English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 19 June 2020, 08:48   #81
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Perfect. Thanks Deimos! I can rip out my jump table.
Old 19 June 2020, 11:06   #82
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deimos View Post
This is how I do it:

The
"cc", "memory"
bit says that the assembly code will clobber the condition code register and memory, so disable any optimisations that depend on them. You can specify individual registers that get clobbered as well, which may allow for smarter optimisations.
If the function call trashes say d0-d7 does the compiler save/restore all the regsiters by default or do you have to specify that here to stay safe?
Old 19 June 2020, 11:33   #83
deimos
It's coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad_UK View Post
If the function call trashes say d0-d7 does the compiler save/restore all the regsiters by default or do you have to specify that here to stay safe?
You need to specify them, so probably
"d0", "d1", "d2", "d3", "d4", "d5", "d6", "d7", "cc", "memory"

You can still do the normal movem thing to save them yourself, if you prefer, but the compiler may be able to be more selective about what it saves.

EDIT: There are some caveats, such as not being allowed to modify inputs unless they're also specified as outputs, so, assuming you are passing inputs, they may have to be listed as outputs rather than as clobbers. https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/E...atch-Registers

Last edited by deimos; 19 June 2020 at 11:58.
Old 19 June 2020, 11:56   #84
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Ok with your examples and that web page it's getting clear now. Much appreciated
Old 08 July 2020, 12:16   #85
Gazzer

Error trying to follow instructions to start a project

Hi, as above. I've downloaded and installed the VScode and then installed the extension (in fact, I tried twice, uninstalling and re-installing vscode) and then, following the instructions I tried to create an empty folder, at which point I get this message:

One or more dirty editors could not be saved or reverted - try saving or reverting the dirty editors first and then try again."

I can't even guess what that means!

However pushing on, I then try to Ctrl-Shift-P and select Amiga: Init project, but get a further error "Failed to Init Project", which is probably related to the initial message , but I don't know.

And one last question (for now!) How do I do this: Open .vscode/launch.json - I don't know where to find this.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08 July 2020, 12:39   #86
deimos
It's coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzer View Post
Hi, as above. I've downloaded and installed the VScode and then installed the extension (in fact, I tried twice, uninstalling and re-installing vscode) and then, following the instructions I tried to create an empty folder, at which point I get this message:

One or more dirty editors could not be saved or reverted - try saving or reverting the dirty editors first and then try again."

I can't even guess what that means!

However pushing on, I then try to Ctrl-Shift-P and select Amiga: Init project, but get a further error "Failed to Init Project", which is probably related to the initial message , but I don't know.

And one last question (for now!) How do I do this: Open .vscode/launch.json - I don't know where to find this.

Thanks for your help.
I would guess that it's a file ownership / permission problem. Maybe there are files left over from your first attempt at installing, and maybe they're owned by the administrator account?

Where are you trying to create your empty folder?

The vscode/launch.json file will be there once you've successfully created a project.
Old 09 July 2020, 08:22   #87
Gazzer

Yes, that worked, thank you. Still got problems - nothing ever seems to work out of the box as it were - but I'll try to solve them before I come running here!
Old 02 August 2020, 14:04   #88
Nightfox

I'm using this extension to code an Amiga app and I'm following the Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual to try to open a port so that I can use console.device. CreatePort() is what I need to use but apparently that is only available in a library called amiga.lib? Is there anyway of doing this via this vscode extension?
Old 03 August 2020, 09:00   #89
deimos
It's coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
I'm using this extension to code an Amiga app and I'm following the Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual to try to open a port so that I can use console.device. CreatePort() is what I need to use but apparently that is only available in a library called amiga.lib? Is there anyway of doing this via this vscode extension?
There are several amiga.libs that you might be able to build yourself, or just take the handful of functions you need from:

https://github.com/adtools/libnix/bl...c/CreatePort.c

Code:
struct MsgPort *CreatePort(CONST_STRPTR name,LONG pri)
{ APTR SysBase = *(APTR *)4L;
  struct MsgPort *port = NULL;
  UBYTE portsig;

