English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 17 September 2021, 13:56   #3801
daxb

If so I would completely wipe drives and reset everything possible and maybe check CCC.de ( https://www.ccc.de/de/tags/staatstrojaner ). Then use a security based linux distribution.
Old 17 September 2021, 17:53   #3802
PeterK

No, a safe linux distro also won't help much as long as I don't have a safe internet connection, and they did already disconnect me several times or switched off my telephone connection. Once, they disconnected me right after I logged in at A1k.org, so that they could misuse my account, no big problem here with http at all.

And one day THEY may even wipe all my drives, if I bother them too much. No, we don't have any privacy in this world anymore. Everybody is tracked and spied out at any time.
Old 17 September 2021, 18:05   #3803
daxb

Maybe a free open source router can help to identify problematic internet traffic. Ask the CCC to check your environment/devices/connection.
Old 17 September 2021, 18:13   #3804
PeterK

I'm sure that the traffic goes to Blöd, Naiv, and Doof (BND) or one of the other "Services". The connection is even redirected around my ISP. I've checked that. And now, what can I do against it? Nothing !
Old 17 September 2021, 19:28   #3805
hexaae
Bug hunter

Connecting through a phone card + chinese smartphone made out to a (not spied) friend and used for tethering...?
And use ProtonMail.

Last edited by hexaae; 17 September 2021 at 20:02.
Old 18 September 2021, 18:52   #3806
PeterK

End of 2019 I had a conversation with a nice Amiga user, when I suddenly noticed in December that there was something really strange going on with my emails. I decided to check the directory contents and the settings of my providers WebMail interface and I found some very strange mails there in the spam drawer. They didn't have a sender, nor a subject (header), neither any contents, just totally empty mails. What could be their purpose? Somebody could have checked with these test mails whether it was possible to capture mails successfully before they could get to my provider or to me.

So, I changed my settings in the WebMail interface in order to let it send a forwarded copy of every incoming mail to another email account. And indeed, only for about the half of the incoming emails from my ISP I got the forwarded copies from the other email server, too. Conclusion: somebody had redirected those mails that I received only once around my ISP over other servers. Somebody was spying me or us out, and I wanted to inform my email contact on the other side about it, but how to get a message through the supposed monitoring now? The spy shouldn't find it, but my Amiga friend should be able to read the message without sending a key before. Something like PGP would just be fodder for brute force attacks of the observer to crack it with a lot of machine power, very easy if a plain text attack could decrypt it.

Let's solve the mystery. I've a little riddle or challenge for you now, it's an icon! Yeah, we are finally back to the topic of this thread now!

Part 1) If you like you can find the hidden message in it. That's not so difficult for an Amiga user, but even the most powerful "enigma" machine won't find it if it was not specially programmed to do this job. On a native Amiga you will easily see the message as intended. Btw, greetings to the original receiver. ... of course, our observers found this message too, but probably a little too late, after it was already transmitted to the other side.

Part 2) But it's more a brainteaser to find out where and how it's hidden, and I'm not sure whether these clever guys did already get it. So, some of our coders here may help them a bit ...
Attached Files
File Type: lha MysteryIcon.lha (41.3 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by PeterK; 18 September 2021 at 18:59.
Old 18 September 2021, 22:41   #3807
AMIGASYSTEM

MysteryIcon seems to be a normal PNG image, what kind of message should be in it?
Old 18 September 2021, 23:07   #3808
PeterK

That's your task to find it out, but don't try it with AfA_OS or RTG

... Good luck!
Old 18 September 2021, 23:35   #3809
AMIGASYSTEM

Found, it's a message for EVA

Dear Eva unfortunately. recently .......
Old 19 September 2021, 12:42   #3810
PeterK

Bingo! Yes, that was my reply after I got some XMAS greetings from her in 2019. The last message before our conversation ended.

Some months ago I got an email again, but I'm not sure about the origin, maybe just a fake mail. But I don't know if it makes any sense to stay in contact, even if I wish, because there is no privacy anymore in the internet.
Old 05 October 2021, 15:41   #3811
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.553, 47.-1.553, 51.4.553:

° A temporary workaround for crashes of the OS 3.2 v47 workbench.library when WBupdate was used for deficons. I hope that the OS developers will solve this problem. Attention: I've totally forgotten to close workbench.library after checking it for version 47, but this is only done once and should be no problem, since the WB OpenCount is always higher than 10, which means Expunge() isn't possible anyway. This workaround will be removed after the next OS update.

