English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. AMOS

Old 17 June 2021, 19:12   #1
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

Problem keeping different banks in memory [Solved]

I'm doing a project in AMOS Pro 2.0 where I need to keep four banks of different types in memory at the same time, e.g.
Code:
 Load "Sprites.Abk",1
 Load "Icons.Abk",2
 Load "Samples.Abk",5
 Load "ModTrack.Abk",6
But try as I might, I'm left with only one or sometimes two banks in memory after a List Bank (samples seems to stay put... sometimes). The sprite bank tends to clear out the icon bank out and vice versa. I tried using Bank Swap to move it to the side, with the same result. The banks were saved with the proper IDs. Omitting or changing the IDs doesn't solve the problem. The manual states you can have multiple banks in memory. My sample bank is 300K but I have 2mb chip so I don't think that's the issue. The graphics banks are both small.

Looking at 14.E.02, Memory Bank Headers, I see Address_Of_Next_Bank is a field for a linked list. Maybe since I created my banks using separate utilities of mine there's no coherent chain? Am I really supposed to poke around here, or is there a utility for combining multiple .Abk files? I suppose I can just combine my grabbing utilities and save out a Mega.Abk... but I'm thinking I must be missing something as being able to load banks separately would be a convenience.

Edit: SOLVED. Banks must be saved with a number i.e. Save "Name.Abk",1 or they can't be loaded separately. Saving with just Save "Name.Abk" will save all banks in memory and link them up, likely causing the rejection problems I was having.

Last edited by Arne; 17 June 2021 at 20:57. Reason: Solved
Old 17 June 2021, 19:23   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Do you use any extensions other than the ones thar come with AmosPro? AMCAF is quite helpful for some issues as the Amos Music extension has bugs in it that also apply to the Sam Play command. Also, a multi bank file is called a .SBK file but is seldom used.
Old 17 June 2021, 19:44   #3
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

No extra extensions that I know of. I just installed AMOS Pro 2.0 and the Compiler disks the other day, so it's fresh. I don't know what AMCAF is and there doesn't seem to be any info on what it's for (Bugfix? More features?). I'm going to pretend that it stands for Close Assault Factor as I used to play* SPACE MARINE.
* Just paint, badly, a small fraction.
Old 17 June 2021, 19:49   #4
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Amos Miscellaneous Commands And Functions is what AMCAF stands for. The current version is 1.5 beta but the last documentation for it was for version 1.4 on Aminet.net .
Old 17 June 2021, 20:02   #5
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

I see. It's a new thing? I haven't kept up with the recent developments but I heard that the sourcecode was made available or something.

I'm thinking my problem might be that I saved my banks from Direct mode as I do a fair bit of work from there. Now, the Direct mode button saves out an .Abk but perhaps it's an .Sbk in disguise, which conceivably could be more strict with the bank linked list, thus ejecting my other banks upon load.
Old 17 June 2021, 20:22   #6
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

AmosPro was always able to add commands by way of extensions. http://aminet.net/package/dev/amos/AMCAF150Final is a link to the AMCAF extension install package. http://aminet.net/package/dev/amos/AMCAFExt140Exa is the example code using it. http://aminet.net/package/dev/amos/Amcaf-PDF has the PDF version of the AMCAF manual.

The new version of AmosPro based on the released sources is going to be called AmosPro Unity. Hopefully there will be some progress listed at http://amos-professional-aga.frederic-cordier.fr/ but the webpage got hacked last month.
Old 17 June 2021, 20:53   #7
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. I do use Sam Play so maybe I'll need the updated Music thingy.

As for my problem, it seems saving .Abk using the Direct mode button, i.e.
Save Fsel('*.Abk')
does save all banks in one package as that's the default behavior when no number is given. This sets up a linked list which causes my problem.

So, I tried
Code:
Save "Spr.Abk",1
Save "Ico.Abk",2
Save "Sam.Abk",5
Erase All
Load "Spr.Abk",1
Load "Ico.Abk",2
Load "Sam.Abk",5
ListBank

And they're all there now. Problem solved! This behavior is detailed on 05.09.4, Memory Banks and I didn't RTFM.
Old 17 June 2021, 21:55   #8
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

I'm glad you figured it out. The Pt Sam Play and Pt Play commands are really much better than the regular Sam Play and Track Play commands though. AMCAF's Imploder Load command will allow individually compressed banks to load after being compressed with the File Imploder utility (fimp) found at http://aminet.net/package/util/pack/imploder-4.0.

There are numerous uses of AMCAF besides what I've told you as well. Look at the manual and you'll see what I mean.