English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 20 April 2001, 15:41   #1
Burge
Get ready, Agent

It was this cool game about the wars going on in the Middle East set around about 1994, where you had to get shotguns, uzi's and other weapons to blow Iraki's away and you also had to find keycards to open up doors, elevators etc. It would be cool if anyone else had this game and would like to reminisce abut it.
Old 20 April 2001, 20:33   #2
Gibby

I had it.

I had the game. I quite liked it as well, the only problem with the game was that it was too slow. After you'd cleared a couple of levels of all the Iraqi's it would take ages to run around the empty levels.

I played it quite a bit but never really got very far simply cos it was too slow and a bit tedious running around doing pretty much the same thing over and over again.

One of the things I found the funniest about the game was what the enemies shouted when they caught sight of you.

Overall it was an alright game. There wasn't too much to it and the speed was a pain but what there was, was good.

Old 21 April 2001, 06:10   #3
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Speaking of funny

Though I reckon the funniest bit was in the intro when a silhouette (sp?) of an Iraqi guy would come on screen and wave his arms around and say something in his native tongue. Me and my friends always thought he was saying "No grog here!" as that was what it sounded like to us. Hilarious.
Old 21 April 2001, 11:37   #4
poppe

Send a message via ICQ to poppe
well..

...was i the only one who got tired of fighting russians and arabs? Course i mean, everyone knows that it´s not them who are the bad guys. Like the lost patrol, a great game but the makers must have had no whatsoever real picture of the conflict...

I would love to have a game where you kick american butt...

(That's not nice Poppe, you'll start a slanging match off now - Zeewolf )

Last edited by Zeewolf; 21 April 2001 at 15:14.
Old 23 April 2001, 15:02   #5
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Racial Sterotypes

In Hollywood and many games, an evil bad guy is needed. It was the Nazis, then the Russians, then the Vietnamese, then the Iraqis etc.

Films need to be very black and white for standard audiences - they don't want to see what actually happened. They want to see the American hero win against the evil aggressors.

So, in The Patriot, the bad guys are the British. Supposedly based on historical events, the good guys (etc. Mel Gibson) are made out to be extremely heroic. In reality, Mel Gibson's character was a nasty piece of work, with many slaves. In the film, he is a freedom fighter, who instead hires black people to work on his farm. The bad guys are either incompetent or evil, committing war crimes more associated with Nazi Germany.

Something similar happens with Hollywood films about Northern Ireland. They make terrorists out to be freedom fighters, when at best they are sleazy criminals exploiting the situation and at worst, murderers of innocent people.

In the film, Gettysburg, both sides are American, so it wouldn't quite fit into Hollywood's simple good vs evil model. Instead, they made everyone a good guy!

Some games do include this sort of mindless stereotyping, such as Navy Seals and Persian Gulf Inferno, but a lot of games have much more thought put into them.

However, it's not good to be too politically correct...
Old 23 April 2001, 16:11   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, speaking from an American perspective, I have always been repulsed by political correctness. I think most of the general public had no use for P.C. before our bleeding heart liberals shoved this extremism down our throats, so now many Americans have been trained and conditioned to expect this nonsense.

Why would anyone want sugar-coated fakeness is beyond me. Sure, if it's on The Brady Bunch, then that's the whole idea. But on historical epics and such (or even action games!), it's inane playing up that old John Wayne ethic. We should be a more intelligent people at this point in history and less subject to Hollywood brainwash, but apparently people seem to like being led by the nose and being told how to think, feel, react, etc.

Old 24 April 2001, 23:19   #7
poppe

Send a message via ICQ to poppe
yeah..

I totaly agree in everything but that there is black and white people want. I think people really want to have other things then the usual ones they are fed. But i think the majority is kind of lazy and the usual peoples life doesn´t leave so much time in trying to find alternativs. I think thats why people settle for brainwashing tv, films, music and videogames.

And if anyone got upset for the "kick american but" it wasn´t ment like that, just wanted to say that i different game with a different kind of perspective would be cool to see...

But this site is about games, not politics. So game over for now.
Old 03 July 2008, 11:17   #8
KTC
Registered WHDLoad User

Just reviving an old thread.

I've played this game many times, just for hearing the yell at the beginning and the shouting enemies. There is just something satisfying in making a roll and shutting them up. The animation also impressed me back then, but I must agree that the leveldesign was too open.

I always wondered if the developers are danish. The names sound very danish, but I haven't been able to find information about this. Can anybody here shed some light on that?

Link to the game at HOL: http://hol.abime.net/1031
Old 07 July 2008, 16:24   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

That's 7 years ago, just at the time when Bush got office. I wonder how many folks now really want games like that...

And BTW, you could play History Line 1914-1918 as Axis. Same goes for Civilization.
Old 07 July 2008, 20:07   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I think in most WW2 FPS you can play Axis in multiplayer. In Return to Castle Wolfenstein for sure, but since I dislike WW2 FPS I don't know about others
Persian Gulf Inferno is one these good old black & white painted game like most action movies from the eighties. I miss them
Old 10 July 2008, 01:30   #11
cv643d

LOL... so sure, we also found the iraq speak when an enemy arrive hillarious. Also we thought it was "so realistic" that you did not see the bullet you where shooting. Most platform games showed bullets comming from guns, but in PGI your bullets are invisible and more realistic

Yabajeee!