English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 September 2021, 06:42   #21
BSzili
old chunk of coal

The readme has got you covered, I added emphasis:
Quote:
Blood Fresh Supply on GOG comes with the One Whole Unit Blood compilation as a downloadable bonus, which contains the latest version of the game data.
Sorry about this mess, but Atari removed One Whole Unit Blood from Steam and GOG, so this is the only legal way to get the original Blood
Old 23 September 2021, 10:49   #22
rabidgerry

I got it installed last night! It runs great I have to say. I like the atmosphere a lot. I decided to keep it on the default difficulty setting and boy it's hard! I like the controls for this one using the CD32 lay out (on ps1 pad).

@BSzili is it the same buttons mapped as Shadow Warrior? I can't remember now, to me it feels as though run/jump combo in one button wasn't present before with Shadow Warrior. It could be that it was and I just have "always run" mode switched on.

Also pardon my stupid question, if I increase the screen res it will slow down performance for me right?

What about if I add the music? I haven't done that yet.

I'm going to really enjoy playing this game so thanks so much for converting it to run on Amiga your work is very much appreciated.
Old 23 September 2021, 12:16   #23
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
You might want to ask the AROS devs about this compatibility issue.
I reported the problem on ae.amigalife.org, anyway replacing the library with the OS3 one Blood works perfectly on AROS 68k, I attach video of Blood + Audio tracks on AROS One 68k:

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Also don't forget to copy all the files for Cryptic Passage listed in the readme, otherwise you will get missing and broken textures as you can see at the beginning of the video
The files listed in the readme needed for Cryptic are present on my Blood

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 23 September 2021 at 12:25.
Old 23 September 2021, 18:06   #24
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I got it installed last night! It runs great I have to say. I like the atmosphere a lot. I decided to keep it on the default difficulty setting and boy it's hard! I like the controls for this one using the CD32 lay out (on ps1 pad).

@BSzili is it the same buttons mapped as Shadow Warrior? I can't remember now, to me it feels as though run/jump combo in one button wasn't present before with Shadow Warrior. It could be that it was and I just have "always run" mode switched on.

Also pardon my stupid question, if I increase the screen res it will slow down performance for me right?

What about if I add the music? I haven't done that yet.

I'm going to really enjoy playing this game so thanks so much for converting it to run on Amiga your work is very much appreciated.
That's great to hear, have fun!

For the "Classic" joystick preset I used the SW's button mapping as a start, but I had to modify a couple of things to accommodate Blood's alternate fire function. If in doubt, you can always check "Options / Controls ... / Joystick" to see which button does what and change them if necessary. As for the always run key I'll have to check that, it's possible that it doesn't affect joystick input at all.

Using higher resolutions will impact the performance, so I recommend sticking to 320x200, especially for native modes. The WAV tracks and CAMD MIDI have a small performance hit. Playing the music from the CD is essentially free, but not many people have that option (CD drive + analog audio output). I plan to add mpeg.device / MHI support for fast MP3 playback later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I reported the problem on ae.amigalife.org, anyway replacing the library with the OS3 one Blood works perfectly on AROS 68k, I attach video of Blood + Audio tracks on AROS One 68k:

[ Show youtube player ]

The files listed in the readme needed for Cryptic are present on my Blood
That's very unusual, I've never seen Cryptic Passage distributed without its textures. I'll add some error messages to the cryptic scripts if the AR_ files are missing.
Old 23 September 2021, 23:37   #25
rabidgerry

Fantastic music, added the midi music this evening and it's great so far!

I am enjoying playing this game a lot, but I do wonder, am I getting less FPS than any other users? I turned frame rate on also to see what I was getting and it fluctuates quite a bit from 10 to 17, stabilizing at times at about 14-15 FPS.

I also messed with the detail slider and I actually didn't notice anything when putting that up max and then putting at it's lowest, similar performance and I didn't noticed anything graphically.
Old 24 September 2021, 07:03   #26
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Fantastic music, added the midi music this evening and it's great so far!

I am enjoying playing this game a lot, but I do wonder, am I getting less FPS than any other users? I turned frame rate on also to see what I was getting and it fluctuates quite a bit from 10 to 17, stabilizing at times at about 14-15 FPS.

I also messed with the detail slider and I actually didn't notice anything when putting that up max and then putting at it's lowest, similar performance and I didn't noticed anything graphically.
I have about 15 fps on average, with classic accelerators this is about what people usually get, while the Warp eats the game for breakfast

The detail slider adjusts the number and type of particle effects visible on the screen.
Old 24 September 2021, 08:59   #27
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

That's very unusual, I've never seen Cryptic Passage distributed without its textures. I'll add some error messages to the cryptic scripts if the AR_ files are missing.

Don't BSzili, don't worry I created this unusual way of the textures unintentionally.
In practice to eliminate the window that shows the loaded data I added the >NIL: in front of the command, this probably made the command work partially, sorry for this

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 24 September 2021 at 09:09.
Old 24 September 2021, 10:48   #28
rabidgerry

Quote:
I have about 15 fps on average, with classic accelerators this is about what people usually get, while the Warp eats the game for breakfast

The detail slider adjusts the number and type of particle effects visible on the screen.
What accelerator are you using yourself?

Ok I can live with that, it's certainly playable I have to say. When you say "warp" do you mean Warp 1260?

I think I will keep that slider low then, just in case.