° A fix for an issue with the WB options "no ColorIcons" in TrueColor mode, where deficons didn't appear at all. There was also a problem with the cache of DefIcons.

° The RLEjit decoding was started accidentally for a few TrueColor icons with one image, showing just a damaged 4-color icon, because RLE is used in ColorIcons only. This bug did only occur in 680x0 mode, not in TrueColor mode.

° Added a potential fix for writing icons successfully, but without setting the io-error code RC2 to zero. It was mentioned in the release-notes for icon.library.

° Allowed Workbench to call ReleasePens() again for the case that this doesn't happen on the active screen. It was a bug-fix to avoid crashes caused by DOpus5 only. This can happen when you delete icons from a directory with a filemanager running on its own screen and the Workbench in the background with windows where these icons are already loaded, and AutoUpdateWB notifies WB to remove the icons and release their used pens then. Now you will get free pens back if that is possible.

Last edited by PeterK; 06 October 2021 at 12:50.
Old 11 October 2021, 15:16   #3812
spoUP

I am running Dopu5 Magellan and AmigaOS 3.2, icon.library 51.4.552 (TC020), and i run c:icondownscaling from user startup and i have tried it from shell as well, but nothing happens.
This is with os4 icons.
Old 11 October 2021, 17:05   #3813
PeterK

Bad luck!

Sorry, but as stated in the IconLib.guide, the scaling functions are no longer supported, except for the 68020 version, which is not working on OS 3.2. The downscaling was implemented very simple, by just removing every 3. pixel and every 3. line from the images. And both scaling functions created only OS 3.5 ColorIcons, not good enough for the TrueColor versions, so I've removed that code. I thought that nobody would try to use it, but I could enable it again with a compiler option, if you really need it.

Btw, the scaling functions are not for the startup-sequence or user-startup. They should not be used permanently, because they would scale the icons again and again. Just call the command once, save the scaled icons and then call the same command again in order to switch the scaling off.
Old 11 October 2021, 21:43   #3814
spoUP

Oh.. i see.
Is there any other way to scale os4 icons?
Any tool or so? I don’t use that many icons i could go through the ones i have..
Old 11 October 2021, 22:11   #3815
PeterK

Yes, there is the tool imageconverter and some scripts made by James:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...imageconverter

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...81#post1474981

Imageconverter can also scale images.
Old 11 October 2021, 23:19   #3816
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP View Post
Oh.. i see.
Is there any other way to scale os4 icons?
Any tool or so? I don’t use that many icons i could go through the ones i have..
You can resize OS4 Icons with a click on Icon Editor but you can only do it on OS 4.1, OS3 version of "Icon Editor" does not support OS4 icons.

There is a trick to modify OS4 Icons on OS3 and make them smaller, basically on OS4 with Icon Editor you have to export of the icon OS4 Images and import them on OS3 version that you will then resize and save in DualPNG, see small video

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Resize-Icons.avi

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 12 October 2021 at 00:02.
Old 23 October 2021, 09:32   #3817
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter I noticed that with your icon.library the executables "without" icon are considered data files, in fact if you tell the system to create an icon this is created as a "project" icon

This happens with all OS3
Old 23 October 2021, 13:09   #3818
PeterK

Which sort of executables are appearing as projects?

I've tried it with commands and libraries, with or without the E bit set, with or without an exe.datatype installed, but they always appeared as tool icons and created a tool icon when saved. So, for which files do you get project icons?

Do you have a binary.datatype installed? Every file that was not detected before could be seen as a binary data file ...

Check with SnoopDos which def_xxx.info files are tried and failed to be loaded.

Last edited by PeterK; 23 October 2021 at 13:59.
Old 23 October 2021, 16:05   #3819
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter I have not used OS or particular Executables, only standard OS.

As you can see in the screenshot I installed OS 3.9 standard "Clean" and after replacing the icon.library OS3.9 with your Icon.library, the libraries as shown in the screenshot is associated with an Icon project.

I redo the test by disabling the WBStartup and even without "DefIcons" the problem remains, the system will always assign icons to executables Project

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 24 January 2022 at 00:58.
Old 23 October 2021, 16:13   #3820
PeterK

Carlo, on your screenshot I can see some "library" icons. So I guess, you have created a datatype descriptor for "#?.library" files and that makes them to data instead of executables.