English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 June 2021, 01:02   #701
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
OS 3.2 should be compatible to all legacy software that worked fine with 3.1, so if you find anything abnormal please report here, the devs will look at the issue and if it is OS fault they will try to fix it in the update.
I've found a couple. Infochannel has already been mentioned.

Executive makes the workbench lock up.

Then two that I'm not sure if it is 3.2 or if it is just something odd in my setup.

Aweb and Ppaint 7. The programs start and work as they should (and no, it isn't the Aweb installer that overwrote some classes. The Aweb install was on a separate partition so I didn't need to install it again despite that my 3.2 is a clean install, just needed to add the assigns to u-s). I can flip back to the workbench screen and do stuff there.

But as soon as I quit either Aweb or Ppaint the workbench locks up. That is, as soon I try to double-click on an icon I get the busy-clock and can do nothing except rebooting.

Anyone else noticed this?
Old 15 June 2021, 01:04   #702
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
A thank you, unfortunately the translation didn't help me understand beyond my 67 years of age

That is a skin of VisualPrefs+Birdie, was on an AmigaSYS distribution?
Ah, okay. Thanks. No fan of VisualPrefs so I'll skip it even though it looks nice.
Old 15 June 2021, 01:27   #703
AMIGASYSTEM

Thank you, among other things it was hard to configure VisulPrefs besides not being graphically perfect, moreover the GUI preferences program often sent me to en bloc WinUAE (Arabuusimiehet), now I don't know if this happens only in Emulation.
Old 15 June 2021, 06:04   #704
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_Kryten2x4b View Post

Then two that I'm not sure if it is 3.2 or if it is just something odd in my setup.

Aweb and Ppaint 7. The programs start and work as they should (and no, it isn't the Aweb installer that overwrote some classes. The Aweb install was on a separate partition so I didn't need to install it again despite that my 3.2 is a clean install, just needed to add the assigns to u-s). I can flip back to the workbench screen and do stuff there.

But as soon as I quit either Aweb or Ppaint the workbench locks up. That is, as soon I try to double-click on an icon I get the busy-clock and can do nothing except rebooting.

I have most of this installed, have not noticed any trouble you mention with PPaint 7.2.1 (last free version) no idea of how 7.3.x is/if effected. Also it is very picky on the bllitter configuration and if you are running native or RTG, also setting a higher stack will help if you use plugins.

Scala MM400 worked, will have to investigate if anything changed recently that makes it fail or not. IC500 is somewhat different, so that might need custom attention.
Old 15 June 2021, 06:14   #705
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:

No, both these programs are still working fine here.
Old 15 June 2021, 09:07   #706
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
I have most of this installed, have not noticed any trouble you mention with PPaint 7.2.1 (last free version) no idea of how 7.3.x is/if effected. Also it is very picky on the bllitter configuration and if you are running native or RTG, also setting a higher stack will help if you use plugins.

Scala MM400 worked, will have to investigate if anything changed recently that makes it fail or not. IC500 is somewhat different, so that might need custom attention.
Ok. Good to know. Then it is something in my configuration that causes Aweb and Ppaint to cause problems. Which is good news since that means it is possible to fix once I find the culprit. A bit strange though since I'm using the same add-on software in u-s and wbstartup (minus some that are no longer required).

I will start using the minimal startup to see if that works. And go from there.
Old 15 June 2021, 09:52   #707
Flux

Quote:
OS 3.2 should be compatible to all legacy software that worked fine with 3.1, so if you find anything abnormal please report here, the devs will look at the issue and if it is OS fault they will try to fix it in the update.
Thanks. I’m going to hold off on 3.2 a little longer before upgrading my A1200; when I do, I’ll report back on what does and doesn’t work.
Old 15 June 2021, 11:28   #708
Daedalus

I cannot get Scala MM400 to work under a clean, fresh OS 3.2 installation. It gives the same "Can't open device: scalamm.gfx" error requestor (with the title "ScalaMM error 4:") I've seen others report. Apparently renaming graphics.library to revert to the V40 library in ROM works, but my test setup is using 3.2 ROMs so I can't rename it.

According to SnoopDOS, it tries to open scalamm.gfx with a unit number of -1 and then fails. The file is present at the location it tries, and with a 3.1.4 boot setup it works flawlessly.

If you got it to work Michael, how exactly did you do it and what's your setup? Are you sure you don't have an older version of graphics.library running?
Old 15 June 2021, 11:47   #709
Octopus66

To be honest I am surprised how few compatibility issues there are. I'm sure more will be found and corrected in due course as an update

Although I think programs like Executive will probably be left behind.
Old 15 June 2021, 19:29   #710
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_Kryten2x4b View Post

Can you elaborate on this a bit more please

Tried several scenarios and it seems to be working just fine.
Old 15 June 2021, 20:42   #711
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I cannot get Scala MM400 to work under a clean, fresh OS 3.2 installation. It gives the same "Can't open device: scalamm.gfx" error requestor (with the title "ScalaMM error 4:") I've seen others report. Apparently renaming graphics.library to revert to the V40 library in ROM works, but my test setup is using 3.2 ROMs so I can't rename it.

