English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 October 2001, 15:06   #61
Tim Janssen

Thumbs down Moonwalking in Hudson Hawk

A game which is not crap but bloody uncontrollable is Ocean's Hudson Hawk! Has anyone ever tried to play this game for more than 5 minutes? If so, they are really heroes. The main character in this game has an inertia effect. This means when you stop moving the joystick in a direction, the sprite has the tendency to walk a few seconds more in that direction.
The inertia effect can really get irritating in later levels when pixel-perfect movements are required.
On the other hand, Hudson Hawk has the funniest disc loading routine I have ever witnissed: while loading the game the discdrive makes some whirring noises which get repeatingly louder and longer. I always called it the 'Ping-pong load routine'.
Old 19 October 2001, 15:16   #62
Amigaboy

I loved Hudson Hawk. I think it's one of Ocean's finest games

It plays well (believe it or not), it looks great, and it sounds cool too

Top notch gaming there. A big thumb up from me

Old 19 October 2001, 15:43   #63
Tim Janssen

Eek Are you serious?

Amigaboy,
Are you serious about Hudson Hawk? It's only an above-average Ocean game. There are many better ones around (Batman the Movie, Midnight Resistance, Lethal Weapon). Okay, Hudson has great sounds and graphics but gameplay-wise it stinks. One can get used to the uncontrollable sprite but it is not right.
Old 19 October 2001, 15:50   #64
Amigaboy

I'm totally serious

I know there's a lot of other platformers which are way better, but I really love Hudson Hawk. I do find it very playable (only on a real Amiga. I don't think it'd be much fun using emulation)

Old 19 October 2001, 18:09   #65
Amiga1992

And I'm totally and positively serious about seconding Amigaboy's view. Hudson Hawk is a jewel not to be missed. Just get used to the guy's inertia!

The C64 version was as sleek as the Amiga one. I love it!
Old 19 October 2001, 18:29   #66
Drake1009

I have to agree. Hudson hawk is brilliant. Lethal weapon on the other hand. Well... Let's just say, I remembered both games from seeing them at a friend (Together with Addams family).

I spent a long time searching for these games, Hudson hawk and Lethal weapon were hard to find, and so was a full version of Addams family instead of the Demo.

I like Addams family. I know it's a run of the mill platformer and everything, it's still good.

Hudson hawk though a bit hard to play until you get used to it is great.

Lethal weapon...well...I was just disappointed, I had remembered the game to be better, instead I got bored with it very very fast. Good platformer, but I'm afraid it gets drawn out too quickly. Something about Hudson hawk makes you want to come back.
Old 20 October 2001, 01:12   #67
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Lightbulb

Now, as I see this thread back to life, I remind another shitty Amigagame:

Last Battle by Elite

The gameplay is rather bad, also grafix aren't great, but the worst thing of it all is the difficulty !
You get a energy bar which is myabe enough to make level 1, but if you expect it to be replenished after that then you are wrong, because it seems that this game's ~20 levels have to be done just with that little shitty energy

I cannot believe Elite produced that crap since they did one of my favourite game on the C64, Ghosts'n Goblins !!
Old 20 October 2001, 08:01   #68
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I like Hudson Hawk a lot too... yeah, the inertia is crap (I always prefer platforms games with no inertia), but you can get the hang of it with time...

Taken from The One's review:
"Ocean gave more attention to the film than the director himself"

Know, what about this "demo" of Addams Familly? is that version that has only one stage, and when you beat the boss, you are locked in the boss room? I didn't know that was a demo, I always thought it was a crap beta spreaded by a stupid pirate..

Funnily enough, usually the games we hate the most are usually the harder ones too..
Old 20 October 2001, 11:37   #69
Drake1009

Shadow of the beast II was hard but still I don't hate it Shatterhand.

Well maybe it might've been a Beta as you said Shatterhand, but seeing as I haven't seen many betas of games on the Amiga I just assumed it was a demo. Especially since the version is about as bugless as the real game is.
Old 20 October 2001, 20:39   #70
Amiga1992

Really hard games get that love-hate status that make'em an instant hit in my collection

Yesterday I've been dissing Gradius 2 on the MSX because I just cant pass teh stupid first level :P I hate having to play with those strange cursor keys!

