English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 13 April 2022, 03:30   #1
Xtal

Floppy disk replacement for telser.device

I used to run a BBS on my Amiga. It could be connected to the internet by using telser.device.

telser.device is obsolete,because every incoming call had to be configured to answer on a specific port.

So,
DEVICE=telser.device UNIT=0 PORT=4000
DEVICE=telser.device UNIT=1 PORT=4001
DEVICE=telser.device UNIT=255 PORT=4255

(The system is Excelsior! BBS)

SOMEONE must have figured out a round-robin system for a telnet<->serial better than telser.device...

(On the Amiga side I still WILL have to configure dialup nodes lines with proper devices and units. Naturally. Amiga can't "Share" a device unit number between sessions. Thank god .-) )

What I'm looking for is a equivalent to telser.device being able to work as telser.device UNIT n PORT 22'ish behaviour being able to route a telnet session into a free port....

(As it is today ppl have to try to telnet my host:_port and if busy try another port....)

Correction before I get flamed: PORT 23 is TELNET. Port 22 is SSH :-) (SSH would be nice too but somewhat overkill right now...)
Correction #2 PORT= :-P

/X

Last edited by Xtal; 13 April 2022 at 16:27.
Old 13 April 2022, 08:20   #2
patrik

There is telnetd.device which can use the same port and RING to the available/configured nodes til one answers. I thought telser.device could do this too, but was just more complicated to configure?
Old 20 April 2022, 12:18   #3
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

back in the day on ami-express when we ran telnet nodes (before I added proper telnet support to v5) we always used telnetd.device rather than telser.device - to be fair telnetd.device isn't perfect by any means and often breaks when its constantly being hit by spammers if you run it on the standard port.