English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 11 June 2021, 17:35   #641
Pyromania

@Steril707

What game did you spend 1000 hours coding. I want to buy this gem!
Old 11 June 2021, 20:24   #642
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
@Steril707

What game did you spend 1000 hours coding. I want to buy this gem!
I assume it’s this: https://tigerskunk.itch.io/inviyya

Which I’m just about to buy
Old 11 June 2021, 21:54   #643
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
And yet A-EON pays it so it is possible! A coder like yourself should use the shareware model.

A-EON pays because Trevor's got more money than he knows what to do with.
Old 12 June 2021, 02:51   #644
Heiroglyph

What is a mouse adapter that is known to work with the scroll wheel support?

My (probably first generation) Cocolino doesn't work, but it has always been a bit hit or miss.

Preferably one that isn't a bare board just waiting to be shorted out and is still easily available. USB or PS2, it doesn't matter to me.

Thanks!
Old 12 June 2021, 06:57   #645
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Well I've only tested scrollwheel with uae. but I'd assume cocolino to work too. The scrollwheel support relies on newmouse events which is the de-facto 68k standard. You still need to install it's driver software though. The thing the os does is replace the freewheel program
Old 12 June 2021, 07:55   #646
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
And yet A-EON pays it so it is possible!
That's because Trevor has a lot of money and is a good person and does this for the Amiga
Not because he earns any money with this.
Old 12 June 2021, 09:55   #647
jPV

I have some problems with the Shell usage on OS3.2:

1) Redirecting both stdout and stderr on the same line doesn't work. For example, "lha >RAM:test.txt *>>RAM:test.txt" gives an error "unable to open redirection file". The same happens with other (internal) commands too, not just with lha. This works just fine with OS3.1, OS4, and MorphOS, so it looks like a bug in newer 68k AmigaOS version(s).

2) The FailAt command seems to do some weird things when combined with the previous line in a script file. The redirection line will be looped forever when you add the FailAt before it and the script never exits. This also doesn't happen on older/other operating systems and looks like a new bug.

Here's an example script to reproduce both issues in the same script:
Code:
failat 21 ; this causes an eternal loop for the next line
lha >RAM:test.txt *>>RAM:test.txt ; combining both stdout and stderr on the same line doesn't work
It would be nice to hear comments from developers that is there any work-around for these, because they currently cripple my own project where I'm creating a GUI for shell programs. I'd need to get everything redirected in one line with big enough fail limit to avoid any shell windows popping up in any situation.

I'll also attach two screenshots, one showing how everything works as expected on OS3.1 and then another showing them failing on OS3.2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redirect-OS31.PNG
Views:	182
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	72259   Click image for larger version

Name:	redirect-OS32.PNG
Views:	165
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	72260  
Old 12 June 2021, 10:37   #648
Amiga68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
I have some problems with the Shell usage on OS3.2:

1) Redirecting both stdout and stderr on the same line doesn't work. For example, "lha >RAM:test.txt *>>RAM:test.txt" gives an error "unable to open redirection file". The same happens with other (internal) commands too, not just with lha. This works just fine with OS3.1, OS4, and MorphOS, so it looks like a bug in newer 68k AmigaOS version(s).
Specifically for lha, I'm also seeing different behavior with just "lha >RAM:test.txt"

OS3.1 returns to the shell
OS3.2 doesn't return to the shell, file is locked

For specifically lha there is this "Paused. Press any key to continue..." you get when just typing "lha" that might play a role...? Probably not related to the issue you are seeing though, but for instance "cd >RAM:test.txt" returns to the shell correctly.
Old 12 June 2021, 12:34   #649
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga68k View Post
Specifically for lha, I'm also seeing different behavior with just "lha >RAM:test.txt"

OS3.1 returns to the shell
OS3.2 doesn't return to the shell, file is locked

For specifically lha there is this "Paused. Press any key to continue..." you get when just typing "lha" that might play a role...? Probably not related to the issue you are seeing though, but for instance "cd >RAM:test.txt" returns to the shell correctly.
This still bears closer examination for sure.

What seems odd to me is the combination of using the same destination file for redirecting the output and then also appending the console output to it in sequence (we don't really have a good stderr on AmigaDOS).

