English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 17 February 2020, 19:46   #81
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
Super, great work ! And a new iBrowse version too . Gonna try it out straight away.
Does the 060 optimized version need an FPU? Eg, does it work on an 68LC060?
Hmmm... That's a good point. Yes, it may well use the FPU in the 68060 version.
Old 17 February 2020, 20:33   #82
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaura View Post
Hmmm... That's a good point. Yes, it may well use the FPU in the 68060 version.
Just checked and yes it does unfortunately...
However, the 68020-68040 version does run now on my 68LC060 (REALLY GREAT JOB!) but very, very slow.
Looking at the makefile it seems like an easy job to make the 060 version use soft float too. I guess most of the encrytion code is integer anyway so the speed impact is probably minimal?
I know I'm in the minority here (using an 68LC060) but it would be very welcome to have an FPU-less 060 version.
Old 17 February 2020, 21:01   #83
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
Just checked and yes it does unfortunately...
However, the 68020-68040 version does run now on my 68LC060 (REALLY GREAT JOB!) but very, very slow.
Looking at the makefile it seems like an easy job to make the 060 version use soft float too. I guess most of the encrytion code is integer anyway so the speed impact is probably minimal?
I know I'm in the minority here (using an 68LC060) but it would be very welcome to have an FPU-less 060 version.
I thought it would be better to let GCC use the FPU for the 060, but I kinda forgot there was a FPU-less 060! All the FPU crash reports that I saw were from 68020/030 users.

On m68k, yes, floating point use is minimal (on PPC, for example, it is used in asm versions of some algorithms to boost performance). When I disassembled the 68060 AmiSSL build, I think I spotted a couple of uses of fsin or fcos, for example, but mainly I think GCC just makes use of the FPU registers as extra storage space, to reduce the need to make standard register saves to the stack.

I'll do some checking to make sure soft float doesn't affect performance the 68060, but unfortunately you'll have to wait until AmiSSL 4.5 for the fix. But, it will not take 12 months for an update this time . I have a few more things I want to check in AmiSSL, such as possible memory leaks in OpenSSL and also to see if I can figure out why OpenSSL does not work correctly when using a higher GCC optimisation level on m68k.
Old 18 February 2020, 04:37   #84
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Futaura and all!

I'm (super) happy to report that I can now browse HTTPS sites from my A4000/30

Wonderful!
Cheers!
Old 21 February 2020, 21:21   #85
mousehouse

Quote:
GCC 4.0.4 is used for OS4, simply because this is the newest with working baserel support. That is the main requirement/limitation - the compiler must support base relative data. For OS3, the pointer to the data is in the library base - every process that opens AmiSSL gets a unique library base with a copy of the data section. I'm not sure if the WarpOS GCC supports baserel data?
I have no idea either... However there seems to be a smart guy that has gotten GCC 6.2 running on 68k, https://franke.ms/amiga/gcc.wiki Maybe I can get the warpos stuff in there as well.

But how would I go about building AmiSSL as I assume I cannot just compile for WarpOS and create PPC-based libraries for OS3.x.
Old 22 February 2020, 14:41   #86
Futaura

No, many changes would be necessary to the AmiSSL code, which I'd be prepared to handle, but there isn't much point if there isn't a capable compiler. Then you have to wonder if the performance benefit will be outweighed by 68k<->PPC context switches.

Thinking about it some more, the GCC I use for building dnetc for WarpOS, is the same one as for PowerUp. Just have to perform some trickery at the linking stage to get it into the right format for WarpOS. However, shared libraries are a different beast - they need to be mixed 68k (for the library interface) and PPC, as I know from the WarpDTs, for example. The GCC solution can't be used to build mixed target WarpOS binaries AFAIK (hence, why I use VBCC for the WarpDTs), so there would have to be a small 68k library which then loaded the extra PPC part from disk.

