English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 26 June 2023, 01:14   #1
Inner200k

Configuration Filles

Without trying to re-re-re-invent a wheel that has likely more wheels than an 18 wheeler by now, what would people suggest I use?

As far as I know the Amiga never really had a common default (official) tool to read/write configuration files, I did some recon on google/aminet found Config101.lha / libconfig.lha not really sure either of them fit my use case, ideally I'd like PureBasic preferences library but I'm not coding in PureBasic but in C code, mainly due to my code being open source and PureBasic being paid software.
Old 26 June 2023, 09:10   #2
Sani11

Your question is quite relatable! I've faced similar predicaments while working with the Amiga and C code.

From what I can gather, you're essentially looking for a configuration library that's easy to use and open source, much like PureBasic, but compatible with C code. I recommend checking out 'libconfig'. It's a simple C library for processing structured configuration files, like INI and .conf. It's open-source and pretty flexible.

However, if you've already checked it and it doesn't quite fit, have you looked into 'inih' (INI Not Invented Here)? It's a small and simple INI file parser written in C. It's extremely lightweight and open-source too!
Old 26 June 2023, 09:40   #3
Inner200k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sani11 View Post
Your question is quite relatable! I've faced similar predicaments while working with the Amiga and C code.

From what I can gather, you're essentially looking for a configuration library that's easy to use and open source, much like PureBasic, but compatible with C code. I recommend checking out 'libconfig'. It's a simple C library for processing structured configuration files, like INI and .conf. It's open-source and pretty flexible.

However, if you've already checked it and it doesn't quite fit, have you looked into 'inih' (INI Not Invented Here)? It's a small and simple INI file parser written in C. It's extremely lightweight and open-source too!
I did find this a few hours ago, however I'm using SAS/C 6.58 I'm not sure if;

https://aminet.net/package/dev/c/iniparser

is even just plugin and use, oddly I trust gcc on linux 100% on AmigaOS yeah I'll take a pass and use SAS/C which I have used for years, even if it's documentation is somewhat spars, iniparser comes with a .lib I'm yet to try and put in my lib: folder to see if it just works, I know the example code doesn't compile at all.
Old 26 June 2023, 16:36   #4
Sani11

Ah, the joys of configuration files and C coding on AmigaOS! I've been there. If you're already comfortable with SAS/C, it makes sense to stick with it, even if the documentation can be a little sparse.

Iniparser is a decent choice, but it sounds like you're running into some issues. If the provided .lib isn't working out of the box, it might be worth trying to compile the library from source with your SAS/C setup.

Also, have you tried reaching out to the maintainer of the iniparser package on aminet? They might have some insight on how to make it play nice with SAS/C.
Old 26 June 2023, 18:39   #5
nogginthenog
Amigan

Some applications use ReadArgs() to process configuration files.
Roadshow for example.
Old 04 July 2023, 18:03   #6
Inner200k

I ended up using;
Config 1.01 (29.5.96) by Adam Dawes

Which got FSUAE-DropDisk humming along nice, "he says" -- as the "FS-UAE Amiga 500" crashes on a music disk demo adf he loaded on his 2nd screen.. {BUT THAT'S NOT MY FAULT!}