English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 20 July 2008, 13:53   #1
Ford Grunt

Cannon Fodder 1 & 2 - both game wont start past title screen?

Hey people,

Thought I ask those in the know. I but can't get Cannon Fodder 1 or 2 to start using WinUAE?

I've also tried downloading different cracked versions (Crystal & Fairlight) & from different websites and still the same problem?

Both games reset from the title screen and loops back to the cracker's details at start.

I've also tried using different versions of WinUAE being an older one version 1.3.4 (2006.12.30) and the latest 1.5.0 (2008.06.19) and still does same thing.

Settings I am using are the standard setup A500/A2000 1.3 ROM,OCS,512 KB Chip + 512 KB Slow Ram.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 20 July 2008, 14:48   #2
Graham Humphrey

Have you tried using 1MB Chip RAM?
Old 20 July 2008, 22:04   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Just tried the Crystal cracked version of CF1 (the one with the little bunny rabbit) and it worked ok. I used the default A500 setup.

Edit: Tried a Paradox cracked CF2 and it works

Last edited by Arnie; 20 July 2008 at 22:11.
Old 20 July 2008, 22:07   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Using 1MB Chip RAM does the trick, it's weird however because I remember playing the game on my 512k/512k A500 back in the day.

Edit: might be emulator related problem?
Edit2: Arnie, which version of WinUAE did you use?
Old 21 July 2008, 18:04   #5
Ford Grunt

Thanks everyone for your help. 1 MB Chip RAM done the trick on both games and all versions.

Not entirely 100% but:

I found, Cannon Fodder 2 loads, plays, sounds, saves & restores perfectly (save disk was downloaded recently from Back 2 Roots)

However, wish I could say the same for Cannon Fodder 1. While it loads and plays it seems to have big issues with saving (note suprised after seeing how many threads on this topic). Save disk was also downloaded from Back 2 Roots recently.

Found the following with the following cracked version:

Fairlight: Loads, plays, sounds perfect but will not save.

Crystal: Loads, plays & sounds ok ignoring the annoying flashing blue (according to the cracker this is suppost to be there) between game screens - but again won't save.

Both version seems at least to have a go at saving but wont move past "Insert Game Save Disk" this is even with one the save disk being the only disk in any of the drives. Further, if it happens to fluke a save it won't return to the title screen or let you restore it anyway.

EDIT: I finally worked out that the Back 2 Roots Save Disk appears to be faulty for Cannon Fodder 1 (after ages of fidingly on both the Crystal & Fairlight versions).

To get around problem I created a custom save disk and formatting it within the save area - as suggested by Steve (thankyou Steve) in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=355218&postcount=43

Thing was that the Fairlight version would crash everytime I would attempt to make one (ie. red box of death System Failure) but could create it under the Crystal version - but then get this the new formated savedisk would crash when used in the Crystal version but works fine in the Fairlight version (which is better anyway because no flashing blue screens as discussed above). Go figure?

Anyways it all seems to have worked out (after spending about 3 hours playing around with it).

/me think I will make a few backups of the savedisk now

Cheers,
FG
Old 21 July 2008, 18:42   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Using 1MB Chip RAM does the trick, it's weird however because I remember playing the game on my 512k/512k A500 back in the day.

Edit: might be emulator related problem?
Edit2: Arnie, which version of WinUAE did you use?
Latest 1.5 version.

@ford grunt: Have you tried any ipf versions?.
Old 22 July 2008, 09:41   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@Fort Grunt
When using WinUAE you should save your games via savestates in the 'Misc' section of WinUAE. Savedisks are useful if you want to transfer your games between WinUAE and real Amigas, but if you just use WinUAE savestates should work way better than the real savedisk
Old 22 July 2008, 14:54   #8
hoborg

Send a message via ICQ to hoborg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Grunt View Post
Hey people,

Thought I ask those in the know. I but can't get Cannon Fodder 1 or 2 to start using WinUAE?

I've also tried downloading different cracked versions (Crystal & Fairlight) & from different websites and still the same problem?

Both games reset from the title screen and loops back to the cracker's details at start.

I've also tried using different versions of WinUAE being an older one version 1.3.4 (2006.12.30) and the latest 1.5.0 (2008.06.19) and still does same thing.