I'm not sure about the GCC 6.x solution even for 68k - not sure if it has changed, but at one point I read that it does not support some of the AmigaOS specific features (-mrestore-a4, for example), which AmiSSL absolutely needs. Binutils must support baserel properly too.
Old 27 February 2020, 08:55   #87
Storm
SYS64738

The whole browsing of the internet on the Amiga is a lot faster now. Great job done to those involved!
Old 28 February 2020, 11:37   #88
hexaae
Bug hunter

BTW, why did TimberWolf or Amizilla projects (FFox port to the AmigaOS) failed?
The missing of a modern browser with CSS and HTML5 compatibility is a real problem on the AmigaOS (OS3, AOS4)...
Old 28 February 2020, 19:52   #89
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
So it's no longer in fashion, that you install each AmiSSL version on top of each other starting from the oldest? :-)

I guess it's faster to install the newest and manually copy the different SSL engines into amissl:libs/amissl

It's very much still in fashion. I've had it installed in a different directory since the 90's and updating over the older isn't a problem here. As you probably know, if you had any Online programs using (Ami)SSL then just "Avail Flush" and you shouldn't have to reset. I haven't had to reset (reboot) my A4000 or WinUAE installs yet.

Outside of this.. IBrowse Updated and AmiSSL..Finally, not causing my CSPPC to be sluggish. Wee!

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 28 February 2020 at 19:58.
Old 28 February 2020, 20:53   #90
Mathesar

Quote:
I thought it would be better to let GCC use the FPU for the 060, but I kinda forgot there was a FPU-less 060! All the FPU crash reports that I saw were from 68020/030 users.

On m68k, yes, floating point use is minimal (on PPC, for example, it is used in asm versions of some algorithms to boost performance). When I disassembled the 68060 AmiSSL build, I think I spotted a couple of uses of fsin or fcos, for example, but mainly I think GCC just makes use of the FPU registers as extra storage space, to reduce the need to make standard register saves to the stack.

I'll do some checking to make sure soft float doesn't affect performance the 68060, but unfortunately you'll have to wait until AmiSSL 4.5 for the fix. But, it will not take 12 months for an update this time . I have a few more things I want to check in AmiSSL, such as possible memory leaks in OpenSSL and also to see if I can figure out why OpenSSL does not work correctly when using a higher GCC optimisation level on m68k.
Thanks for looking into it. For now I just use the 020/030 version. Having support for tls1.3, albeit slow, is already a huge improvement. I can now access sites that were just not accessibel at all!

PS: Great that AmiSSL is on aminet as well as downloading from the official site requires… tls1.3
Old 28 February 2020, 22:38   #91
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

tls1.3? Darn if somebody port it to AROS am tempted to wipe my XP netbook ^^
Old 13 April 2020, 19:43   #92
Mathesar

Quote:
I just installed AmiSSL 4.5. It works perfectly on my 68LC060 so I just bought a new key for iBrowse 2.5
Well done
Old 19 December 2020, 15:19   #93
AMIGASYSTEM

AmiSSL 4.7 Update, information and download link on the first page
Old 31 December 2020, 14:03   #94
Mathesar

Upgraded! Works here :-)
Old 23 August 2021, 12:36   #95
rabidgerry

Before I go installing this do I need any previous versions or software? Or can I just extract the 4.7.lha and should be good to go?
Old 23 August 2021, 12:56   #96
AMIGASYSTEM

It depends, some very old applications do not recognize the new libraries and will require the old ones, in any case when it happens it will be required

Latest is AmiSSL v4.9 (updated News)

https://aminet.net/package/util/libs/AmiSSL-4.9

https://github.com/jens-maus/amissl/releases/4.9
Old 23 August 2021, 13:10   #97
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
It depends, some very old applications do not recognize the new libraries and will require the old ones, in any case when it happens it will be required

Latest is AmiSSL v4.9 (updated News)

https://aminet.net/package/util/libs/AmiSSL-4.9

https://github.com/jens-maus/amissl/releases/4.9

Should I just install it and then see how it goes?

When you say older applications, web browsers?

Ok will download v4.9 now instead
Old 23 August 2021, 13:41   #98
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Yeah, just install it and go. The only previous version you might need would be 4.3, due to some issues around it that make software linked to that particular version locked to it. But if you run any such programs, you'll know then and can deal with it at that time!
Old 23 August 2021, 13:54   #99
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
Yeah, just install it and go. The only previous version you might need would be 4.3, due to some issues around it that make software linked to that particular version locked to it. But if you run any such programs, you'll know then and can deal with it at that time!
Old 23 August 2021, 14:52   #100
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
When you say older applications, web browsers?

Ok will download v4.9 now instead
No also Applications, for example YAM requires AmiSSL v3.5

In this case you don't have to install anything but just copy the old library by hand, AmiSSL libraries have different names for each version, so they can coexist.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 September 2021 at 17:32.