English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 August 2010, 16:06   #1
Old Fool
Zone Friend

PHILIPS CD-I gamepad controller & Amiga

I got a freebie: Philips CD-I gamepad controller in mint condition.

I noticed it's actually almost the same controller as Amiga's white "Tecno" gamepad which is quite good (I know, I have it also). The only differences are that this Philips one looks better (it's dark grey instead of white). Of course the plug is different, in Philips it looks like PS/2 with 8-pin.

Is there adapter to use CD-I controller in Amiga? Is the circuit same eg. if I modify the cable to fit in Amiga will it work?

But it would be shame to destroy it since I think these controllers are quite rare...
Old 31 August 2010, 16:50   #2
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
I got a freebie: Philips CD-I gamepad controller in mint condition.

I noticed it's actually almost the same controller as Amiga's white "Tecno" gamepad which is quite good (I know, I have it also). The only differences are that this Philips one looks better (it's dark grey instead of white). Of course the plug is different, in Philips it looks like PS/2 with 8-pin.

Is there adapter to use CD-I controller in Amiga? Is the circuit same eg. if I modify the cable to fit in Amiga will it work?

But it would be shame to destroy it since I think these controllers are quite rare...
Leave the cable as is, make an adapter. I can't find a quick google on what the pin out for it is, but doubtful for CD32 / CDTV, possible for classic Amiga.
Old 31 August 2010, 19:19   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Old Fool,

I have a Philips 470 CD-i player. I'll see if I can find the manual for it and get you the controller pinouts.
Old 31 August 2010, 20:10   #4
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Old Fool,

I have a Philips 470 CD-i player. I'll see if I can find the manual for it and get you the controller pinouts.
EXCELLENT!!! Thanks allready.

By the way what do you think about CD-I machine? Here in Finland one is currently sold at 50eur with some games...
Old 31 August 2010, 20:32   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
EXCELLENT!!! Thanks allready.
I've had a quick look, but I haven't found it yet. It might take me a day or two. I can't even remember what it looks like now. It's even possible that it's packaged in a jewel case not unlike that of a CD.

Quote:
By the way what do you think about CD-I machine? Here in Finland one is currently sold at 50eur with some games...
I actually bought mine for playing VideoCDs and CD-i FMV (Full Motion Video) titles, and for that it gives a picture far better than anything else I've tried (the 470 CD-i player has a built-in FMV cartridge; some other players require one to be added in order to play these).

The player arrived with a standard controller which was so unresponsive that it was hopeless for playing games with, but I bought a mouse for it and that was fine.

The games are quite difficult to get now, so one that comes bundled with a few is much better than one without, and well worth €50 I would say. The games are quite simple and addictive in an Atari 2600 sort of way, but the picture quality is much, much better than that. Pinball is one of the better games on CD-i.
Old 31 August 2010, 21:49   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

In the meantime, after a quick online search I came up with this:

CD-i Player Serial Pinout Pin
1 not connected
2 RXD
3 TXD
4 DTR* (used as a power supply)
5 GND
6 CTS
7 RTS
8 +5V

which I found here.
Old 01 September 2010, 23:19   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

@Old Fool,

Bad news. I've found the 'manual' for my Philips 470 CD-i player, but it's a Tutorial Disc (User Instructions) in CD-i format and I don't think it will have the information you are looking for.

I've tried to read it on my PC, but it won't play. I was hoping to take a screen capture if anything interesting showed up, but now it looks like I'll have to run it on the CD-i player and use freeze frame if the pinouts are mentioned and give you a text file and/or drawing instead.
Old 02 September 2010, 00:40   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

The CDI control pad is a Serial Device.

you would need the following

1. Serial interface that
  • (a) interprets Serial code
  • (b) converts Serial signal code to Digital output

if you dont have an idea on the serial protocol then this is just not going to happen.

your best bet in this instance is to grab a dead 2 or more button joystick (like a honeybee or dead CD32 pad) - steal the wire / connector (and ore small IC pcb) and then wire up the buttons and pad with the reclaimed cable-connector.

its a lot of work to be honest - but if you really like the feel of a CD-i joypad then this will certainly be your cup of tea.
Old 03 September 2010, 13:06   #9
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Thank you all for great answers!

I'm planning to open both contorollers: Amiga Tecno and this CD-1. I allready have a spare Amiga 9-pin controller cord to use. Probably both controllers have same kind of circuit board because their identical to look at. My only problem is that I don't have any idea will the coloured cables match eg. will the spare cord have all the same color wires in the same pin layot than in the Tecno pad...
Old 04 September 2010, 00:28   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

@Old Fool,

More bad news, I'm afraid.

I've played the Tutorial Disc for my Philips 470 CD-i player, but it's really no more than basic user instructions, a simple point and shoot game for practice with the (useless for gaming) infrared controller, and details of the add-ons and CD-i titles available.

There are no technical details about anything!