Katakis on teh meega has that evilness factor that makes me want to go back at it everytime
Old 21 October 2001, 01:27   #71
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Ok ok, what I meant was that usually the games we hate are usually hard too, but that's usually because they are uncontrollabe or too unbalanced... and this leads to bad gameplay...

Really hard games with GOOD gameplay are usually welcome.

@Akira

bah, you suck, level 1 is very easy, and those strange cursor keys rule!...... (Yah know I just like to piss you off )
Old 21 October 2001, 02:32   #72
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Wink

Ha, Akira, to piss you off even more:

Amiga Katakis can be finished ( without any trainers of course )
I did it a long time ago, but I admit it was very hard.
But it wasn't that good compared to the excellent all time favourite C64 version, which had 12 levels instead of the Amiga version's poor 6...
Old 22 October 2001, 10:31   #73
Tim Janssen

Arrow Bottom of the Ocean

Wow, never knew Ocean's Hudson Hawk was appreciated by so many. I still think this game is irritating but since I have this game still on disc I must like it in some way or another (thanks to the cheat-option). The game was slagged off in the January 1992 of Amiga Joker with a score of 45% (I think). They only devoted half a page to the game and were mainly complaining about the inertia effect.

The only version of Ocean's The Addams Family I own is probably the 1-disc demo version. It has Gomez dodging traps and enemies in a purple-coloured cellar. This game has also a very, very irritating inertia-factor. Unlike Shatterland I have never managed to make it to the endboss.
Old 22 October 2001, 18:19   #74
Amiga1992

Arrr you braggers

Shatterhand: I die because I am stupid. Those shitty heads keep spitting shurikens at my back :P And I cant get used to the keys because the MissX (nice one Retroman ) is in an uncomfortable place I will finish this bastard, it costed me pretty penny

Overdoc: Gah, excellent. I really suck at games I preferred the C64 version as well! I dont have time enough to master them anymore. Back then I used to spend many hours at games and finally managed to master them, but now I just cant dedicate such solid gameplay hours to any of my gaems
Old 22 October 2001, 20:43   #75
Drake1009

Tim : The full version is only 1 disk, but instead you start in front of the mansion instead of the purple dungeon.
Old 10 February 2002, 00:08   #76
oldpx

Most of the ocean games are utter crap. Especially the games of movies like total recall. I must add Aliens to that but I don't remember if it was ocean or not.

I'm sorry to hear people hate dragon's lair that much but I understand the reasons. It was an arcade game, and had quite different (and poor) gameplay compared to other games of that era. Being 11 disks (edit: 8 disks, my memory is poor on numbers) it was nearly unplayable on an amiga, with these factors combined, we have a totally unplayable crap. I like don bluth's work as an animator but I see I cannot defend him about that. (He's the guy who designed dragon's lair and space ace). Actually animations in these games are quite rich in detail but these games are just experimental attempts of him in the video gaming industry so they are not made by someone who is in the gaming industry for long and knows a big deal about game dynamics. being arcade games they could survive for arcade games are meant to be evil . But they have no attraction as amiga games especially with ECS color palette . Anyway his spirit as an animator is fading with every new movie he makes and these were the best works of him in aspect of animation. Dragon's Lair and Space ace.

Last edited by Burseg; 10 February 2002 at 00:15.

Old 10 February 2002, 01:41   #77
Drake1009

Speaking of Don Bluth. I recently bought Titan AE on DVD. When I watched it I was for some reason constantly reminded of something slightly dragon's lair or space ace like. I don't know what it was, some of the sequences and such I think just reminded me of those games. I was indeed surprised to find Don Bluth's name in the credits.
Old 10 February 2002, 01:46   #78
oldpx

Titan AE is notorious of abusing the rotoscoping (technique of drawing over the photographs. kinda lame) I like the movie unlike anyone else that watched it . I think the 3D objects, and the enemies were cool in the movie. However, they have some extremely "cartoony" characters along with realistic drawings that make an absurd world.

Old 10 February 2002, 08:51   #79
Drake1009

The world is indeed absurd. Still fairly good. Just can't imagine why they'd come up with that name for the planet.
Old 10 February 2002, 18:02   #80
Andrew

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew
Kick Off2

I know that this will not go down very well with some. I had heard a lot of hype about Kickoff 2 so when I finally bought it and played it, i was incredibly disapointed. What were the programmers thinking when they developed the control system?