if ((BYTE)(portsig=AllocSignal(-1)) >= 0) {
    if (!(port=AllocMem(sizeof(*port),MEMF_CLEAR|MEMF_PUBLIC)))
      FreeSignal(portsig);
    else {
      port->mp_Node.ln_Type = NT_MSGPORT;
      port->mp_Node.ln_Pri  = pri;
      port->mp_Node.ln_Name = name;
      /* done via AllocMem
      port->mp_Flags        = PA_SIGNAL;
      */
      port->mp_SigBit       = portsig;
      port->mp_SigTask      = FindTask(NULL);
      NEWLIST(&port->mp_MsgList);
      if (port->mp_Node.ln_Name)
        AddPort(port);
    }
  }
  return port;
}
The bottom of this page https://github.com/adtools/libnix/tr...bdf3fab99cab61 has a list that might be worth looking at.
Old 03 August 2020, 13:14   #90
Nightfox

Thank you so much Deimos! Now I can maintain Kickstart 1.3 backwards compatibility for the DF0 Diskmag project I am working on! <3
Old 23 August 2020, 17:46   #91
tolkien
AmigaMan

What a great stuff! I have tried latest release 1.1.0-preview31 and works like a charm!

Only two things. Vscode shown that 'a0, 'd0' etc etc are unknown registers. It compiles right but it is strange.

And in the profiler screen I can´t see any red bar color like that in the screen showed here.

Lets play a bit more. It rocks!!
Old 24 August 2020, 11:48   #92
Spec-Chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
Vscode shown that 'a0, 'd0' etc etc are unknown registers. It compiles right but it is strange.
It's an Intellisense issue, it only knows x86 and arm, so 'a0' and 'd0' etc are alien to it, only 'eax', 'esi' etc

I'm not even sure there's a way to fix it directly, but you should be able to wrap the offending code in an
Code:
#ifndef __INTELLISENSE__
Old 25 August 2020, 11:48   #93
roondar

I've been a bit confused about this. Suppose I want to create a program that loads in data from disk. How do I get the debugger to also have this data available in the debug environment?

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here, but I've not found the correct way to do this.
Old 03 October 2020, 13:56   #94
kamelito
Zone Friend

@Bartman,

Is it possible to use your setup for AmigaOS system programming targeting 3.x too?
Old 03 October 2020, 14:48   #95
Bastich

This is really cool. Is there a way of using Visual Studio Community 2019?
Old 09 October 2020, 22:24   #96
Bartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich View Post
This is really cool. Is there a way of using Visual Studio Community 2019?
unfortunately not. This extension started out on regular Visual Studio, but it was just too buggy.
Old 09 October 2020, 22:26   #97
Bartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
@Bartman,

Is it possible to use your setup for AmigaOS system programming targeting 3.x too?
It's not intended for that purpose, but should work alright. But please first update to at least 1.1-preview33 at https://github.com/BartmanAbyss/vsco...debug/releases (will be available in the next days), because the older versions didn't have all system includes. And then use a config like 'A1200' to get KS 3.1
Old 09 October 2020, 22:28   #98
Bartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I've been a bit confused about this. Suppose I want to create a program that loads in data from disk. How do I get the debugger to also have this data available in the debug environment?

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here, but I've not found the correct way to do this.
You mean data as in non-code data? Just put it in the same directory as the output exe and load it from your program with standard dos.library. The extension maps the directory that your exe is in as 'dh1:' and it's available as the current directory.
Old 09 October 2020, 22:30   #99
Bartman

I'm not monitoring this thread as often as I probably should, so if you don't get a reply from me, try on github instead.
Old 20 August 2021, 15:54   #100
BomberMillz

This looks very good. Thanks to Bartman for the hard work.

However, is there a way of using this with VSCodium, rather than having to go on the MS marketplace?

(Thats the open-source trackerless version, which should work exactly the same internally.)