English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 May 2022, 13:19   #21
JonSick

I ordered something early in the year from AmigaKit. It was a floppy and power cable and a fancy optical mouse. On Jan 7th they did email to tell me there was an issue with the supply of Amtel chips and not heard anything since. I get it, there is a world shortage but would have preferred some sort of update by now.

I haven't chased it yet, life got in the way. But I shall do shortly.

In general with these Amiga dealers, I believe a certain scope for benefit of the doubt should kinda come into play. I get the impression that most of these places like AK and Retropassion are run on a skeleton crew and if delays happen, it's mainly just only human. I've dealt with both these companies before and I have taken on the mantra that it's not like Amazon, it's doubtful that you'll get your gear next day and sometimes you may have to expect a month or two wait. Things happen, this is the world as it is right now, it's a thing.

That said, I should really chase my order as I'm starting a project in a couple of weeks that it was meant for.

I did my order through eBay. I don't think AK are trying to do anything dodgy. While I'm coming close to the order not being actionable if it has fallen flat, I still have faith that AK are above board and whatever delays are just what they are. Of course I know nothing of the internals of any of the Amiga suppliers I've dealt with, pure guesswork on my part.
Old 18 May 2022, 19:21   #22
BSzili
old chunk of coal

From what I've gathered, the common complaint in these threads is not so much the delays, but the lack of communication when there's some problem. Not picking up the phone, not answering e-mails, etc. This erodes trust, and makes people think twice before ordering from them.
Old 18 May 2022, 20:29   #23
lilwshu

There are documented cases of people waiting literally years for Amigakit to deliver things and ignoring requests to know what is going on - whether they are trying to be dodgy or not is irrelevant if they can't do the thing they exist to do in a reasonable amount of time.

If it wasn't for the fairly limited competition they would have gone out of business years ago, and that is true of various other Amiga shops/service companies with extremely poor aftersales service (Amigastore, Retropassion are two I have personally experienced).
Old 21 May 2022, 16:17   #24
Flux

I’m pleased to say my AmigaKit order arrived last week. As others have already said, comms is the big problem. You have no idea if you’ll be waiting days, weeks, or months. An occasional email update would make all the difference.

I’m just awaiting my external Gotek drive from RetroPassion. Then my A1200 reinstall will begin. :-)
Old 21 May 2022, 18:36   #25
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
As others have already said, comms is the big problem. You have no idea if you’ll be waiting days, weeks, or months. An occasional email update would make all the difference.
years..half a decade...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-05-21.png
Views:	281
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	75625  
Old 22 May 2022, 07:46   #26
Wiking67
Blowing Out The Flame

Send a message via MSN to Wiking67
thay ignore my mails
Old 22 May 2022, 10:21   #27
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
years..half a decade...
If that is real. And they took your payment. It's criminial, literally
Old 24 May 2022, 15:44   #28
JonSick

Welp, my order too has shown up in the last week. Like all these things, I'm still willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Amiga survives as a passion project for those that do it in my view.
Old 24 May 2022, 15:48   #29
JonSick

Quote:
years..half a decade...
I just want to play devil's advocate here but the soundcard listed has already been end-of-life'd by the manufacturer and has been for some time.

If the thing is simply never going to be manufactured anymore, it does sort of suggest that this is one order that can never be filled.

Have you contacted AmigaKit about cancelling? I mean, at this stage I'm not sure what else you can do...
Old 25 May 2022, 11:24   #30
cz101

Just a quick thank you to AmigaKit.com
Good comms, well packed, 2 day delivery, great value.
Looking forward to fitting my 1200 compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter.
Good stuff.
Old 25 May 2022, 16:21   #31
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

I talked to Amigakit even in person on one of the Amiga shows.... Amiga34? I told to send only the Amiga sound card.

Sent mails. Complained here (then sometimes I got a pm asking for the order number and then nothing).

I see the money as lost. But sometimes a topic like this comes up.... I also lost my Blizzard PPC to JJB and an A3640 to some other repair guy in the Netherlands. I must be unlucky. Not even counting the time I was scammed out of money for a Commodore PC-60 III tower
Old 25 May 2022, 16:50   #32
BigD

You HAVE been unlucky! AmigaKit never reply to general queries as a rule of thumb.

I know they have joystick/mouse switcher motherboards ready to populate for a CD32 compatible joypad switcher (product code: JOYMSESW2) but they refuse to say when they will get round to selling them and I've asked at least twice! They also refuse to answer questions on the Prisma Megamix so I in return have never bought one! I'm sure that they lose a lot of sales that way!
Old 17 June 2022, 19:56   #33
Flux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I’m pleased to say my AmigaKit order arrived last week. As others have already said, comms is the big problem. You have no idea if you’ll be waiting days, weeks, or months. An occasional email update would make all the difference.

I’m just awaiting my external Gotek drive from RetroPassion. Then my A1200 reinstall will begin. :-)
Alas, RetroPassion seem to have gone the way of AmigaKit. My RetroPassion order from April still hasn’t shipped.

Last week I got an email notification saying a Royal Mail shipping label had been created. My hopes raised, I looked forward to my parcel of Amiga goodness this week, but nothing arrived.

So, I check the Royal Mail tracking and it says “The sender has advised us they're preparing your item. More information will be available when we receive it.”

It’s been eight weeks since I placed my RetroPassion order. I have contacted them twice: by email and via the form on their web site, but haven’t had a response beyond the “shipping label” email. If I login to my RetroPassion account my order status shows as “Completed”.

I want to support small Amiga dealers, but some of them make it so hard.
Old 20 June 2022, 15:56   #34
Flux

I have better news this morning

Royal Mail report they have my item:

Your item was posted at the Royal Mail Customer Service Point... on 20-06-2022.

Fingers crossed all will be well.
Old 24 June 2022, 21:34   #35
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
You HAVE been unlucky! AmigaKit never reply to general queries as a rule of thumb.

I know they have joystick/mouse switcher motherboards ready to populate for a CD32 compatible joypad switcher (product code: JOYMSESW2) but they refuse to say when they will get round to selling them and I've asked at least twice! They also refuse to answer questions on the Prisma Megamix so I in return have never bought one! I'm sure that they lose a lot of sales that way!
Well.... I got a notification that I had to pay some customs duty.. for something worth 21 Euro. And with the UK out of the EU that added to 8 Euros....

Looking further it is some package from AmigaKit. I wonder what it is... It won't be the Prisma card for that price, I am sure..
Old 04 July 2022, 10:28   #36
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Thank you, AmigaKit!

Quote:
Well.... I got a notification that I had to pay some customs duty.. for something worth 21 Euro. And with the UK out of the EU that added to 8 Euros....

Looking further it is some package from AmigaKit. I wonder what it is... It won't be the Prisma card for that price, I am sure..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220704_102730.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	748.4 KB
ID:	75930  
Old 04 July 2022, 10:35   #37
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Nice. Only 5 years late!

Did you ever get the other half of that order? The CMI8738 PCIe [sic] sound card?
Old 04 July 2022, 10:42   #38
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Nice. Only 5 years late!

Did you ever get the other half of that order? The CMI8738 PCIe [sic] sound card?
It's in the picture. The small card.
Old 04 July 2022, 12:00   #39
Leon Besson
Banned

I ordered a few things whilst in the U.K from them and they turned up a couple of days later.
Old 17 July 2022, 13:04   #40
E-Penguin
Banana

Steve has done most of my recapping, he's legit. Possibly over worked and under resourced at times but aren't we all these days...