English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 04 February 2019, 14:01   #1
Aylz

2 little projects for Indivision AGA and Micro gotek

I've been working on a couple of small projects for a while now (for too long! due to severely limited time) and I thought I would share what I have done

I use my A1200 exclusively with a HDMI monitor so i have an indivision AGA Mk2cr and disliked that I had a DVI cable hanging out of the back with a chunky DVI to HDMI adapter, followed by the HDMI cable. So I decided to make a little PCB that could be mounted where the RF modulator used to live with a cable to plug straight into the indivision and give me a HDMI connector at the back:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190204_105733.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	61903

Name:	IMG_20190204_105745.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	61904

Name:	IMG_20190204_115213.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	61905

Name:	IMG_20190204_115344.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	61909

As for my second little project, I have a micro gotek and was wondering about the best way to mount the encoder, screen etc and decided to make a PCB to stick out the side where a floppy disk would be inserted. I realised at this point I could imitate the look of a floppy (which i took a little too far since I imitated the size, shape and even the metal cover which won't be visible once mounted)

I also use a microsd as my hard drive so I decided to incorporate an extender into the adapter. Finally, as my Amiga has a picoPSU inside and i've been hanging the power cable out the back of the case, I added a power switch and barrel jack to the design that would plug into the power adapter inside the Amiga (I probably over engineered the whole thing but, meh)

Apologies for the dust on the PCB, i've been sitting on this for a while

Name:	IMG_20190204_115011.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	61906

Name:	IMG_20190204_115041.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	61907

The board can also take the thinner style of led screen as seen below (still covered in flux and with a really badly cut label stuck on hah)

Name:	IMG_20190204_114948.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	61908

All thats left is to improve the floppy label sticking on the back and mount it half inside my A1200 somehow. I was thinking something 3D printed that would clip/screw onto the PCB and then could screw from the bottom of the case through the original floppy mounting holes? I'm not sure, I have zero 3d printing experience.
Old 04 February 2019, 14:03   #2
lesta_smsc

This is pretty awesome! Where did you get PCB made on a single scale?
Old 04 February 2019, 14:33   #3
Aylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
This is pretty awesome! Where did you get PCB made on a single scale?
Thanks.

I didn't, i have about 10 unpopulated PCBs of each left over (more if you include the ones where i screwed up the SD extender).
Old 04 February 2019, 14:58   #4
wiz12

Do you any plans to sell these extra PCBs?
Old 04 February 2019, 15:13   #5
Aylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Do you any plans to sell these extra PCBs?
I'm more than happy to sell the little HDMI PCBs. I have some spare cables, hdmi connectors etc so i could sell a few of them complete too if anyone wanted one.

As for the floppy PCB, I'm doing some sketchy things with it for the label to sit flat. I used through hole parts as they were easier/cheaper to source (finding surface mount switches and rotary encoders proved difficult and a little pricey) so I had to file down some parts for the label to fit right.

I made that decision as I didn't mind for my own use, but not so sure for other people? But i could easily redesign it to use surface mount parts instead if i can find a good supply and people wanted them.
Old 04 February 2019, 15:17   #6
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylz View Post
I'm more than happy to sell the little HDMI PCBs. I have some spare cables, hdmi connectors etc so i could sell a few of them complete too if anyone wanted one.

As for the floppy PCB, I'm doing some sketchy things with it for the label to sit flat. I used through hole parts as they were easier/cheaper to source (finding surface mount switches and rotary encoders proved difficult and a little pricey) so I had to file down some parts for the label to fit right.

I made that decision as I didn't mind for my own use, but not so sure for other people? But i could easily redesign it to use surface mount parts instead if i can find a good supply and people wanted them.

Nice, I'd be interested in buying one if you have the time to make another. How much would it cost roughly?
Old 04 February 2019, 15:36   #7
Aylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Nice, I'd be interested in buying one if you have the time to make another. How much would it cost roughly?
for the HDMI PCB i have plenty of time, and they're really cheap to get all the parts to make so about £8-£9 + something for postage would cover my costs.

for the floppy PCB, if you're comfortable with it as is I have plenty of time to make some up, I'd need to check costs of the parts list but i'd guess around £20 + something for postage (probably cheaper, i'd need to check the costs of all the parts tonight, i'm not interested in making money from this, it would be more about covering costs)

If you would prefer i redesign the floppy PCB, probably be a couple of weeks since I have some deadlines coming up soon that I need to focus on first. No idea on pricing on that one but it would be more than the current one, I could get a better idea on cost tonight when I get home.
Old 04 February 2019, 17:04   #8
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylz View Post
for the HDMI PCB i have plenty of time, and they're really cheap to get all the parts to make so about £8-£9 + something for postage would cover my costs.

for the floppy PCB, if you're comfortable with it as is I have plenty of time to make some up, I'd need to check costs of the parts list but i'd guess around £20 + something for postage (probably cheaper, i'd need to check the costs of all the parts tonight, i'm not interested in making money from this, it would be more about covering costs)

If you would prefer i redesign the floppy PCB, probably be a couple of weeks since I have some deadlines coming up soon that I need to focus on first. No idea on pricing on that one but it would be more than the current one, I could get a better idea on cost tonight when I get home.

Will send you a pm and sort something out.
Old 11 September 2020, 15:11   #9
Ulysses13

Hello.

I just received my Indivision MK3 and I'd LOVE one of those little PCBs to use my vacant RF Modulator slot for the HDMI port.

Can I purchase one of these? It's EXACTLY what I've been looking for!

(Love the Floppy PCB by the way, excellent job)
Old 11 September 2020, 19:50   #10
demon-knight
Blitter

I got one from him last year and it has been great much better than a bulky dvi connector

EDIT Pic

Old 12 September 2020, 09:37   #11
Ulysses13

I've sent a DM, so fingers crossed. @demon-knight - that looks great - nice and tidy.

Did it screw into existing holes on the board?
Old 13 September 2020, 08:24   #12
LieutLaww

I would be interested in one of the HDMI pcb's
Old 13 September 2020, 19:25   #13
demon-knight
Blitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses13 View Post
I've sent a DM, so fingers crossed. @demon-knight - that looks great - nice and tidy.

Did it screw into existing holes on the board?
It did use existing holes, very tidy design looks perfect in place of RF socket.
Old 06 October 2020, 13:16   #14
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I would like some of those of HDMI ports aswell!

Exactly what I need for some A1200 restos I am doing.
Old 25 November 2022, 00:29   #15
devnull

Any chance anybody knows of these still available anywhere?