English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 August 2020, 13:31   #41
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I saw an Amiga 500 at my classmate's home. It was attached to a family TV (Black and White) and the first things he showed to me were Turrican 2 and Gods. So it was 1991.

I had C64 (with datasette) at that time and after I returned home, I couldn't even look at it anymore.
Old 27 August 2020, 17:45   #42
RichL

The worst for me was looking at the adverts for Silica Shop in Zzap at the Batman pack with something like 'only £3.22 a week' or something and be like I can save my pocket money etc but not realising at that age you couldn't get a credit account!!
Old 31 August 2020, 04:42   #43
Storm
SYS64738

I got my first computer in 1985, being a C64. Of course I then used to get the fabulous Zzap64 magazine and that's where I first saw mention of an Amiga. In 1989 I first saw one for real in a department store, an A500 with an A590 displaying a picture slideshow (remember when they were big thing?) I wanted one badly. A friend got an A500 and showed me Soundtracker ... well the rest is history, as they say
Old 31 August 2020, 09:35   #44
modrobert
old bearded fool

Computer exhibition in Stockholm, probably in 1987 or 1988 (not sure), showing the Amiga 1000, it had 'Marble Madness' running and they also showed 'Defender of the Crown'. Remember being impressed by the games and the multitasking workbench demoed. I had a C128 at the time which felt like a stupid upgrade (GO64 anyone?) but the Amiga was definitely something worth upgrading to, got an A500 later when it was released.
Old 31 August 2020, 17:36   #45
Foebane
Banned

I'm not entirely certain what my earliest Amiga memory is, but I definitely remember going into a local computer store in Cardiff which had an A500 running Shadow of the Beast in 1989. I was impressed, but to this day I am baffled why, when my parents offered me a computer upgrade, I went for the Atari ST instead - I suppose it was to stay loyal to the brand, but I never even asked for a demo between the two when it came to buying the system. Luckily, I convinced my parents that it was the Amiga I meant to get, after a few months of the ST and seeing what I was missing in the shop. Expensive mistake for my Dad on my part, I do not remember how I convinced them.
Old 31 August 2020, 19:28   #46
chip

Pinball Fantasies !

Yep, this was the game i remember i wanted to play .... so i needed an Amiga
Old 31 August 2020, 21:29   #47
TEG

My first memory related to the Amiga is an article in the French magazine "Tilt" which was talking about the next Commodore computer, the Amiga, that will have a chip dedicated to draw lines faster than any other computers!
What!??? That sound totally crazy but genius!!! Let's wait for it.

Then, later, I saw screenshots of this famous computer. It was the A1000 with Marble Madness and another game showing the cockpit of an extra-terrestrial ship. It was not appealing and out of budget.
I bought an Atari ST some time later because it was affordable.

Finally in a supermarket, a day, I saw from my own eyes, a real A500 with the "Blair Sullivan" running cat demo. It was just incredible!

Some time later, the price of the A500 drop a bit and was more acceptable for my budget so I resold the ST and finally got the Grail! My first game was Blood Money, the sound was incredible.

Last edited by TEG; 31 August 2020 at 21:40.
Old 01 September 2020, 19:27   #48
Sona

In 1988 I went to the computer Info Exhibition in Kuwait, "MSX Sakhr" was the Big player in these days, and I want to buy MSX2 computer when I saw people gathering to see a presentation and this man showing Amiga artwork King Tutankhamun it was amazing image I did not believe my Eyes! The Picture Resolution was So High much better than MSX2! It was in Deluxe Paint
The people were amazed when the presentation man selects Tutankhamun mouth with select tool and with some mouse Clicks he make the lips looks like he is Happy! Here I take some paper adverts for Amiga and after 2 months I buy Amiga500 and not MSX2
Old 01 September 2020, 20:14   #49
DamienD
Banned

Very interesting to hear how Amiga was shown / marketed in places like Kuwait, Brazil, Japan etc...

Cheers Sona
Old 06 July 2021, 01:02   #50
Spriteer

I had been reading all about home computers that I could find in magazines when I was a kid. I very well knew what Amiga 500 was like before it became available. Im not sure, was it -87 or -88 when a friend of mine got one. I was so amazed by it. Games loaded so fast from floppies compared to cassette tapes and game quality was unbelievable! It had a mouse. It truly was wondrous.
Old 09 July 2021, 20:25   #51
NorthWay

I remember reading in Commodore User in summer of 85(?) about this amazing new computer shown at (I think) CES that could do cartoon quality animation. Somehow I knew there and then that I wanted one.
Old 09 July 2021, 22:11   #52
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i remember seeing Amigas on display in computer shops around 1987, and they were all just showing the Kickstart Hand Holding Disk Picture which didn't really do anything, and was confused why i couldn't just type in Basic on it like on all the other computers.
Old 09 July 2021, 22:33   #53
Viceroy

Seeing my mates Christmas present for his kids and showing me the intro to Shadow of the beast II. I had to have one!
Old 09 July 2021, 22:54   #54
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
My friends Dad had an Amiga, he had just got a demo called Elgato which showed a digitised cat walking on a rotating sign. Not sure what year that was though.
Old 09 July 2021, 23:21   #55
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
My friends Dad had an Amiga, he had just got a demo called Elgato which showed a digitised cat walking on a rotating sign. Not sure what year that was though.
Gimby fires the nostalgia spell at DDNI!

[ Show youtube player ]

It's super effective!

Kind of cute that it has a Spanish name. Amiga, Elgato... should have been a trend.
Old 12 July 2021, 18:03   #56
mrsebe

Computer store at the basement level of a tiny shopping centre in Koszalin that was selling mostly used PC parts. They also offered an Amiga 1200 but I needed a replacement hard drive quickly and didn't have any more money. It was around 2003. They closed down a few months later. Now you need to pay at least 5 times more.
Old 25 October 2022, 10:32   #57
Keatah

Remember reading about it in 1984, on an Apple II BBS, via text file. The days when Text Files where hot items. Read that it had super graphics and could draw more colors and pixels faster than any other computer. So I got interested in it.

Picked up a copy of AmigaWorld and finally realized it would soon be a real computer. Got an A1000 as soon as it was available.
Old 25 October 2022, 16:43   #58
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

I recall about 91/92 a few buddies of mine started getting these large cream coloured computers, with games such as Menace, New Zealand Story and... Karate Kid 2... sorry, but once I saw that Ice Breaking sub game, I was SOLD for the next few years, it was so freaking cool. Around Xmas 92 I did get one and had to give up a birthday in order to fund it (it was only Sept to be fair), alas I 'upgraded' to the 500+ (BIG MISTAKE). Then all of a sudden we got one in the Art department n High School with DP2, suffice to say it got hammered every lunchtime with SOTB and Stunt Car Racer. I used to love buying demo discs from Crazy Joe's and bringing them 50% was to show off and impress, 50% was to pretend I had one.
Old 26 October 2022, 13:05   #59
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

loving reading these by the way... ahhh nostalgia, 10x more addictive than DRUGS!
Old 26 October 2022, 14:48   #60
acidbottle

Was probably, like many, through reading about them and seeing screenshots in magazines around 1988-89. I even bought various issues of The One and Amiga Format before I even owned one, which was Xmas 1989!

The first disk I loaded up was either New Zealand Story or Xenon II demos.