English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 14 April 2021, 16:08   #1
rsn8887

How to make WHDLoad update slaves?

When I click update slave on WHDLoad, it gives me a requester to go to the webpage and update the slave manually.

Is it possible to have WHDLoad automatically download the latest slave, un-lha it and install it for me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHD Update_1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	71587   Click image for larger version

Name:	WHD Update_2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	71588  

Last edited by rsn8887; 14 April 2021 at 16:17.
Old 14 April 2021, 17:00   #2
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

It's doable, but I don't think that WHDLoad actually has that functionality in it. Some slaves have issues with regard to the WHDLoad site, too (either by not being listed or being configured in a way that the wrong page on the site gets opened).

I'd love to see a tool that would actually go through all my WHDLoad slave installs and automatically update any that are out of date, if this first step of automatic updating for individual ones happen.
Old 14 April 2021, 17:46   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

I have a python script that compares slaves and updates them. But it's not that easy as some lha archives may contain several slaves and you don't want to update the wrong one.

I'l relying on the game name & memory config as contained in the .slave header. Of course if memory reqs change then update fails.

Also sometimes game needs reinstalling (diskfiles => files). Then updating the slave breaks your installation.
Old 14 April 2021, 22:25   #4
mrv2k

I've written a program that does it for winuae. Its a stupidly complex process. Here's what it does...

1 The program connects to the EAB FTP and downloads Retroplays dat files.
2. It processes the dat files and compares the data to the files stored on MY PC drive.
3. If a file is new, it downloads it or if its not needed, it deletes it.
4. The program then scans all the WHDLoad archives and gets the dates of all the slaves and stores them.
5. It then fires up a custom WinUAE config that uses the AmigaDOS LIST command to spit out a text file with the dates of the slave files on my Amiga drive image to a shared drive.
6. It processes the file and compares the dates with the archive data. If the dates are different it adds them to a list.
7. The program will then generate a script, copy all the needed files to the shared folder and then updated the Amiga drive.
8. Finally it will add an updated games list to IGame.

Youll never know the headaches I had getting it to work . It still has the odd glitch. But I'm always up to date.