English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 30 August 2021, 14:55   #21
AMIGASYSTEM

Many years ago on my A4000 Dopus5 was set like this

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 September 2021 at 17:32.
Old 30 August 2021, 17:29   #22
Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus66 View Post
I am experimenting with Dopus 5.5 currently and really enjoying it.

Similarly to above post I have a DOpus 4 style locked dual pane setup, with a shared button bank, but I wanted hires only without lace. I really enjoy all the extra benefits v5 brings over v4.

Nice job there fitting everything on a lower resolution. I like your idea!

It’s worth mentioning that I’m running Dopus5.82 Magellan II, the last version released before it went open source.
I remember I tried the first versions of Dopus5 and got that “ghhhaahh I don’t want that, I’ll stick with dopus4”-feeling then too.

I ran it as a wb replacement for years too, and I liked it. Can’t remember why I returned to that view. It’s been a few years….
Old 30 August 2021, 23:40   #23
Octopus66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Nice job there fitting everything on a lower resolution. I like your idea!

It’s worth mentioning that I’m running Dopus5.82 Magellan II, the last version released before it went open source.
I remember I tried the first versions of Dopus5 and got that “ghhhaahh I don’t want that, I’ll stick with dopus4”-feeling then too.

I ran it as a wb replacement for years too, and I liked it. Can’t remember why I returned to that view. It’s been a few years….
Yes thanks. I think one of the main criticisms of DO5 is that for a standard hires Amiga the DO4 layout is hard to beat. I recall this being highlighted in the Amiga Format review at the time.

But I think DO5 is flexible enough to overcome this issue, albeit with a small memory penalty (I expect - haven't tested), and there are many benefits such as still enjoying additional listers (inc. built in FTP as shown below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Many years ago on my A4000 Dopus5 was set like this
Pretty screenshot
Old 31 August 2021, 08:28   #24
jPV

Here's how DOpus 5.82 Magellan 2 works on my A1200/030/AGA on hires (non-laced) screen. The video shows archive browsing, inline editing, automatic window arranging, startmenus, text viewing, etc DOpus5 features. In many cases it's enough just to work with one window too, for example if you unpack stuff to RAM: with a hotkey or context menu, and so on... no need to waste screen space for dual listers in lowres setup.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 August 2021, 10:22   #25
Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Here's how DOpus 5.82 Magellan 2 works on my A1200/030/AGA on hires (non-laced) screen. The video shows archive browsing, inline editing, automatic window arranging, startmenus, text viewing, etc DOpus5 features. In many cases it's enough just to work with one window too, for example if you unpack stuff to RAM: with a hotkey or context menu, and so on... no need to waste screen space for dual listers in lowres setup.

[ Show youtube player ]
Offtopic:
Haha that demo Never seen it before, what a theme
Old 03 October 2021, 19:08   #26
morten.dynamite

I have always used DOpus4 didn’t like DOpus5 but always thought DOpus4 is slow.
I might give DOpus5 a new chance if it is faster.

On my Windows machine I use Directory Opus Pro 12.25 Build 7942 x64.
Old 08 October 2021, 06:43   #27
AmigaHope

Can I put in a vote for DirWork? I always loved DirWork.
Old 08 October 2021, 09:24   #28
nikosidis

There is nothing DOpus 4 can do that DOpus 5 can not. DOpus 5 is just way more advanced.
I understand that DOpus 4 can do what most are looking for but for me DOpus 5 is on another level.
Old 28 November 2021, 19:38   #29
Waxhead

I prefer DOpus4 for my Amiga work. Simple and clean.

Slightly off topic - but just in case someone is interested - there is a pretty good "clone" called Worker for Linux. Just search for "Worker file manager" if that is of interest. I also use DoubleCommander which I think is superior to TotalCommander (both on Windows and Linux) which I started to use in lack of a proper DOpus clone when I was stupid enough to move from Amiga to Windows, I regained sanity somewhat and switched to Debian, but decided to stick with DC/TC since I gotten used to it. If not Worker would be my primary choice (and it is a lot faster than DC/TC as well).
Old 28 November 2021, 19:56   #30
PerspexSphinx

Worker, works great on Raspberry Pi OS (even 64bit) and in conjunction with ImageMagic it can display Amiga IFF/ILBM pictures which is handy.
Old 28 November 2021, 20:35   #31
Havie

DOpus 4 for me - although I have never really tried 5.

