English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 22 October 2016, 10:52   #1
liviux76

Pinball Fantasies ECS - WHDLoad problem

Hello all,
I've recently bought this game but I am not able to successfully install it with WHDLoad (version 18.2).

The installer asks for the disks but at the end it says (sorry an error has occurred...).
Unfortunately the "patcher" (the installer is called this way) doesn't say which error has occurred and in which disk.

I am using the 3 disks version that has SPS ID 25. My original disks seems good and I've also used my kryoflux to write a new set from the ipf files with the same result.

Is the installer bugged in some way? Could someone try to install the game and let me know how it goes? Thanks in advance!

PS:
On HOL they say that the game has 3 disks but on the SPS website they say 4 disks and, in fact, they have preserved a fourth disk called "Amiga PAL Course Disk 3". I've looked for it on Internet but I didn't find it anywhere...
Old 22 October 2016, 11:32   #2
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Disk 3 was a special disk for 512k Amigas wasn't it? It did not come with my boxed version of the game and you might have had to request it from the devs as well as the hd installer disk. I don't remember an issue with the installer but it was over a decade ago since I installed my version.

I have just quickly tested the installer in Winuae with SPS 25. The installer does not ask for course disc3(It is included in sps25). It does however complete the imaging process and the installer only fails when you close the patcher. The game is fully installed ok.
Old 22 October 2016, 12:14   #3
liviux76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
Disk 3 was a special disk for 512k Amigas wasn't it? It did not come with my boxed version of the game and you might have had to request it from the devs as well as the hd installer disk. I don't remember an issue with the installer but it was over a decade ago since I installed my version.

I have just quickly tested the installer in Winuae with SPS 25. The installer does not ask for course disc3(It is included in sps25). It does however complete the imaging process and the installer only fails when you close the patcher. The game is fully installed ok.
Thanks for your feedback, mate!

Exactly, the patcher doesn't ask for the fourth disk but as soon as it ends to read the third disk it simply says something like "process finished" and when you close the patcher you receive the error message. It is something like "an error has occurred... some files have not been copied correctly...".

I've started the game but I've seen just two tables (the one selectable with F1 and the other selectable with F2) so I thought that the installer failed copying the other two tables. If not, how can I select table 3 and table 4?
Old 22 October 2016, 12:27   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

Remove disk and press help key.
Old 22 October 2016, 12:56   #5
liviux76

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Remove disk and press help key.
Thanks, I've read that on the manual but since I am playing through WHDLoad I didn't understand how to remove the disk.

At the end I've found the way, I have to press "Insert" on my keyboard (I use an A1200T with an AmigaONE ps2 keyboard) and then I can select the third and the fourth table respectively with F1 and F2.

I've tested all the tables now and the game seems to work fine. Thanks for the help, guys, I was just worried for the error message but that's probably a little "mistake" of the installer.
Old 29 October 2016, 17:42   #6
liviux76

I am enjoying this game but I wasn't able to use the course disk 3 (found on the SPS package) that should have two more tables... is there anyone that owns a copy of it or is it possible to find extra tables?
Old 29 October 2016, 18:28   #7
DamienD
Banned

Didn't realise there was a "Course Disk 3"...

...just tried it in WinUAE but can't get it to work; the disk isn't recognised after insertion
Old 29 October 2016, 18:40   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Have you read Mad-Matts post? From HOL:

Quote:
Notes: Game was shipped as a 3-disk and a 4-disk version. The fourth disk featured a "slimmed" version of the game for 512K Amigas. For that to work, you had to insert course disk 2 resp. 3, then the game prompted you to insert disk 4.

Graphically and technically, the 512K version is the same as the 1M version, but there is absolutely no sound (not even SFX).
Old 29 October 2016, 18:49   #9
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Have you read Mad-Matts post? From HOL:
Nope

Thanks for the info Retro

...so no extra tables then, shame
Old 29 October 2016, 20:53   #10
liviux76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Nope

Me neither...

I was mislead by the name of the ipf file (PinballFantasies_CourseDisk3.ipf)... It's a pity that there aren't extra tables...
Old 30 October 2016, 04:09   #11
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Nope

I have the originals, and IPF versions. The game always had (and will have) 4 tables.

I do not know where the manuals are, in a filing cabinet somewhere I think, but I always had a 1MB+ Amiga and never used Course disk 3.

Quote:
I am using the 3 disks version that has SPS ID 25.
Apparently CAPS 0377 has 2 disks

SPSID 25 is 4 disk version according to my archives (and SPS). According to SPS, there never was a 3 disk version (That they have in their archives).

Last edited by whiteb; 30 October 2016 at 05:17.
Old 12 November 2020, 12:32   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

disk 3 has the same MFM format as other disks, but I don't know what's it's supposed to contain...

ah it's the 512k version as explained here

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...+fantasies+sps