English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 August 2021, 17:26   #1
turrican9

List of floppy game that has been fixed to work with 1MB chip instead of slow RAM

So is there any links to game ADFs that required RAM at C00000 (slow RAM) but has been fixed to work with 1MB chip RAM?

I know from some google searches that some games have been updated. So where can I find these?
Old 05 August 2021, 22:13   #2
redblade
Zone Friend

Most commercial games released after the A500+/A600 (Definitely after the A600) the programmer would have fixed their system test/boot up code for 1MB RAM.
Old 06 August 2021, 09:48   #3
turrican9

I found several ADFs in the zone that were fixed for 1MB chip. Like Beach Volley, Commando and Aaargh!.

Street Rod and Ghost'n'Goblins are two games I know of that looks for slow RAM at C00000. Would be nice if someone would fix these to work with no slow RAM and 1MB chip aswell.

With that said, I have many whdload setups and regular A500s with slow RAM. And even the ACA 500 Plus which can set slow RAM on an ECS machine so no problems in that regard.
Old 07 August 2021, 14:03   #4
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
My ECS Amiga 500 is equipped with 1 MB chip and I have no problem loading and playing Beach Volley, Commando, same with Ghosts 'n Goblins from my Gotek. Maybe ross intentions were to fix those games you mention for later models, not too sure. Having said that, unless I missed something, not having slow RAM under the hood isn't an issue as far as those games are concerned.
Old 07 August 2021, 14:56   #5
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
My ECS Amiga 500 is equipped with 1 MB chip and I have no problem loading and playing Beach Volley, Commando, same with Ghosts 'n Goblins from my Gotek. Maybe ross intentions were to fix those games you mention for later models, not too sure. Having said that, unless I missed something, not having slow RAM under the hood isn't an issue as far as those games are concerned.
Did you try Street Rod?

Tested a bit with WinUAE 1MB chip and Kick 1.3 and found versions of Ghost'n'goblins ADF working with 1MB chip and no slow ram. Yet to find a version of street rod that will work with no slow.

Last edited by turrican9; 07 August 2021 at 17:00.
Old 08 August 2021, 10:27   #6
SquawkBox

Indeed, with 1 MB chip, the game fails to load after the copy protection check. Had to use the switch at the back of my machine to disable the additional ram in order to make it work.

If you want another example of that : Wayne Gretzky Hockey (was fixed by the developers upon WGH II release). Having said that, that's my understanding that none of these games require additional ram, nor benefit from additional features. So I guess any slow ram ought to be ignored.

So, to sum it up, nice find, it appears floppy versions of Street Rod cannot handle 1 MB chip...
but nope, one shouldn't assume it won't work with no slow since it doesn't require it.
Old 08 August 2021, 11:48   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

But apparently the game does detect it. I wonder what it does with the extra memory.
Old 08 August 2021, 12:32   #8
SquawkBox

It's mentioned in the Non AGA games that utilize extra memory thread :
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Street Rod - Min requirement 512KB. Users with 1MB RAM, reduce loading times/gameplay speed increased. 2MB of Fast RAM allows entire game to be stored in memory. *CONFIRMED
My guess is PZK didn't bother experimenting and debugging the "feature" on Amiga's other than on A500 with trap door expansion type.
Old 08 August 2021, 14:48   #9
turrican9

Maybe someone could fix street rod for 1mb chip and upload it to the zone?
Old 08 August 2021, 15:52   #10
SquawkBox

Following this logic, why not offer to fix it for any configuration > 0.5 MB chip, 1 MB, but also 2 MB. It shouldn't pose such an increased challenge to the applicant.

At this juncture, thought I would give a try to Aaargh!. My machine would load the ASF version, none of the others though (not related to > 0.5 MB chip mem occurrence). So, no fixing required for this rather weak title.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 08 August 2021 at 16:58.
Old 08 August 2021, 23:31   #11
ross
Defendit numerus

Street Rod fixed into the Zone!
I simply added my 'beach bootblock'.

Anyway I've updated the bootblock to v3 [street version].
Changes:
- leaves active extra floppy drives (of course consume a bit of chip-ram)
- support also machine with KS1.3 and ECS 1MB Agnus*
- more [fake]fast-ram available to games (seems Street Rod use it as a cache, so the more the better; before was 768+256KB**, now 512+512KB)

Obviously if you have 2MB of chip-ram the extra megabyte is used, and as well if you also have real or ranger fast-ram and with higher priority.

