English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 29 March 2023, 00:59   #1
sokolovic

Castles II floppy version

I don't know if it was said before or if it deserve an entry on HOL as unreleased but there was a floppy version of Castles II that was reviewed back in late 1993.

This version had the particularity to contain both ECS and AGA version on 9 floppies.

More info here : https://www.amigareviews.leveluphost.com/castles2.htm

I'll add that the CD32 review of the same game in the One from feb 1994 mention an HD only floppy version but cannot tell if it will be released or not.

Last edited by sokolovic; 29 March 2023 at 08:31.
Old 29 March 2023, 07:40   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Interesting. There's also another review by Amiga Power from September 1993 which seems to be for this floppy version. Seems like disk version was supposed to be released in late 1993, got cancelled and the CD32 version was released in early 1994.

I'll add a note for sure and will ask if we add unreleased entries for the floppy versions.
Old 29 March 2023, 08:28   #3
sokolovic

Found this thread refferering to a TOSEC entry for a Castles 2 floppy version : https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67938
(Eab search wasn't working on my phone so sorry for the double thread).
An HD only floppy version wouldn't have been surprising considering that last Interplay releases on the Amiga we're HD only. Could be interesting to check if this version is dual ECS/AGA as said in a review.
Old 29 March 2023, 09:29   #4
Amigajay

There is a 8 disk HD floppy version on the FTP, says version 0.15 could be an early review version before it got binned (unless its a crack of the CD32 version), or if it did get released its surprising mega rare esp for a 1993 release, seems strange not a single copy has been seen, more likely the former especially as other Interplay 1993 games got canned i.e Buzz Aldrin.

That review says Almathera were the developers (porters) maybe this was the reason why it got moved on the CD32 as they were the leaders of CD authoring at the time and already had dozens of CDTV/CD32 projects completed/on the go.
Old 29 March 2023, 09:32   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
There is a 8 disk HD floppy version on the FTP, says version 0.15 could be an early review version before it got binned (unless its a crack of the CD32 version)
Since the earliest reviews were for a disk version it might well be that leaked press release. It's really hard to tell without any other source than two reviews and a 8 disk TOSEC set though.