Redirecting the output will create or overwrite an existing file which can then no longer be opened in read-only or read/write mode, even by the same process which created/overwrote that file just now. Appending console output to the same output redirection-created file will likely fail. It does not have to fail, though, because the file system you are redirecting all that output to has the final say on whether this combination of creating and appending is OK or not.

Could be that this worked differently for the shell or the file system in the past which you are using (redirection or appending to NIL: should not have such side-effects because no file system is involved). For consistency, I would have expected that the shell stops when it fails to open the console redirection file.

Is just the LhA command tripped up by this or would any command do, e.g. "Echo" or "Dir"?
Old 12 June 2021, 12:42   #650
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
I'll also attach two screenshots, one showing how everything works as expected on OS3.1 and then another showing them failing on OS3.2.
Not reproducable here, but then again, I'm not using 3.2, but the shell 47.36, which was the latest version I made before I left. So apparently, something broke later in the history.
Old 12 June 2021, 12:49   #651
Lisko

I was wondering if the copymemquick patch still gives an advantage on 3.2 or has been integrated in?
Old 12 June 2021, 12:55   #652
Amiga68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Not reproducable here, but then again, I'm not using 3.2, but the shell 47.36, which was the latest version I made before I left. So apparently, something broke later in the history.
Does "lha >RAM:test.txt" return to the shell immediately with 47.36? On the version shipped with 3.2 the shell keeps waiting for input.

Edit: nevermind, this seems to be related to the version of lha in use:
v1.38, shell keeps waiting for input, also on 3.1, workaround: use -Qa
v2.15, shell returns at once, both on 3.1 and 3.2

Last edited by Amiga68k; 12 June 2021 at 16:45.
Old 12 June 2021, 12:56   #653
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
I was wondering if the copymemquick patch still gives an advantage on 3.2 or has been integrated in?
No, and frankly: Where do you see a measureable advantage of this except in synthetic benchmarks?
Old 12 June 2021, 14:49   #654
jPV

"lha >NIL: *>>NIL:" or "dir >NIL: *>>NIL:" crashes the whole machine under 3.2, but doesn't crash on 3.1...

Also just "dir >>NIL:" takes the machine down on 3.2... so something with the appending?
Old 12 June 2021, 17:07   #655
rutra80

On clean 3.2 gurus indeed, but on 3.1.4 upgraded to 3.2 doesn't...
Old 12 June 2021, 17:42   #656
Heiroglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
Well I've only tested scrollwheel with uae. but I'd assume cocolino to work too. The scrollwheel support relies on newmouse events which is the de-facto 68k standard. You still need to install it's driver software though. The thing the os does is replace the freewheel program
I'm having no luck with it. I've even tried using the OS4 command line argument just in case. Yes, it is enabled in IControl.

If anyone else gets it working with a Cocolino, I'd love to hear how.

Otherwise I'd sure like to find a replacement that is known to work.
Old 12 June 2021, 17:52   #657
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiroglyph View Post
I'm having no luck with it. I've even tried using the OS4 command line argument just in case. Yes, it is enabled in IControl.

what does cocolinotest say ?

Also not all mouse work with cocolino - are you sure it is a ps/2 based mouse

Last edited by boemann; 12 June 2021 at 18:01.
Old 12 June 2021, 20:26   #658
Heiroglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
what does cocolinotest say ?

Also not all mouse work with cocolino - are you sure it is a ps/2 based mouse
With just the default driver options, when I scroll forward it says Fiveth Down, scroll back it says Fourth Down.

It's a PS2 mouse, no USB to PS2 adapter although I won't guarantee what the IC is in it.

Edit: I just tried an ancient MS Intellimouse with the ball and it has the same result.
Old 12 June 2021, 21:10   #659
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post

Does that mean you're no longer part of the OS3.x dev team?
Old 12 June 2021, 21:31   #660
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiroglyph View Post

I can't find it on their website anymore (well, I can see it on their startpage but once I click on it I just get "No product matches the search criteria") but I bought a scroll-wheel equipped mouse from amigakit quite some time ago that works fine with 3.2. Some custom-made one to be sure but it came with just the standard connector already in place. For use without wheel, just plug it in. If you want the wheel enabled, one line in user-startup to start the driver.

According to scout's tasklist it uses cocolino to do the job.