English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 31 January 2012, 18:38   #501
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Oh wow, that sounds like a much better solution. Top scorers only. Do you think if you'd implemented this last year, the Lemoners wouldn've won more games? - technically? Or even the whole season?? (grasping fingers clawing desperately at the fickle door of failure)
Old 31 January 2012, 18:58   #502
Graham Humphrey

I've no idea - maybe at some point I'll do some quick maths and work out what the difference would have been as that's quite an interesting question.
Old 31 January 2012, 21:59   #503
mihcael
Zone Friend

I tried to work it out and got exactly the same score, 12-5. (maybe i stuffed up?)
Old 31 January 2012, 22:02   #504
Graham Humphrey

I did the first ten games and got 8-2 instead of 7-3 so I suspect you're probably right anyway.
Old 17 February 2012, 16:52   #505
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Annd... another question.

Do you think it would be a fun idea to add four themed rounds to the compo? I was thinking Shoot-em-ups, Platformers, Driving Games (includes things like Hydra and Powerboat sim) and Puzzlers (like Jumping Jackson, Volfied)?

They could appear every 3 rounds or so, but as I say, only four per season.

I know this would cut down the number of free voting rounds though.

Just an idea.
Old 18 February 2012, 09:04   #506
mailman
Zone Friend

There are four open rounds. If one or two of them had been replaced by theme round, I wouldn't see much problem.
Old 18 February 2012, 14:49   #507
Graham Humphrey

Sorry for the late reply, I've had a couple of technical issues.

I think it could be a good idea but we're kinda running out of space for this sort of thing - we've already got three special rounds and four open rounds and I'm not particularly keen on losing any of them at the minute.
Old 18 October 2012, 09:02   #508
Graham Humphrey

Time to bump this long-dormant thread with some info about It's a Knockout 2012/13. For those who have never entered, it's a tournament played at the end of the League season in which people get - yes - knocked out over a number of rounds (shorter than normal) until we only have one player standing, otherwise known as the winner. Here's this year's schedule:

Nov 11 - Nov 24: Voting
Dec 02 - Dec 15: Qualifying Round
(12+ plyrs) Dec 16 - Dec 29: Round One
(12+ plyrs) Dec 30 - Jan 05: Quarter Finals
(12+ plyrs) Jan 06 - Jan 12: Semi Finals
(12+ plyrs) Jan 13 - Jan 19: The Final and 3rd place Play-off
(8 plyrs) Dec 16 - Dec 29: Quarter Finals
(8 plyrs) Jan 30 - Jan 05: Semi Finals
(8 plyrs) Jan 06 - Jan 12: The Final and 3rd place Play-off

Jan 06: 2013 Super League Voting starts (or Dec 30 if only 8 players compete)

Any questions, post 'em here...
Old 02 December 2012, 11:46   #509
Graham Humphrey

Well, the Super League season is now over for another year and the Hall of Fame has been updated accordingly. You can all check out the medal totals over the past five years for yourselves, but there's a good spread of players in these lists which is great.

Also, Biscuit investigated a bit further and posted the following on Lemon (I'll copy and paste it in its original, unedited form - excellent work!)

(Actually I'd like to add my own - a big well done to mailman who, over the course of five years and 81 games, has taken part in every single round to date - the only player to do so. Respect certainly due.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit on Lemon Amiga
The Hall of Fame has been updated with the complete info from the 2012 season. It's been a lot of fun. To wrap things up here are a few notes on players achievements.

First of all a big congratulations to premmisseth for winning the championship with a solid score in one of the closest fought seasons so far.

Lifeschool won the most gold medals with a total of 4.
Premmisseth won the most medals overall with 8 podium finishes (3 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze).
Lifeschool did the double in Round 4 by winning Alien Bash 2 and Cybernetix.
Biscuit did the double in Round 8 by winning Dyna Blaster and R-Type II.
The highest scorer without a medal is madot with 30 points in 15th place. This is the lowest to date so the medals are getting shared out well.
Best cameo performance goes to rexsu for turning up for one round (Silk Worm), taking a gold, then disappearing again.
The nail biting finish award goes to lifeschool for matching Harry's championship points in the final round but taking third place on gold medals won.

All of the top 12 finishing players have scored points in previous years. 7 of them have made personal bests this year. Premmisseth, Lonewolf10, ChrisN82, LinesMachine and TurricanX all scored their highest points and best finishing positions. Biscuit and Harry scored their highest points but could only equal their best finishing positions.

There's been a massive swing in favour of the Lemon team this year. Lemons top scorers consistently outdid EAB to a smashing 16 - 1 victory. It's also an all Lemon finish on the championship podium. And it's the first time in 5 years that john4p has not been on the championship podium (has he been seeing that TurboGrafx-16 behind our back again?!).

A couple of notes about the League itself. Round 1 saw the highest turnout ever in the Super League with 24 competitors for James Pond 2: Robocod. A total of 49 people took part throughout the year. We've also had the most scores submitted in any season, that's a tally of how many people posted scores in each round, which means it's been busier than ever.

On that cheery note I'll encourage you all to come back for more miggy goodness in the new year.
Old 06 December 2012, 22:30   #510
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I couldn't agree more with what Biscuit and yourself (Graham) has said. It has been a good year, and although I didn't get the top spot I am still proud of coming 2nd in the Bubble Bobble round

I can't wait for next years Super League.

Edit:

Just checked my stats over the year, and I also came 2nd in the Gem'X round. Not sure how I could forget that!

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 06 December 2012 at 22:39.
Old 08 December 2012, 10:30   #511
Graham Humphrey

Don't forget, people, to take part in the Knockout competition too... I'd really like to see more EAB players in general actually as the number dropped off after the first couple of rounds this year and never really recovered. The more people we have in the Knockout the better and maybe that would then carry over into next season. There's still a week left
Old 12 December 2012, 07:53   #512
blade002
Zone Friend

I am not sure if I am wrong but it's kind of sad when people like myself don't have time during the year to play in the league but when Christmas rolls around and I do have more time I can't enter because it's entered the Knockout stage

Any chance for a separate shitty one game thing during this time of the year for twats like me? .. lol
Old 12 December 2012, 10:58   #513
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Any chance for a separate shitty one game thing during this time of the year for twats like me? .. lol
You still have 4 days to qualify for the knockout comp, a modest score is all that's required.

And depending on the number of lemon people left in the knockout as it progresses i normally run a little comp with some of the not so common games during the break before the next super comp.
Old 05 January 2013, 10:37   #514
Graham Humphrey

Just a reminder that the voting for the first round of the new League season gets underway tomorrow. I have also put up the schedule for 2013 in the Rules and FAQ thread, although it's not really any different to the last one