What does it do that 4 doesn't?

Found out by complete accident the other day that if you are displaying a graphic and press space then it's attributes are displayed. If only I'd know this before...
Old 29 November 2021, 05:26   #32
Pyromania

I love DOpus 4 but never had the same passion for 5. I didn’t dislike it but 4 was where it was at.
Old 29 November 2021, 08:00   #33
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
DOpus 4 for me - although I have never really tried 5.

What does it do that 4 doesn't?
A LOT. Almost everthing has been improved, adding completely new features and freedom. It's like comparing a 50s car with today's car, or something like that

I don't have time to write yet another novel about the differences and features, but I'd suggest to read comments and watch videos in this thread to get a slight impression, but if you really want to learn what it's about, read the manuals for starters.

Quote:
Found out by complete accident the other day that if you are displaying a graphic and press space then it's attributes are displayed. If only I'd know this before...
It's really worth to read the manuals, be it 4 or 5. The best thing ever when I finally read the DOpus 5 + Magellan2 manuals after using the program for a year without reading them... how stupid it was to miss such a nice features that made your life easier and more efficient (keyboard shortcuts to copy file names into clipboard with or without paths, being able to inline edit also dates/protectionbits/comments etc etc, for random examples).
Old 29 November 2021, 15:13   #34
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

5 looks nicer, but whenever I've used Dopus it's because I needed a two-pane, orthodox file manager to keep my head straight when doing lots of file operations between different drawers. It's a lot simpler doing that with 4.
Old 29 November 2021, 15:46   #35
daxb

DOpus5 can behave the same if you like.
Old 29 November 2021, 16:55   #36
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Yeah but why bother when I don't use Dopus except as a basic orthodox file manager? The nicer look of 5 isn't worth upgrading, especially if I have to fiddle around a bunch with configuration to get it to otherwise look and act like 4. Upgrading for the sake of it is how we ended up with Windows 8+.
Old 29 November 2021, 17:12   #37
AMIGASYSTEM

Dopus4 can do the same things as Dopus5, once closed you have your traditional Workbench, with Dopus5 you no longer have the Workbench, everything becomes more complex to configure everything on the Workbench, also are known bugs in Dopu5 that slow down windows and icons.
Old 29 November 2021, 18:31   #38
PeterK

No Carlo, since my iconlib build #552 I've made the icon loading on DOpus 5.83 for RTG and native screens faster again, and now it's only about 20 % slower than Workbench, if you avtivate my options "DOnoColorMapping", "HoldTCbuffer1" and "UseCustomDragRoutines" in the settings. You won't notice the lower speed anymore.

In addition, the DOpus5 crashes during screen mode switching, which were caused by a too late usage of FreeDiskObject() and ReleasePen() for an already closed screen, should be fixed now.

Of course, you can also launch DOpus5 from the Workbench and use both parallel.

Nevertheless, I still prefer the Workbench together with DOpus 4.17pre21 as my favorite file-manager, which is my most often used tool and I can't live without it since the 1990'th.

Last edited by PeterK; 29 November 2021 at 18:39.
Old 30 November 2021, 00:06   #39
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes Peter I know how to optimize it and the benefits of your icon.library, I also know how to use it with the Workbench, I was generalizing, Dopus5 I do not use because I think it is inconvenient to manage files.

With Dopus4 I have everything at my fingertips, Dopus5 is very dispersive, difficult and complicated for an inexperienced user, Dopus4 is more intuitive and simple to use and configure.
Old 30 November 2021, 04:02   #40
EctoOne

I just spend some time testing DO5 but I just can't get into it. Even with a similar 2 pane layout it bothers me too much that (almost) everything is separate windows on the desktop.
I'm also missing the right click to go up a dir from DO4, at least I wasn't able to find it.
And I've spend too much time on my DO4 config already.

I do like that filetypes and modules can easily be added/stored instead of having everything in a single config file.