English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 May 2018, 19:06   #221
Amiga1992

OK I went ahead and did the following tests with that slave.

- Test with regular CD32 controller: blue button activates power up (as expected)
- Test with Sega Mega Drive 6 button pad using robinsonb's CD32 adapter: "blue" button activates power up (as expected)
- Test with Sega Mega Drive 6 button pad connected directly: C button activates power up (as expected)

I don't have a Master System-like pad to test with but the one I was expecting to fail was the test with robinsonb's adapter (which is similar to KTRL) and it didn't fail.

Can anybody else with a KTRL pad test this to see if it's one unit that is the problem or a generalized issue?
Old 16 May 2018, 19:22   #222
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Can somebody please test latest AlienBreed_v2.1_0998 with a KTRL ?
When I walk up to a terminal and press BLUE it enters Intex menu but as soon as I exit it just enters Intex again.

Battle Squadron WHDLoad on the other hand works great on KTRL with the improved CD32 controls.
Aladdin WHDLoad also works flawless with CD32 controls, so my pad seems to be working great.

Last edited by Retroplay; 16 May 2018 at 19:30.
Old 16 May 2018, 21:50   #223
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
@MickGyver
I can't get 2nd button to work in Project-X for weapon select, is this perhaps a known issue or just my "luck" ?
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...1&postcount=46
Quote:
Can somebody please test latest AlienBreed_v2.1_0998 with a KTRL ?
When I walk up to a terminal and press BLUE it enters Intex menu but as soon as I exit it just enters Intex again.

Battle Squadron WHDLoad on the other hand works great on KTRL with the improved CD32 controls.
Aladdin WHDLoad also works flawless with CD32 controls, so my pad seems to be working great.
I'm truly sorry to hear that, somebody else had a similar problem. It seems there is an issue with some games / machines and my gamepad. I have to do some further testing. Might be some issue with the updated design of the the new PCBs (a few components have changed). I will not make any more gamepads until I have this issue solved.

Luckily I haven't sent out too many gamepads yet. I'm looking into this now and will hopefully find the reason soon.

To the ones who has issues with the gamepad, let me know, I will do my best to sort it out! I have put a lot of time and effort into this project so I'm sad to see there are still some issues.

I advise you to wait with using the gamepad until I find the cause of the problem, thanks for your understanding and again, I'm sorry about this.

Last edited by MickGyver; 21 May 2018 at 11:51.
Old 16 May 2018, 22:05   #224
DanyPPC

A good test is to use the Joyporttest tool from aminet:
http://aminet.net/package/driver/input/JoyPortTest

If the joypad works well in lowlevel.library mode then it will work properly with WHDLoad games.
Old 16 May 2018, 22:16   #225
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Shoot, only dpad and red button is detected on my rev 1.D4 A1200 in that program (WB3.1 + lowlevel.library 40.35).
Old 16 May 2018, 22:21   #226
MickGyver

Quote:
Shoot, only dpad and red button is detected on my rev 1.D4 A1200 in that program (WB3.1 + lowlevel.library 40.35).
Please return the gamepad to me, I will send you a PM.

Last edited by MickGyver; 17 May 2018 at 00:34.
Old 17 May 2018, 00:01   #227
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USBASP-USBI.../142664290181?

will this work for reprogramming?
Old 17 May 2018, 00:06   #228
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Yes (needs to be connected with separate dupont wires like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-2-54mm...8AAOSwcB5ZMSaC ). I'm investigating the code now. What I first thought was a bug was actually not. There is one thing I will try. Will do some more troubleshooting. I will get back to you with the updated software.
Old 17 May 2018, 00:31   #229
MickGyver

Quote:
Yes, ProjectX_v1.3_0886.
As I said, no problems using my Wico Command Control.
I also have the same issue with Project-X SE (ProjectXSE_v1.5_0927), no weapon select, instead it toggles bottom status bar and top highscore/lives bar on and off.
I just tested this version of Project X on my A1200 with a KTRL gamepad. Both red and blue buttons work for me so the issue is probably hardware related, something with a problem switching between cd32 mode and two button mode on some Amigas. I will do some further testing...
Old 17 May 2018, 00:32   #230
-Acid-

You could test it on a shareware game called Outfall (F1 Licenceware). On a real CD32 pad no buttons register but the d-pad does for some strange reason. It might like your new pad.
Old 17 May 2018, 08:54   #231
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
You could test it on a shareware game called Outfall (F1 Licenceware). On a real CD32 pad no buttons register but the d-pad does for some strange reason. It might like your new pad.
Thanks for the tip. The dpad works because it is directly wired to pins 1-4 like on a "normal" joystick. The buttons are handled differently. All buttons are shifted out on pin 9 if pin 5 if LOW, if pin 5 is HIGH, the gamepad acts as a two button joystick with red being button 1 (pin 6) and blue being button 2 (pin 9).

I'm thinking that the game might set pin 5 LOW (by mistake) so the gamepad is forced into CD32 mode, while still trying to read the buttons as a normal two button joystick.
Old 17 May 2018, 12:08   #232
Kumimono

Kit received, waiting on bugfixes before assembling. Might need some soldering practice, too....