BTW would increased mb/s have any benefit on performance?
Old 24 September 2021, 10:49   #29
AMIGASYSTEM

I recreated the videos with the complete textures, now the game is heavier for emulation on my old DualCore.

Every cloud has a silver lining, the idea of reducing textures could be useful for less powerful Amigas.

AROS One 68k: Blood - Cryptic Passage
[ Show youtube player ]

AfA OneOne: Blood - Cryptic Passage
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 24 September 2021 at 11:06.
Old 24 September 2021, 18:05   #30
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
What accelerator are you using yourself?

Ok I can live with that, it's certainly playable I have to say. When you say "warp" do you mean Warp 1260?

I think I will keep that slider low then, just in case.

BTW would increased mb/s have any benefit on performance?
I have an old Apollo 1260 @ 80MHz with 32MB RAM. By Warp I meant the Warp 1260 and Warp 560. Both of these cards have very fast memory, and overclock really well.
For the detail slider I recommend to set it one notch above the lowest setting. That one enables just enough effects to make the game look nice without being too excessive during combat. The lowest setting makes the game too barren in my opinion.

What do you mean by MB/s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I recreated the videos with the complete textures, now the game is heavier for emulation on my old DualCore.

Every cloud has a silver lining, the idea of reducing textures could be useful for less powerful Amigas.

AROS One 68k: Blood - Cryptic Passage
[ Show youtube player ]

AfA OneOne: Blood - Cryptic Passage
[ Show youtube player ]
Cryptic Passage's textures don't make a difference in the performance, as removing ART files doesn't "reduce the textures", it just makes the surfaces appear with the wrong texture. Compare the boats at the beginning of CP's first level, and you'll see what I mean. To improve the performance you can lower the game's resolution, which actually has a significant impact on the game's speed.
Old 24 September 2021, 18:15   #31
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes I had guessed that, I just noticed the slowdown only on AROS 68k where before it was faster (just watch the new video), probably because on WinUAE the Graphics Card for AROS 68k is not as fluid as that of OS3, of course it will be due to the AROS Drivers.
Old 24 September 2021, 18:24   #32
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Yes, there's probably some other factor at play here. It's possible that the AROS driver can't push pixels as fast as OS 3.x, which will make screen updates slower. I also see a lot of screen tearing with AROS, so it's hard to compare.
Old 25 September 2021, 16:40   #33
rabidgerry

Quote:
I have an old Apollo 1260 @ 80MHz with 32MB RAM. By Warp I meant the Warp 1260 and Warp 560. Both of these cards have very fast memory, and overclock really well.
For the detail slider I recommend to set it one notch above the lowest setting. That one enables just enough effects to make the game look nice without being too excessive during combat. The lowest setting makes the game too barren in my opinion.

What do you mean by MB/s?
We have the same accelerator then only I've some more ram.

Anyways what I mean by mb/s is megabytes per second transfer rate. See I have a FastATA I want to try out and I just wondered would it have any effect on performance of the game. Perhaps just loading times may be but not actual gameplay?
Old 25 September 2021, 17:36   #34
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Ah, you meant the disk speed. It will reduce the loading times, but won't make the game run faster in most cases, as I preload as much data as possible to avoid disk accesses during gameplay.
Old 12 October 2021, 06:51   #35
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Version 1.1 is now live on Aminet. There are many bugfixes under the hood, but the most important ones are probably the improved CAMD MIDI compatibility, and MP3 music support via MHI. If you have a music card like the MAS Player / Prisma Megamix, or a sound card with a DSP or MP3 decoder chip now you can have high quality music without a significant CPU impact. The details and pre-converted music packs are in the Aminet readme. Links in the first post.
Old 12 October 2021, 18:00   #36
vulture

Heya BSzili,

Thank you so much for the new v1.1 with Midi support ;-)

I have something strange occur though...

I took my old .HDF, which had sound effects set as AHI and the .WAV file replacements. I then did the following:

a) Deleted all ".WAV" files from my "Blood" folder.
b) Copied "camd.library" to "DH0:Libs".
c) Copied in the new "nblood060" file to my "Blood" folder.
d) Launched WinUAE, set Midi and started the game.

All worked perfectly ;-)

I then re-created the .HDF from scratch; as I always do. The process is exactly the same as before, plus with the above.

Now no matter what I do; I cannot get Midi to work like it did previously.

I've rechecked things and even recreated the .HDF again but no joy ;-(
Old 12 October 2021, 18:33   #37
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I'm glad the new version solved the problem for you! Who would have thought most synths go belly up if you tell them to change banks, but my cheap Chinese one won't. Maybe it ignores those messages altogether.

Anyway, in cases like this the CLI window output can help a lot, but if you can't save it nblood.log will do as well. Seeing your nblood.cfg would also be very useful.
Old 12 October 2021, 20:08   #38
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Yay! Confirmed now working on my SC-55 MKII :-D
Old 12 October 2021, 20:40   #39
vulture

@BSzill

Here's the file attached, btw, forgot to mention, that message was from DamienD who tested the new version. Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: zip NBlood - CFG & LOG.zip (2.7 KB, 92 views)
Old 12 October 2021, 20:47   #40
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
@BSzill

Here's the file attached, btw, forgot to mention, that message was from DamienD who tested the new version. Cheers!
Thought MusicDevice should be 0 for MIDI?