English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 27 February 2005, 19:55   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Getting the CAPS plugin to work with OS X

Like Galahad I've changed my mind about CAPS. Sorry about that comment on my forum about the project being useless to the average Amiga emulation fan. Even then I recognised the importance of the project and the great contribution you're making to the future of the Amiga legacy, but didn't realise how widely available these IPF images were... but enough of that kind of talk.

I popped in to ask if the Linux installation instructions also apply to OS X. The latest version of E-UAE doesn't support IPF images so I'm trying to install the plugin manually. Any ideas?
Old 27 February 2005, 19:59   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I'm glad you've changed your mind but is the only reason because you can find somewhere to download them now?
Old 27 February 2005, 20:13   #3
Amiga1992

Yeah, sounds pretty sad. I don-t have a single IPF and i dont want any but my own, nevertheless I realize the importance of the project.
Old 27 February 2005, 22:48   #4
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
I'm glad you've changed your mind but is the only reason because you can find somewhere to download them now?
No, this isn't a complete about turn. Like I said, I was never dead against the project to begin with. If I remember correctly, the only negative thing I had to say re: CAPS was that at the moment the end user isn't going to get a great deal out of the initiative, which is factually true unless they are able to find the CAPS images themselves. I'm aware that the end goal of the project is to get the permission of the game authors to release their work openly and legally to ensure that the Amiga spirit is kept alive. I'm sure you would agree, there would be no point otherwise.

Morals aside, in this case, whether you respect the programmer's copyright or not they aren't going to benefit, so it's a bit of a moot point IMO. Since you can no longer buy these games they're not going to reap the rewards of their hard work and creativity. Fans playing them via UAE isn't going to scupper their chances of porting their games to portable devices like mobile phones etc. if that's what they chose to do.
Old 27 February 2005, 22:57   #5
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Well I contributed to the CAPS project and I got a hell of a lot out of it. I got 100% copies of my games so that they are not lost forever.

That's more than enough for me
Old 28 February 2005, 06:58   #6
fiath

It won't work on OSX until we port the library. I was going to do this ages ago since ages ago I had been planning to buy a laptop (iBook/Powerbook) anyway. Unfortunately I have not been in a position to financially yet.

Pretty obviously, without the hardware, we can't port it.
Old 28 February 2005, 19:56   #7
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Oh I see, that's a shame. Even so, it's good to finally get a definitive answer, thanks. I spent ages seaching the web trying to solve this riddle before posting - it appears that there would be very little demand for an OS X plugin if you did get the chance to port it.
Old 01 March 2005, 07:10   #8
fiath

We can only go by the amount of requests, and there has been more for OSX than any other platform.
Old 01 March 2005, 19:58   #9
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Well whaddaya know. I seem to be making a habit of being wrong at the moment. It's just that I searched the largest Mac forum I know of and the only post about Amiga emulation was completely ignored. Glad to hear this doesn't apply across the board.