EDIT:
* stupid KS1.3 destroy reset-proof programs if you have 1MB chip-ram
The previous version was born mainly for A500+ or higher (so KS1.3/1MBc was not a concern), now it is more generic

** this was chosen because often what was simply required was free chip-ram at low locations (KS2.0+ use more of it at boot), so very little fast-ram was enough
Actually the boot-block also contains my 'addchip' which frees up low memory by allocating only a bitplane for CLI, so maybe 512+512KB also works for other games
If it wasn't, use v2
Attached Files
File Type: 68k beach.bootblock_v3.68k (1.0 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by ross; 09 August 2021 at 00:18.
Old 09 August 2021, 00:01   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thanks ross
Old 09 August 2021, 12:09   #13
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
The previous version was born mainly for A500+ or higher (so KS1.3/1MBc was not a concern), now it is more generic
Setpatch r fixes this for RAD:, maybe you can rip out the code from setpatch. :-)

https://issuu.com/ivanguidomartucci/...re---ebook-eng page 56-57 of the issuu. :-)
Old 09 August 2021, 13:49   #14
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Setpatch r fixes this for RAD:, maybe you can rip out the code from setpatch. :-)
Yep, I had thought about disassembling setpatch and using its routine, then instead I opted to disassemble exec and look directly at what is wrong.
My patch is brutal but it works
Old 09 August 2021, 14:15   #15
turrican9

Quote:
Street Rod fixed into the Zone!
I simply added my 'beach bootblock'.

Anyway I've updated the bootblock to v3 [street version].
Changes:
- leaves active extra floppy drives (of course consume a bit of chip-ram)
- support also machine with KS1.3 and ECS 1MB Agnus*
- more [fake]fast-ram available to games (seems Street Rod use it as a cache, so the more the better; before was 768+256KB**, now 512+512KB)

Obviously if you have 2MB of chip-ram the extra megabyte is used, and as well if you also have real or ranger fast-ram and with higher priority.

EDIT:

** this was chosen because often what was simply required was free chip-ram at low locations (KS2.0+ use more of it at boot), so very little fast-ram was enough
Actually the boot-block also contains my 'addchip' which frees up low memory by allocating only a bitplane for CLI, so maybe 512+512KB also works for other games
If it wasn't, use v2
Very nice work Just tested it in WinUAE with 1MB chip and kickstart 1.3. Worked perfect. Will test it in one of my kick 1.3 1MB chip A500s aswell. Thanks again
Old 13 August 2021, 01:58   #16
SquawkBox

Confirmed working on my machine when set on 1 MB chip, nice job ross!
Old 13 August 2021, 18:26   #17
ross
Defendit numerus

Wayne Gretzky Hockey into the Zone!

This time it was not possible to use my bootblock because the game is NDOS.
But in any case I managed to reuse a few small things

This game is not trivial to fix because it practically works well only with KS1.x and with 512KB of chip-ram.

Now it works on all configurations I have been able to try, regardless of memory configuration, kickstart or processor.

Thanks to SquawkBox for beta testing it.
Thanks to keirf for a CIA tip and some debugging

Enjoy.
Old 01 September 2021, 22:26   #18
ross
Defendit numerus

Extrial fixed for 1MB chip into the Zone!

There was a request thread somewhere that I no longer find, but in any case it is better not to get too scattered among the threads, this too I believe is a duplicate of a previous one...

I made this version purely because I was experimenting with hunk overlay executables and this game was the ideal candidate.

Previously it was separated into three parts (trainer, intro, game).
It is now a single file that loads dynamically and adapts to the available memory configuration.
Besides it is much smaller and faster, as I used a better (custom) compressor than the original one.

So it can be considered a prototype for similar future situations (the loader is also custom but can be easily adapted).

Enjoy.
Old 02 September 2021, 04:49   #19
SquawkBox

I believe I am the OP of this thread you're evoking :
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=108035
Very glad that you took the time to fulfill my request once more. Your version works as expected from my Gotek . Another case of lazy publisher who probably limited themselves to try their game on a Amiga 500 with 0.5 MB of slow ram, nevermind the fact that it was already 1995 when they released said title!
Old 02 September 2021, 10:41   #20
kremiso

Quote:
...My patch is brutal but it works
i'll say, long life to the brutal patches

thank you also for the Willy Weirdy Nightmare fix, randomly found using the grandis search

i love that game, true Jet Set Willy feeling