English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 June 2014, 16:48   #1
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

Send a message via AIM to Seblington
Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr

Hello guys, I am getting my old Amiga's out of storage and noticed an intersting toy, the Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr, I am looking to buy one but can someone please tell me if

this will offer higher than normal screen resolutions and show more than 256 colours on WB

Or

Just makes all the old display modes work on a new monitor?

I wanted to get my A4000 040 up to spec but I might be selling that instead, unless someone has a Picasso card for sale?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 17 June 2014, 16:56   #2
ancalimon
Supernormal

It can display higher resolution modes (upto 1024x768) which only work with real Multiscan monitors without Indivision. It does not change the speed of the modes though. You are still limited by how much bandwidth is offered by AGA. Maximum colours is still 256 (and probably the ham modes as well) since you will still be using AGA.

It will allow you to connect your Amiga to modern PC monitors and will provide flicker free picture. I will buy one for my A1200 and one for my A4000T even though my 4000T has rtg card. My Amiga monitors won't last forever.

Don't forget that the one for 1200&4000T isn't compatible with 4000D. There is a different model for 4000D.

Check amibay for a graphics card from time to time someone sells something.

You also have the option to get yourself a Mediator and use a PC PCI graphics card. Alinea stocks them: http://www.amiga-shop.net/product_in...roducts_id=579

Last edited by ancalimon; 17 June 2014 at 17:57.
Old 17 June 2014, 17:54   #3
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

Thank you, that helps a lot :-) I have been looking at the mediator board, I missed a Voodoo5 PCI card last week, though I would like to stick a Picasso in there and a toccata card, but for me, the A500 and A1200 machines where the ones I used when I was young, the 4000D and 4000T where the ones I wanted, so I want to get my A500 with an A530 and the 1200, well unless I go for a tower, its going to be a PPC card, I brought one of these dirt cheap years ago with the Bvision card, but sold it when times where tough :-(
Old 19 June 2014, 17:37   #4
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

Well, just brought myself one :-) Finally came into stock at Amiga kit, looking forward to using my A1200 once more
Old 24 June 2014, 02:52   #5
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seblington View Post
Well, just brought myself one :-) Finally came into stock at Amiga kit, looking forward to using my A1200 once more
Enjoy your card

Watch this in HD -> [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by NovaCoder; 24 June 2014 at 05:16.
Old 24 June 2014, 08:40   #6
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Time is a great healer. You may have forgotten what your old Amiga display was really like. Be sure to suffer a flickering, blurry CRT for a few days. That way you will really appreciate your new Indivision!

Good luck.
Old 24 June 2014, 10:13   #7
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

Well its in, lots of fun installing it as I took the computer apart without breaking the warranty seal, no mention the thing shorts out on the motherboards top shield ( to repeat the dismantle and rebuild). Install software didn't work properly so did that manual, not difficult, but for some reason, from cold there's no display, have to reset it a few times, hi-res interlace isn't working properly yet, the screen keeps on coming up larger than the display but I am sure this is all software related.

But yes, what a difference! using composite out or a good old fashioned Amiga CRT for a while, you notice one huge improvement.

Next steps? get the high res working, I thought I read somewhere you can output 1024 X 768 with this card but every setting I use on the indivision software just seems to mess the display up LOL.
Old 24 June 2014, 13:07   #8
NovaCoder

Quote:
Well its in, lots of fun installing it as I took the computer apart without breaking the warranty seal, no mention the thing shorts out on the motherboards top shield ( to repeat the dismantle and rebuild).
I'll give you a helpful hint, ditch the top shield....you don't need it and it's a pain in the bottom.

Old 24 June 2014, 15:08   #9
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

I totally agree LOL, mind you, the whole setup is a pain in the bottom  but the machine is back together which is the way I want to keep it LOL.

Currently though I am experiencing another issue, there’s no display on start-up, sounds like a common thing for people who play with the settings and don’t know what they are doing ( guilty), but it has done this from new. There is the fail safe way around this by plugging in an old display but I also found if you hold the two mouse buttons during boot-up and start normally, it works and will continue to work till you power it down. My biggest problem is anything in laced mode does not fit the screen properly, usually too big, you can offset the screen using the software but it’s only a temp fix
Old 24 June 2014, 22:23   #10
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

OK, I think I have worked out the blank screen problem, the PAL on the Indivision differs to the lower res one I have, I don't think the screen mode I am using is fully supported, still getting nowhere with the laced screen formats, I did download a 1024X768 screen res which works great, except the graphics glitches :-/
Old 25 June 2014, 01:37   #11
NovaCoder

Quote:
OK, I think I have worked out the blank screen problem, the PAL on the Indivision differs to the lower res one I have, I don't think the screen mode I am using is fully supported, still getting nowhere with the laced screen formats, I did download a 1024X768 screen res which works great, except the graphics glitches :-/
You need to load up a 'good' config file (like mine!), that will get you the best picture. I've found it's best to run in PAL 640x512 because otherwise you get a long pause whenever you run a demo/game because the Indivision has to switch modes.

This is another video of how mine runs now, this is my old monitor BTW (I've now switched to a 1280x1024 which scales exactly to the standard 320x256 PAL video mode and looks better).

[ Show youtube player ]

The flicker issue is a know problem, that's another reason why I don't bother trying to run in 1024x768

There's a long thread on this board somewhere that has the config files attached....

Last edited by NovaCoder; 25 June 2014 at 03:05.
Old 25 June 2014, 11:14   #12
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

Well last night, I used Euro72 high res at 800X600, it glitched for 10 seconds then worked fine, everything seemed OK till I tested it this morning, again, there was no display. I logged a ticked with Amiga-kit and apart from the simple things, they pointed out a possible hardware fix changing a load of resistors, after reading some old posts, there seems to be possible timing issues with ACA1230 an certain programs not working ( notice this card does not show in the boot options expansion list). I am going to start again with the install, my card has an issue with ROM 3.0 and have just ordered a pair of 3.1's ( needs software fix to see all the ram).

Will get there in the end