English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 January 2021, 00:23   #1
CryptidWorks

Can't Get Workbench 3.1 to Recognize Virtual Harddisk

I've gotten this far

https://imgur.com/a/H8QQuaM

But I can't get the software actually see the virtual harrddrive no matter what I set the connection type to. The install disc also errors out if I don't have the Workbench3.1 disk in the other floppy drive
Old 09 January 2021, 01:32   #2
AC/DC HACKER!

Lots of missing information. I don't know which configuration you're using. Amiga 500, 2000, 3000, 4000?? If A4000.. Make it have 4 floppies. Workbench in DF0:, Install in DF1:, and so on until all floppies are full. Make sure you've set the size of the HDF (500MB..or smaller, bigger depending what you want to do). Click create and choose filename for the HDF. Now, select it in path. Next, click "Full Drive/RDB mode". Disable the Boot option for the moment..

Boot the Amiga.

In this case, uaehf.device is what's used. I suggest once you're about to prep the Hard Drive that you copy the program HDToolBox to RAM: so it doesn't attempt to save the info to floppy. From there, Right Amiga+I from the RAM: location will bring up Information so you make change the device from scsi to uaehf and the save. Now run the program.

Now you should see "Change drive type" is active. You know what to do from there?
Old 09 January 2021, 02:02   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptidWorks View Post
I've gotten this far

https://imgur.com/a/H8QQuaM

But I can't get the software actually see the virtual harrddrive no matter what I set the connection type to. The install disc also errors out if I don't have the Workbench3.1 disk in the other floppy drive

Since you chose the HDController uaehf.device, you need to put it in the Icon Tool Types as well, see screenshot.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 January 2021 at 17:05.
Old 09 January 2021, 05:23   #4
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Lots of missing information. I don't know which configuration you're using. Amiga 500, 2000, 3000, 4000?? If A4000.. Make it have 4 floppies. Workbench in DF0:, Install in DF1:, and so on until all floppies are full. Make sure you've set the size of the HDF (500MB..or smaller, bigger depending what you want to do). Click create and choose filename for the HDF. Now, select it in path. Next, click "Full Drive/RDB mode". Disable the Boot option for the moment..

Boot the Amiga.

In this case, uaehf.device is what's used. I suggest once you're about to prep the Hard Drive that you copy the program HDToolBox to RAM: so it doesn't attempt to save the info to floppy. From there, Right Amiga+I from the RAM: location will bring up Information so you make change the device from scsi to uaehf and the save. Now run the program.

Now you should see "Change drive type" is active. You know what to do from there?

Ok, Got it.

It was the drive type thing.

In the video I watched the guy somehow had it detecting the drive without changing that device type to UAEhf in the application properties despite using that format
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae64_2021_01_08_22_17_51_723.png
Views:	86
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	70231   Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae64_2021_01_08_22_15_06_251.png
Views:	87
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	70232  

Last edited by CryptidWorks; 09 January 2021 at 05:39.
Old 09 January 2021, 06:22   #5
AC/DC HACKER!

That wasn't one of my videos. That's more related to OS 3.5 or more advanced. Which I haven't posted yet.

Yep, ToolTypes can be tricky if you're not used to them. Glad you got it.
Old 09 January 2021, 06:36   #6
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
That wasn't one of my videos. That's more related to OS 3.5 or more advanced. Which I haven't posted yet.

Yep, ToolTypes can be tricky if you're not used to them. Glad you got it.

This was just some random guy on Youtube going over installing 3.1 and then upgrading it to 3.9. No clue how he skipped that step and still had it show up.

Thanks for the help because it was driving me nuts and I couldn't find anything on Google or get any answers posting on related Reddit subs
Old 09 January 2021, 10:42   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptidWorks View Post
Ok, Got it.

It was the drive type thing.

In the video I watched the guy somehow had it detecting the drive without changing that device type to UAEhf in the application properties despite using that format
I'm glad you solved it with my advice! In the video the user must have used the HDController "Standard Commodore" in this case the standard SCSI.DEVICE set in the Tooltypes would be fine

In the most updated versions of HDToolBox it is no longer necessary to add the Device, in the Tooltypes just add ASKDEVICE, see screnshot

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 January 2021 at 17:05.