According to SnoopDOS, it tries to open scalamm.gfx with a unit number of -1 and then fails. The file is present at the location it tries, and with a 3.1.4 boot setup it works flawlessly.

If you got it to work Michael, how exactly did you do it and what's your setup? Are you sure you don't have an older version of graphics.library running?

SCALA problem identified, a solution is in the works. There are several issues there.
Old 15 June 2021, 22:41   #712
BigD

Does TFX work? I've never got it working on anything other than a vanilla OS3.1.
Old 15 June 2021, 23:09   #713
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this a bit more please

Tried several scenarios and it seems to be working just fine.
I don't know exactly how you tried so I'll be as thorough as I can manage.

I have Executive installed in sys:system/Executive (and is included in my path), including the prefs-file and my keyfile. It is configured to use the feedback scheduler, and some tasks are excluded from being re-scheduled on-the-fly. Mostly Magic Menu and dopus.

Since basically forever I've always launched it from user-startup as outlined in the executive docs. In other words:

run <NIL: >NIL: Executive

If I keep it enabled, the system locks up after wb is loaded. Okay, lock up is a bit harsh. It just feels that way since many programs refuses
to start. Inlucing AmiDock (in wbstartup), any MUI-based program, Dopus4, and others. I never had that problem in 3.1.4.1 or earlier.

If I comment it out from user-startup, everything works as normal.

I have found a workaround though. Not an ideal one, but one that works. If I let the system boot up completely (with executive disabled in u-s) and
then launches the executive server manually, then it works as it should.
Old 16 June 2021, 05:25   #714
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

I see, I have tried it after WB is loaded and run it from icon too.

What''s the order of things happening in your startup ?

What gets run after Executive ?

Have you tried to c:wbload it ?
Old 16 June 2021, 07:59   #715
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:

I need to double-check what the order of things is after work, but as far as I remember it is just the driver to enable the scroll-wheel in user-startup then a bunch of stuff in wbstartup. Amidock, Exchange, Assignwedge, MenuTools, SortIcons, and the usual stuff 3.2 puts there automatically. I might have forgotten something I myself put there.

Didn't think of wbload actually, but will try that as well.
Old 16 June 2021, 09:24   #716
Jope
-

Exchange 47.7 crashes if you remove Viewfonts 2 from the commodities list and then hide the Exchange window by using the close gadget.

Does not crash with the older Exchange 40.1 running under 3.2 nor 45.2 running under 3.9.

https://aminet.net/package/text/font/viewfont
Old 16 June 2021, 17:56   #717
Thoughtbubble

I have noticed some wayward behaviour using Amiga OS 3.2 and RTG Picasso96 screens. When using RTG screens and AGA screens sometimes the AGA screens won't appear when I try to switch between them using the screen gadget.
This may also be something in P96 driver system I guess, it's hard to say.
Has anyone had the same issue?
Also, mouseblanker no longer works on P96 screens, but it does work on AGA.
I previously used OS 3.1.4 with no issues.
I'm using a PicasoIV graphics card with P96 v3.0 on A4000.

Last edited by Thoughtbubble; 16 June 2021 at 18:02.
Old 16 June 2021, 20:31   #718
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughtbubble View Post
I have noticed some wayward behaviour using Amiga OS 3.2 and RTG Picasso96 screens. When using RTG screens and AGA screens sometimes the AGA screens won't appear when I try to switch between them using the screen gadget.
This may also be something in P96 driver system I guess, it's hard to say.
Has anyone had the same issue?
Also, mouseblanker no longer works on P96 screens, but it does work on AGA.
I previously used OS 3.1.4 with no issues.
I'm using a PicasoIV graphics card with P96 v3.0 on A4000.

P96 3.x introduces some new functions that OS 3.2 provides, sadly this integration is not perfect and requires some extra work from both sides to perfect. Time will show, but thanks for the report.
Old 16 June 2021, 22:32   #719
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:

No luck so far, after having tried in various combinations:

Moving executive last in u-s
Wbload it
Temporarily emptied Wbstartup
Copied executive to wbstartup
Made soft links to executive in wbstartup.

Nothing made a difference. But still works as it should if I start it manually.

Oh, and noticed Reaction based programs won't work either.

Well, I guess I need to think of something else...trying to run it from a script in wbstartup will be my next attempt.
Old 16 June 2021, 22:35   #720
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
P96 3.x introduces some new functions that OS 3.2 provides, sadly this integration is not perfect and requires some extra work from both sides to perfect. Time will show, but thanks for the report.
I'm just using the native driver, but the mouse blanker issue is present in P96 versions prior to 3.x as well. Still, even with just the native driver I still upgraded to 3.x. Some graphics were corrupted with the earlier version (as in the FAQ) so well worth the upgrade fee anyway.