a another Amiga. Get a pie 400 with pimige. I’m very new to this OS! I didn’t know it can run ADF files. Yes a floppy drive emu would be amazing to use on it. Saves keeps opening up the emulator menu. To import the images. Plus I have a gotex emu laying around with a screen. Thought I ask if possible then leaving it sitting there or using it as a paper weight.

I’m sick and tired of spending money on new used motherboards and old components to get my Amiga back to life. The one I had sadly has just stopped working! Old age sadly. Then me spending loads and loads on old hardware. I thought I give this a try! That I know won’t fail and will last!

I could take my Amiga to a repair shop!
But then it’s packing it up and taking it there. Probably will cost an arm and a leg!
That’s if it is repairable. Then the other components I have Connected in the Amiga. I don’t know if they are good or bad components.

Anyway sorry for asking, I guess. lol

Last edited by UKRobbie; 02 July 2021 at 12:52.
Old 02 July 2021, 13:32   #4
Jope
-

Ok, sorry for offending you.

You didn't say whether you owned a raspi or whether you were just thinking of getting one, hence I must make assumptions. And assumptions are always incorrect, as we saw once again.

ADF files are disk images, any Amiga emulator is guaranteed / expected to be able to use ADF files in some form. Because the emulator already emulates a floppy drive, not many people will be looking into implementing gotek support for an amiga emulator, as there is not much added benefit there.

Anyway, hope you can find something that works for you. Apparently the raspi based emulation packages are somewhat nice for playing games, where you're going to insert a known set of ADFs into the emulator's emulated drives before you start it. Usually from some kind of joystick friendly menu with game names in it.
Old 13 July 2021, 01:36   #5
CubeTheory

I've just set up a MiSTer for the same reasons.

I still have my original A500 which works great, with an ACA500Plus, but i used to have a couple of A1200's , one of which i Towered and fitted a Blizzard 1230/50 and various other bits. I stupidly sold this in 2007 for about a tenth of what it's probably worth today, and i kinda miss it.

However, I have no desire to blow around £800 on an A1200 and a Blizzard. the Mister will give me a similar experience to that machine for a fraction of the price, with RTG to boot. Sure i could achieve this on the Pi-400 running Amiberry, but, i guess the MiSTer feels closer to real hardware (it's all psychological , i know). I've never felt that with the Pi-400 setup