English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 23 February 2023, 15:32   #141
Dale423

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Ah, I’m talking about buffee. I paid for a beta board, have so far received nothing
Beta boards went out like 2 and half years ago. At least that is when I got mine. Might want to hit them up on that.
Old 26 February 2023, 16:31   #142
Pyromania

I’m blaming Mayor Wilkins for this, he always was a thorn in Buffy’s side.
Old 26 February 2023, 19:02   #143
wiz12

Buffee... It's dead!!
Old 26 February 2023, 21:14   #144
QuikSanz

Nonarkitten has her plate full of a years of stuff. She has said that this one is first then others. After comes Agnus replacement and down the line. Patience Fellow Amigan.

Chris
Old 27 February 2023, 10:29   #145
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSanz View Post
Patience Fellow Amigan.

Money has already changed hands. That causes massive problems, as recent comments show.
Old 27 February 2023, 20:52   #146
kipper2k

its not dead, while we are waiting we are working on the other custom chips, Gary is done, working, pictures on discord
Old 17 March 2023, 15:15   #147
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
its not dead, while we are waiting we are working on the other custom chips, Gary is done, working, pictures on discord

@kipper2k are all the new chips direct drop-in replacements or there cases where we’ll need adapter boards?
Old 19 March 2023, 03:12   #148
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
@kipper2k are all the new chips direct drop-in replacements or there cases where we’ll need adapter boards?
They are the same size as the original chips and will be direct drop in. Agnus is the tricky one but i tested the design for continuity of all 84 pins and so far so good, (there is a little bump on the chip where their router backs off from the PCB a little too soon so i will talk to them
Old 24 March 2023, 20:43   #149
nonarkitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Money has already changed hands. That causes massive problems, as recent comments show.
The sole reason I even entertained the idea of the beta launch was to try and get some help with testing and development and out of fifty boards, I've have zero commitments to help.

The boards were sold as a beta with no promises made or implied. In fact, it was very clearly stated to everyone who bought one that they'd be on the hook for using (rather expensive) JTAG programmers and cables, and following along with development. They were shipped blank deliberately and I explained this and why.

I have the feeling that they all just went to hoarders who wanted to be "first," didn't read anything and had no desire to help with the project at all.

I saw one person joke about porting Musashi to it so that at least it "wouldn't be worse than PiStorm," and even that never materialized.

I even posted the bootloader, a precompiled binary that people could run to at least test out, and only one person bothered (and ended up frying his Buffee).

The basic explanation of our current hold up. Our CPU (AM3358) has an external memory interface called the GPMC, the "General Purpose Memory Controller." This should allow the ARM CPU to essentially see the 68K bus as a 16MB memory region, thus mitigating the need to bit-bang or have any specialized hardware to access directly. More importantly, it makes reading from the 68K bus a single ARM instruction, and that's a big reason why we can get the claimed performance.

We found the GPMC had a rather fatal flaw that has been very difficult to overcome. It's "WAIT" mechanism is a full-halt of its state machine. This is basically (but not quite) the exact opposite to the "READY" behaviour of the DTACK. Some EMI's allow either mode, but TI's does not. This is why we had to add the GreenPAK -- to add a 'translation' between DTACK and WAIT. And so far, its proven to not work.

And I've been a little more than completely out of my depth. Hence the ask for help. But I'm still working on it, though. And I will continue to do so despite the naysayers.