Settings I am using are the standard setup A500/A2000 1.3 ROM,OCS,512 KB Chip + 512 KB Slow Ram.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.
Perhaps this can help you?
Old 22 July 2008, 17:55   #9
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoborg View Post
Perhaps this can help you?
Only if you understand the language
Old 23 July 2008, 11:13   #10
hoborg

Send a message via ICQ to hoborg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Only if you understand the language
Look carefully, it is in english too
Old 23 July 2008, 11:33   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

And as usual, the most important piece is missing: ADF IDENTICATION. At least CRC32 required.

(anyway, I'd expect it to be crack issue)
Old 23 July 2008, 11:48   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Toni: Most probably it is. However, FLT and CSL version behave exactly identical, i.e. both work fine with 1MB Chip on UAE. Maybe my memory is hazy and the game did need 1MB chip? I will try this evening on my A500.
Old 23 July 2008, 11:57   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Cannon Fodder on my real A500 crashes while formatting save disk if 0.5M+0.5M. 1M chip works. (tested long time ago, don't remember which version. Posted somewhere on eab..)
Old 23 July 2008, 12:02   #14
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I remember those problems with the save disk too. But the cracked versions of the game I tested don't even boot correctly with 512k Chip on UAE (after title screen -> crash). I'll check if that happens on my 512k/512k Amiga too. More info this evening.
Old 23 July 2008, 15:01   #15
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
@Fort Grunt
When using WinUAE you should save your games via savestates in the 'Misc' section of WinUAE. Savedisks are useful if you want to transfer your games between WinUAE and real Amigas, but if you just use WinUAE savestates should work way better than the real savedisk
Save states will get corrupted with this game. The best is to use both, save disk and save state, so that you can easy restart the game if save state fails. (I used to have more then one save state, which helps as well)

I never had problem creating save state disk on my Amiga, probably because it was A500+
Old 23 July 2008, 15:06   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Save states will get corrupted with this game. The best is to use both, save disk and save state, so that you can easy restart the game if save state fails. (I used to have more then one save state, which helps as well)
Does this happen in the later levels only? I think I created some savestates and will check if they still work when I'm back home
Old 23 July 2008, 16:05   #17
Ford Grunt

@ Arnie - no haven't tried an ipf version.

Your question brings me to a question, what emulator is best suited to playing ipf files?

(WinUAE is only ADF as far as I know).

I have been considering of parting with some dough and buying the Amiga Forever emulator.

@TheCyberDruid - I have wondered how the savestates actually works, being fairly new to using WinUAE and emulation in general so, so far have only used save disks.

IMO almost everything I have learnt so far on WinUAE has been via trial and error.

@hoborg thanks for that link

Thanks all for the help - would have been a tragedy if I couldn't have got this real Amiga classic playing & saving.

Cheers,
FG
Old 23 July 2008, 16:06   #18
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
@ Arnie - no haven't tried an ipf version.

Your question brings me to a question, what emulator is best suited to playing ipf files?

(WinUAE is only ADF as far as I know).
WinUAE handles IPF's perfectly! You just need CAPSimg.dll.
Old 23 July 2008, 16:10   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
@TheCyberDruid - I have wondered how the savestates actually works, being fairly new to using WinUAE and emulation in general so, so far have only used save disks.

IMO almost everything I have learnt so far on WinUAE has been via trial and error.
Okay I'll give you a short introduction to savestate files when I'm back from work (in about one and a half hour). You'll see they are really easy to use and save a lot of hassle (if they work (which they do most of the time )).
Old 23 July 2008, 16:37   #20
Anubis
Retro Gamer

And while he is reinventing the wheel, you can use paul's (RIP) great guide to learn more about WinUAE.

BTW, giving money for Amiga Forever you will not get anything special except legal right to have amiga roms. They are using WinUAE (older version if I remember correctly).

WinUAE is the best Amiga emu and just as TCD mentioned it works with IPF files just fine with required DLL.

@ TCD - Later in the game, I think 19th level of the first game I got into situation that I could not get pass finish screen. I haven't play this since then, it would take me some time to find my save states (not sure if they would be compatible as they are quite old) and save disks. I was using SPS version of the game.