English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 21 August 2021, 02:40   #1
Warty

HiSoft C++ / MaxonDevelop 4.1 ... English menus???

I just wanted to play with this a bit, out of historical curiosity. I have version 4.1 professional, says version 28.10.97. The about window is in English, but literally everything else in in German, and no matter what I do, it won't switch to English. I see the catalog in Locale, and opened it and poked around, and it is in fact in English.

On the settings page for overall, under language, it shows benutze systemsprache as checked. Then Sprache field is set to "english". I would have though either would work, but nothing works?

I don't actually speak any German, so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't even know why it would get this far, it should be starting up in English.

I haven't compiled anything with it, but interface seems pretty nice so far.
Old 21 August 2021, 17:11   #2
nyteshade

I would also love to know the answer to this.
Old 21 August 2021, 18:55   #3
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

I messed with this a bit and installed it and menus were in English.

Have you tried installing it again?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hisoft C.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	72954  

Last edited by davideo; 21 August 2021 at 20:05. Reason: Updated
Old 22 August 2021, 07:51   #4
Exodous

Hisoft C++ on my main build is in English, so I've done some testing too with a fresh OS 3.1 build installed as UK / Great Britain.

On this, Hisoft C++ worked in English straight away. Resetting the build and Maxon C++ was in German.

Disk 1 of the Hisoft 4.0 package has a file:
HiSOFT_C:catalog/english/maxondev.catalog
Copy this to:
SYS:Locale/Catalogs/your_language/maxondev.catalog
My language is set to English, so the destination on mine is:
SYS:Locale/Catalogs/english/maxondev.catalog
The next time you start up Hisoft C++ or Maxon C++, with the settings in the screenshot above by @davideo (these are the default settings), they load this catalog file and the menus are in English.

Further testing showed that if this file isn't present, either Hisoft C++ or Maxon C++ are in German.
Old 22 August 2021, 20:50   #5
nyteshade

You’re awesome. Thanks so much.
Old 23 August 2021, 04:24   #6
Warty

Hmm...

1) confirmed I had the catalog/English/maxondev.catalog file in place.
2) reinstalled. no difference.
3) removed Spanish as an available system language/reboot. no difference.
4) install on WB3.1. English menus.
5) install on WB3.1.4. English menus.

So... maybe there's something about 3.2 that breaks it, locale-wise? In theory it could be MY 3.2 install of course. But it's not heavily customized or anything. Pretty vanilla in fact.

Anybody have this with right menus working in 3.2?
Old 23 August 2021, 10:56   #7
Exodous

I only got my OS 3.2 CD a couple of weeks ago and I've not rebuilt my main OS as 3.2 yet, so have just done some testing on a bare 3.2 installation.

With 3.2, installed in the default "English" or in "English British" both Hisoft and Maxon load the file SYS:Locale/Catalogs/english/maxondev.catalog, but their menus are still in German.

With 3.2 installed in "Espanol", both Hisoft and Maxon try to load the file SYS:Locale/Catalogs/espanol/maxondev.catalog (the n in espanol has the squiggle above). If I copy the catalog file to that folder, they again load the file, but their menus are still in German.

As this is a test system, I copied "locale.library" from my 3.1 build to libs: overwriting the original 3.2 version of locale.library and, with a Spanish Workbench installation and the maxondev.catalog file in the espanol catalog folder, the menus are again in English.

Therefore, this looks like there is an incompatibility between the Hisoft C++ "maxondev.catalog" file and the locale.library provided with Amiga OS 3.2.

From further testing, it seems that on Amiga OS 3.2, the new locale.library is checking that the maxondev.catalog file language matches the one for the enabled locale. This isn't defined in the catalog file and hence, whilst it is being loaded, it isn't being used.

I have uploaded a fixed maxondev.catalog file to The Zone.

Copy this to SYS:Locale/Catalogs/english/maxondev.catalog

From Workbench, open Prefs, then Locale

If the preferred language is blank, just load up Hisoft or Maxon.

If you have a preferred language set, ensure English is also in this list and Save the settings. Now load up Hisoft of Maxon.
Old 23 August 2021, 11:13   #8
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@Exodous

I had this set up on 3.9 working perfectly.

Just installed it on 3.2 and had to follow your post to get English text.

Thanks
Old 27 August 2021, 01:07   #9
Warty

Hey, that's great, thanks for figuring that out and making the change. Works great on my machine.

Now if I could just it Maxon to compile my code... that's another problem altogether though.
Old 01 September 2021, 00:10   #10
Octopus66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodous View Post
I only got my OS 3.2 CD a couple of weeks ago and I've not rebuilt my main OS as 3.2 yet, so have just done some testing on a bare 3.2 installation.

With 3.2, installed in the default "English" or in "English British" both Hisoft and Maxon load the file SYS:Locale/Catalogs/english/maxondev.catalog, but their menus are still in German.

With 3.2 installed in "Espanol", both Hisoft and Maxon try to load the file SYS:Locale/Catalogs/espanol/maxondev.catalog (the n in espanol has the squiggle above). If I copy the catalog file to that folder, they again load the file, but their menus are still in German.

As this is a test system, I copied "locale.library" from my 3.1 build to libs: overwriting the original 3.2 version of locale.library and, with a Spanish Workbench installation and the maxondev.catalog file in the espanol catalog folder, the menus are again in English.

Therefore, this looks like there is an incompatibility between the Hisoft C++ "maxondev.catalog" file and the locale.library provided with Amiga OS 3.2.

From further testing, it seems that on Amiga OS 3.2, the new locale.library is checking that the maxondev.catalog file language matches the one for the enabled locale. This isn't defined in the catalog file and hence, whilst it is being loaded, it isn't being used.

Copy this to SYS:Locale/Catalogs/english/maxondev.catalog

From Workbench, open Prefs, then Locale

If the preferred language is blank, just load up Hisoft or Maxon.

If you have a preferred language set, ensure English is also in this list and Save the settings. Now load up Hisoft of Maxon.
Amazing work!
Old 20 January 2022, 19:31   #11
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Exactly, the updated locale library has extra measures to check for catalogs integrity, and if some of essential tests fail, it will prevent it from use to avoid damage to memory and potential crash in future.

For HiSofts C++ the bug is not that critical, and this is what the library reports if you ask it to explain. If you come across other similar catalogs, you can just add the language field in one of the many catalog editing tools to fix the problem.

Locale loading problem for "LOCALE:Catalogs/english/maxondev.catalog": no usable LANG data was available

PS: On the other hand, if you try to mix some old/newer catalogs with wrong version of the software, or if it has really bad malformed strings and placeholders, then you will need to fix such catalog files badly. There are not that many around, but some popular one do surface from time to time in less popular languages, possibly done by someone not very experienced in the field.
Old 26 February 2022, 02:20   #12
bitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodous View Post
Would you mind uploading the file again? Thanks!
Old 26 February 2022, 09:05   #13
Etze
A3000-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter View Post
Would you mind uploading the file again? Thanks!

It's on the server: http://grandis.nu/eabsearch/search.p...=&httplinks=on