On a related note, a ten year old chinese knock-off SNES pad seems to have near perfect fit, with three plastic tabs lining up with the three holes on the new PCB perfectly, only the bottom screw mount needing a few microns of dremeling. The plastic is a bit cheap, though, might still want a new case. And the US color schemes on the buttons wont absolutely do. Drab...

Embedding doesn't seem to work for me, so here's a link to a picture.

https://imgur.com/a/H3F3rXh

A proper SNES pad for comparison, likely would not work, and a Honeybee SF-3 for completeness sake. A bit too big.

Old 17 May 2018, 15:48   #233
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
Both red and blue buttons work for me so the issue is probably hardware related, something with a problem switching between cd32 mode and two button mode on some Amigas.
I think you might want to read this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=73618

Hope it helps.
Old 21 May 2018, 11:05   #234
lord of time
Banned

Can you please put me down for 1 complete pad? thank you.
Old 23 May 2018, 15:13   #235
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I think you might want to read this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=73618

Hope it helps.
Thanks, I had read that earlier but it helped me now when I was troubleshooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumimono View Post
Kit received, waiting on bugfixes before assembling. Might need some soldering practice, too....

On a related note, a ten year old chinese knock-off SNES pad seems to have near perfect fit, with three plastic tabs lining up with the three holes on the new PCB perfectly, only the bottom screw mount needing a few microns of dremeling. The plastic is a bit cheap, though, might still want a new case. And the US color schemes on the buttons wont absolutely do. Drab...

Embedding doesn't seem to work for me, so here's a link to a picture.

https://imgur.com/a/H3F3rXh

A proper SNES pad for comparison, likely would not work, and a Honeybee SF-3 for completeness sake. A bit too big.
I have designed the PCB to fit several knock-off SNES gamepads, it won't fit the original SNES gamepad case, since the shoulder buttons pads relies on being fastened to the main PCB, there's also some other minor differences with the original case and the knock-off case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomphanatic View Post
Hi Mick,
I'd be interested in a complete pad.
Been mucking around with some adapters that work fine with mice but no joy with a game pad. I may not be able to play any games properly but at least my Amiga has a working mouse now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggo View Post
Hey Mick,
These gamepads look amazing! Can you please add me to your list? I'm interested in buying two black ones, assembled and tested.
Thank you for your work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosonic View Post
looking for 2 Full Kit: ~29€

add me to the list please
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoedgey View Post
Hello there
First things first, thank you for doing this for the community MickGyver

Now if I may..
I would like to be marked down if I could for 2 assembled controllers when I can

Thank you again for your time
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
Can you please put me down for 1 complete pad? thank you.
You are all on my list, I'm sorry for the delay in confirming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadrive View Post
Back in the day I only used a 1 button controller with my Amiga, were there any games that would support extra buttons except the CD32? Regardless of the answer, I am trying to get better at soldering since I still stink, so I would like to buy 2 kits, so please add me. And as many have mentioned, the fact that you invested the time and resources to make something like this possible via adapting snes usb controllers is simply fantastic for this community....
There are quite a few games supporting a second button. Check this list out: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=57540 . You are on my list! You will need to be able to solder SMD components, not tooo hard when you know the technique. Also, using solder paste instead of solder wire helps a lot in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsister View Post
I'd also like to get in line for an assembled pad. Preferably black, but not that important.
I'm going to Retrospelsmässan in Gothenburg on Saturday to showcase my game Thy Sword. I will bring a few KTRL CD32 gamepads with me so if you are going...

I have now fixed a bug in the firmware that could cause problems on some A1200 machines. It took me about 40 effective hours to troubleshoot . I have also replaced a few capacitors to make the signal slightly faster, this could help on some machines. If you have already received a gamepad and have problems, please get in touch and I will do my best to get it sorted out.

The controllers I will make from now on will have the new capacitors and the new firmware. Capacitor changes:

C3, C9 from 100pF to 22pF
C4 from 1000pF to 100pF

I will resume assembly of gamepads after the weekend.
Old 23 May 2018, 18:58   #236
troupe86

I just want to say that I received my pad a couple of weeks ago and it has breathed new life in to my Amiga CD32. It has worked well with every game that I have tried so far (with the exception of Giana Sisters as it doesn't always properly acknowledge a left d-pad keypress), and I'm finding it to be an excellent pad overall!

Thanks!

Old 23 May 2018, 19:40   #237
donnie

excellent work.

i would like to buy an assembled ktrl when you have one ready.
Old 23 May 2018, 19:53   #238
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
excellent work.

i would like to buy an assembled ktrl when you have one ready.
You are on my list! Are you going to Retrospelsmässan on Saturday? I will bring a few gamepads there.
Old 23 May 2018, 19:59   #239
donnie

Sadly no. If it was in Stockholm i might have.
Old 02 June 2018, 01:19   #240
eXeler0

@MickGyver Money sent and PM replied.
I was (of course) at Retrospelsmässan last weekend, didn't read this until now, so I must have missed you. Were you in the big hall or the smalller one with the pinball machines and indie games?